Can I ask a Craigslist/safety question in here?

Ok, I think this is probably the best place in the forum for this question but, mods, feel free to move it if I'm wrong.

Have you ladies ever sold on Craigslist? I have a pair of designer shoes that I'm trying to get rid of (too small) and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of ebay/getting things approved/listing fees, so I put them up on Craigslist. There is a lady interested and she wants to come over to try the shoes on. I think this is a legitimate request but I'm kind of weirded out about giving a random person on the internet my address. Do you think I'm being paranoid? Have any of you gals sold anything on Craigslist and had the person come to your house to pay you/pick up the item?

TIA!:smile:

Only when it's furniture. The best, IMO, is to meet in a public place--a Starbucks, for example. Ask her to bring stockings if she wants to try on the shoes.

For more information, do a search for "craigslist" and you will find lots of threads about it. ;)

You are by no means being paranoid at all. Don't give anyone your address. There are too many crazy people out there. I agree with KZ if you are going to allow her to try them on then meet in a very public place...which I probably wouldn't even do that but that's just me.:biggrin:

I've done it many times with no problems. But one has to be smart--talk to potential buyers first via email, then by phone. If any red flags pop up, I just stay away. For every one potential buyer I've met, there are over a dozen I've blown off.

i had someone come to my house to pick up a pair of shoes they won on the bay (she only lived like 15 min away)...i had no problems with her...i lived in a college area at the time so she was probably more at risk coming to my neighborhood than i was, lol

Yes, do be weirded out. Meet in a public place only, for an item you can carry.
UAB is right: there's currently news on the FBI tracking a "Craigslist killer," which is an extreme example but a reminder of the random nature of who's out there and what they are really after. You don't know.

So, meet in public in a place with people around.

I wouldn't worry about it. That guy is targeting women offering sex-related services on CL. IMO, you can't compare that with meeting someone at a Starbucks to show them a bag or a pair of shoes.

^^^ kz is right of course.
Meet at a public place, if you are going to sell this way.
My son has done it before, certainly.
Make sure nobody knows your address, as mentioned. :smile:

Last edited:
Seriously, meet in a public place and you'll be fine. I've DATED people I met on Craigslist. Always met in a public place first! :biggrin:

Yes, I'll just meet her at a local coffeeshop or something. The Craigslist Killer is scary but I doubt he's victimizing people selling designer flats! Plus, this woman has asked me so many detailed questions, I'm pretty darn sure she's actually interested in the shoes!!

Also, I just remembered that, a few years ago, when I was in college, I saw a treadmill I wanted to buy on Craigslist and actually went to the person's house to see it. I don't think I even told anyone where I was going! Everything was fine, obviously, and I DID buy the treadmill but, sheesh, thinking back, THAT was a risky decision!