Can epsom be spa'd or refurbished?

jedimaster

O.G.
Dec 21, 2006
My apologies if this has been discussed before; I did a search and couldn't find an answer. My epsom constance looks a bit shiny in the exposed areas. How does spa treatment affect the appearance of epsom? Will it restore the original matte appearance, or is this really gone forever. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Leo the Lion
Can you please post a picture of the bag dear? No idea what shiny in exposed areas means...

Epsom is a difficult leather to "fix". For example, smoothing of the embossed leather can not be spa'd and scratches are almost impossible to make invisible because embossed leather can't be buffed. But these don't seem to be your issue.... so let's see.

I'm having trouble getting a clear picture of it, but when I mean shiny, I mean it is not as matte on the front and back anymore, as is the leahter in front under the flap, or the sides. this may be what people refer to as "patina" - or it may just be oil/dirt that would be resolved by a spa cleaning. Has anyone actually had an epsom bag spa'd, and what did it come out looking like as compared with pre-spa?

Are the “shiny” areas you are referring to actually areas where the embossed leather is smooth instead of embossed/bumpy due to repetitive rubbing or repetitive bumping into things? Just trying to understand your question.

Pics would be very helpful.

i dont think the texture of the epsom has changed - the embossing doesn't appear eroded. It appears as if the leather has a slight sheen, as if someone shined it slightly, as opposed to being totally matte, as it was originally. i should say i have had the bag 6 years and have used it as an every day bag, so it may reflect more extreme use than other bags. I take it that no one else here has beaten the crap out of an epsom bag and taken it to the spa?

Reactions: ChocolatChaud
In general, yes it can be refurbished but bear in mind the grain of the epsom leather is embossed. Any scuff will be permanent as it will not blend in ( unlike barenia/togo/clemence).

The surface of almost any leather will smooth and develop a kind of sheen of a period of time with repeated contact with something else smooth passing over it.
I'm sure that what you can see on your bag would not be obvious to a casual observer from a normal distance. You are aware of it because you are looking closely. I am equally confidant that your bag still looks absolutely fine.

Similarly having it spa-ed would be just that. It will be generally cleaned, spruced up and any signs of wear and tear dealt with as well as possible. It is unlikely to restore your bag to original condition, but you have nothing to loose.
It is not a service that you can take advantage of without delivering your bag in person, so why not take it in to your Hermes and discuss it. They have enough requests for this service, so they will not want to take from you if it is not going to be worth it.

Sorry to see this scratch. From what I know, Epsom is harder to repair in terms of scratches because of the natural characteristics of the grained leather. I'd say take it to Hermes and see what they say. Can you buff the scratch out with your fingers?