Can anyone tell what stage of patina my Speedy 25 is at?

Hi everyone, I posted about purchasing a mini pochette accessoires earlier and it got me thinking about my Mono Speedy 25, which was my first LV bag that has vachetta. I got it in June 2019 and used it for the first time in August in Croatia, and used it almost everyday up until about January in Ireland where our weather is mostly cold and rainy. I have got caught in the rain with her a few times and actually stopped using the bag for this reason around January as I was worried about water spots as I can already see a few on the handle. The Patina looks quite dark considering I have not used it for long. I am considering purchasing a bandeau to prevent it from getting too dark too quickly. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for it to patina to this colour this quickly? Thank you!

Attachments

• ED0095A6-F3CC-4277-A23B-1CDAC95818A2.jpeg
    ED0095A6-F3CC-4277-A23B-1CDAC95818A2.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 330
  • CBE9D3BE-B42C-4947-91FC-A5C6BAD11521.jpeg
    CBE9D3BE-B42C-4947-91FC-A5C6BAD11521.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 339
  • A0AA3424-BECC-40D0-BF4D-9DFEBDE18D0C.jpeg
    A0AA3424-BECC-40D0-BF4D-9DFEBDE18D0C.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 890E252A-227B-40F5-AE36-3348411634D8.jpeg
    890E252A-227B-40F5-AE36-3348411634D8.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 339
Hi everyone, I posted about purchasing a mini pochette accessoires earlier and it got me thinking about my Mono Speedy 25, which was my first LV bag that has vachetta. I got it in June 2019 and used it for the first time in August in Croatia, and used it almost everyday up until about January in Ireland where our weather is mostly cold and rainy. I have got caught in the rain with her a few times and actually stopped using the bag for this reason around January as I was worried about water spots as I can already see a few on the handle. The Patina looks quite dark considering I have not used it for long. I am considering purchasing a bandeau to prevent it from getting too dark too quickly. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for it to patina to this colour this quickly? Thank you!
Not really sure there is a ‘normal’ rate at which the leather darkens I think It just really depends on how much you use the bag and how you care for the leather. A bandeau is a good option but there are some really good videos on YouTube with tips on how to get an even patina and things you can do like cleaning with an alcohol free baby wipe after each use to slow down the process.

Last edited:
I have to think that the local weather has alot to do with the patina process, combined with usage of course. Any natural material would be affected by humidity and heat as well as your natural oils or hand lotion. More extreme on any one of those would increase the darkening process.

I think your bag patina is beautiful, I prefer it over the light vachetta.

How a bag patinas is varied. I like to let mine sit in the sun for a bit and get a little tan before carrying. Then from there, I am careful about lotions on my hands, and weather. I'd keep my bag out of the rain for a least a year if possible. I'm talking, I'd shove it under my shirt. lol After it's got a good base tan, it can handle rain. But it can't ever take oils or lotions without turning dark on the handles.

I'm not one for wrapping my handles. If I were you, I'd try to clean it with baby wipes, keep it dry, and then go ahead and use it.

Reactions: Bri uk