Can anyone tell the difference between a Platinum and White Gold Rolex Pearlmaster?

birkin101

Sep 2, 2006
I am reffering to this picture? Is there a difference in color of the metal? Is it noticeable?

Attachments

asnlady

Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel, CA
Platinum, white gold, stainless steel are almost impossible to tell apart. They can all be polished to very different finishes. I know some dials and features are only offered on certain models; that's sometimes a way to tell the difference.

sbelle

O.G.
Mar 14, 2009
I have the white gold that I purchased 2 years ago. At the time, they had one size (29mm). I think they have 2 sizes now. I couldn't tell any difference between the white gold and platinum at at that time.

Here's a picture of mine (with another Rolex)

May 17, 2006
you can tell* . white gold is a bit warmer while the platinum rolex is cooler greyer kwim? but the angle onthe top pic is weird so i could not see it

*but i am an odd one i can nearly always tell if something is steel silver white gold or platinum

peace43

O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
USA
When you look at platinum and white gold, they do look similar. But when you feel platinum - it's much more heavier!

ETenebris

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
United States
My guess is that the watch in the photo is white gold based on the dial. Most of the platinum Rolexes that I have seen have the glacier blue dial, and that appears to be a Tahitian MOP dial, although it's hard to tell at that angle.

birkin101

Sep 2, 2006
^ I think you are right about the dial. I did some research and it does look like Tahitian. I just didn't realize it does not come with platinum...