Can anyone review the shopping in Detroit MI?

Fashiongig

May 7, 2013
Hello All,

I am very excited. My husband has agreed to take me to Michigan for some shopping on our Canadian holiday May 17-19th. We are looking to stay at MGM Grand (my lure was letting my husband gamble). I was thinking of Somerset Mall and Great Lakes Crossings. Does anyone have any reviews on them? Or can anyone recommend any hidden gems for shopping? How is Birch Run? I am tempted to go because they have Pottery Barn and William Sonoma but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra hour drive. Any reviews and suggestions would be appreciated. Also, any good places to eat? We have our staple favourite PF Changs but could use any other recommendations. THANKS!

I did Great Lakes and Somerset in 2012 and I had more luck at Great Lakes, but I guess it depends on what you are hoping to get. Somerset is lovely and I'd definitely go again. The SAs at Nordstroms were very friendly and accommodating. At Great Lakes, I scored great deals at VS and Nine West. Had a whole truck full of goodies by the time I left :smile:
As for food, I ate at Hockeytown because I planned my whole trip around the Red Wings games, but I'm sure someone else will be able to comment here as well.

Somerset Mall is a must whenever I'm in the area. The store selection is very good, so much so that I find to be one of the best malls in the region. Great Lakes is a great outlet. I tend not to find stuff at outlets but I always pick something up there, the selection is just that good.
Happy Shopping:smile:

I went on a business trip in Detroit in Dec 2013 and Jan 2014 and hit up both the Somerset mall and Great Lakes Crossing. Personally, I'm a bargain hunter so I love Great Lakes Crossing! The outlet shops were amazing and I found some great deals. I bought a black Kate Spade dress for $80 and I saw it at Somerset just two days ago for $320 as well as a Balenciaga city bag marked down to $1000 with no defects and had all the cards and dustbag. I'm definitely planning to go back this summer for some more shopping.

We loved the Capital Grille at Somerset and would definitely recommend it for a place to eat!

Thanks ladies. My plan is to hit the outlet first for that very reason. I don't like goin to the mall wondering if it would be cheaper at the outlet.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
I went on a business trip in Detroit in Dec 2013 and Jan 2014 and hit up both the Somerset mall and Great Lakes Crossing. Personally, I'm a bargain hunter so I love Great Lakes Crossing! The outlet shops were amazing and I found some great deals. I bought a black Kate Spade dress for $80 and I saw it at Somerset just two days ago for $320 as well as a Balenciaga city bag marked down to $1000 with no defects and had all the cards and dustbag. I'm definitely planning to go back this summer for some more shopping.

We loved the Capital Grille at Somerset and would definitely recommend it for a place to eat!

Do you remember what store you so the bal bag at? Thanks!

x

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm originally from the Detroit area and Somerset mall is probably the best mall in the whole state. There is also a good Nordstrom Rack only a few miles from it. Personally I don't care for Great Lakes Crossing, they have maybe one or two good stores and the rest are crap. It has become a full on outlet mall(it used to be a regular mall when it first opened). A lot of the stores are just "factory" stores rather than outlets. 12 Oaks Mall in Novi is also a good mall to see, it's similar to Somerset.

I never find anything at Great Lakes..but I'm not a good outlet shopper.

Somerset's really nice, I'm not a fan of 12 Oaks. Partridge Creek's great - fun to walk around on a pretty day since it's all outdoors.

As for eating, I like Brio, Green Dot Stable or Mercury Bar if you're in the city, Middle Eastern food in Dearborn, Luxe Bar in Grosse Pointe :smile:

I would recommend Somerset first. Also, maybe think about grabbing lunch in Birmingham or Royal Oak and checking out some of their shops. I'd go with Birmingham before Royal Oak, but both are close to Somerset and have a few cute shops. I wouldn't make a special trip for either as selection is limited, but I've found some fun and unique items at shops in both and you never know what you'll find….plus, there are really great places to eat!

I would recommend Somerset first. Also, maybe think about grabbing lunch in Birmingham or Royal Oak and checking out some of their shops. I'd go with Birmingham before Royal Oak, but both are close to Somerset and have a few cute shops. I wouldn't make a special trip for either as selection is limited, but I've found some fun and unique items at shops in both and you never know what you'll find….plus, there are really great places to eat!

Twelve Oaks in Novi, Mi