Can anyone recommend an oven stone?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I bake bread and tortillas and would like to get an oven stone in order to crisp them up a bit. Can anyone recommend a good one?

On a cooking forum several people recommended the stone from Pampered Chef, but then several others chimed in that their stone broke after a short period and neither Pampered Chef nor the sales rep they bought the stone from was willing to make good on the warranty.

Any good ones to recommend?

2. I got mine from Williams Sonoma; I don't remember the brand - it is really heavy and costs $35.95. They are selling it online now.

I've had it for 3 + years.

I bake a lot of pizzas, which is why I got mine - it makes the BEST piza crust and cooks handmade pizzas in 12 minutes or less.

I love mine.

Pic from WS website.

Attached Files:

3. Oh, thanks, Loganz! There's a WS store near my house and maybe I can order one through them.

Do you place the stone on the very bottom of your oven? Or on an oven rack?

Do you leave it in the oven all the time? Or just place it in the oven when you cook pizza?

Thank you for your help! ;)

4. I was able to pick my stone up in the WS store here - I believe it is a stocking item for them.

I put mine on the middle rack for pizza and take it out the day after I have used it (it gets too hot to handle that day/night).

They key to a stone is to heat it up before you put the food on it.

I put mine in the oven before I turn it on, for pizza put the oven to 500 degrees and then 10 minutes after it has preheated it is good for cooking pizzas. I would imagine for tortillas and other crisping you would do the same - stone in the over for preheating - 10 minutes or so after preheating it is good for cooking/crisping.

I know there are people who leave the stones in the oven all the time - but, from cooking pizzas it has a pizza odor to it - also, I have a convection oven (a subpar one) and I can't have the stone interfering with the "even" heat dispersion.

5. I have a Pampered Chef one and pretty much hate it. I have a muffin pan in the stoneware and it is the.worst.pan.ever. I end up w/ flat dense cupcakes that are fine in another pan. I need to clear it out of my kitchen. I have some Pampered Chef stuff b/c friends used to do it and I have to say, I hate their products.

My mom has one she got from a kitchen warehouse store, some random brand that works really great. I'll check when I see her next time if you've not bought another.

6. I bought a Kitchen Aid stone at TJMaxx for $19.95 about a year ago and it's still going strong. I use parchment paper under my pizza to keep from getting stuff on it, same with breads.

For me, I keep a cast iron pizza pan on the lowest rack and above it in the middle of the oven, the oven stone and I leave it there. I preheat at 450 for an hour. Most stones say to preheat an hour and for baking bread, I put it in at 450, add a cup of water to the pizza pan just after I place the bread in the oven and quickly close the door to trap the steam inside and then turn down the heat to 375 to bake the bread. For pizzas I preheat to 450 and bake at 450 for no more than 10-12 minutes.

The more heat retaining stuff you have in your oven you have, the more evenly distrubuted the heat will be, but it must be preheated enough to heat through the stones. Many people put quarry stone and bricks in their ovens too for the same effect.

Key for stones is to be at least 1/2" thick - it prevents cracking/breaking.

7. Wow! Thanks for all the great advice, guys! I printed out your messages Loganz and BerryBlondeBoys to keep with my cook books.

I called the Williams Sonoma store by my house and they said they do have the pizza stones in stock. But there's a TJMaxx nearby and I'll check there for the KitchenAid stones.

Now where do I get a cast-iron pizza pan? This sounds like another essential I need. :nuts:

8. I want to come to dinner at your house!

You actually mentioned the 2 best places for kitchen stuff -

I always check TJ Maxx first and if I fail there I head to Williams Sonoma, I may wind up paying more at WS but I never have an issue with the quality of their cook ware.

9. i have a pampered chef stone and have had a pretty experience with it. i know my sister's broke and PC replaced it for her. :shrugs:

10. I have a round pampered chef pizza stone. I love it. It broke once and I just had to send in one piece and the original receipt (I keep the receipt in my cookbooks). I use the round stone for making pizzas, baking biscuits, rolls, etc. I have the pampered chef casserole dish also but I don't like it as much, not because it is bad for baking but because it is harder to clean. Since I usually use liquidy type items and cheeses in the casserole dish, cleaning it by hand takes more time since you can not dishwash.

11. I want to go to dinner at BerryBlondeBoys' house! :nuts: I read about her Thanksgiving dinner.

This sounds goofy but it never occurred to me head to TJ Maxx for cooking stuff. Now I'm going to have to start prowling there. Thanks for recommending this.

In Julia Child's memoir "My Life in France" she says that in her second book on French cooking she recommended that bread bakers put an asbestos building block in the oven to crisp the bread. Two months after the book was published a study came out which linked asbestos to lung cancer. She was in a tizzy trying to get the book corrected and experiment to find a more suitable baking stone.

12. ^ Sue - I love that piece of history regarding Julia C! Thanks for posting that!! :smile:

13. If you've never read "My Life in France" by all means do! Among cooking memoirs this is The Great One. Julia tells how she moved to Paris after World War II with her diplomat husband (she had previously worked as a spy for the U.S. government!). Bored, she took a cooking course at Cordon Bleu and to her mortification failed it. In the aftermath she becomes obsessed with learning everything she can about French cooking, and she and her husband travel throughout France befriending cooks, bakers, pastry-makers and restauranteurs, anyone who can tell her anything.

It's just a great read. And it includes these great photos of Paris after World War II that her husband snapped.

14. ^ love that! Thanks for the recomendation. I will definitely add it to my Amazon wishlist. :tup:

15. Ah, thanks guys! You wouldn't want to be eating in my house recently though. It's called freezer food! :yes:

We are about to flip all the rooms in our house to get our son out of our bedroom into his own and it's disasterville. Add in that I decided to add extra storage in the kitchen and well... not even that room is usable the last couple days. I just keep telling myself that it's all worth it in the end.

Didn't it come out later that Julia Child was also a secret spy? And I guess that asbestos stone didn't harm her any! She lived to a ripe old age.