Can Anyone Please Help Me?...

Pradagal

Lifeslittleluxury
O.G.
Dec 31, 2007
I am wondering about the Gucci Boston bag either in leather or canvas. I have bought Louis Vuitton for over 20 years and am not happy with their quality anymore. Can anyone let me know the quality of this Gucci bag and if there are any cons to this bag? I sold my LV speedy 25 & 30 (should have kept them they were older and better quality back then) and bought a 35 speedy B; however, it is way too big for me now and am looking to downsize to a smaller size. Louis Vuitton has had such quality issues that I really don't want to buy another Speedy (canvas is extremely thin....you can see the outline of your items), so I was thinking of the Boston Bag from Gucci. Do you prefer the leather or canvas? How is the quality of Gucci? I have one Gucci bag the leather soho tote with chains and really enjoy this bag.
Thank you!

Reactions: Penelope janet
I'm sorry, but I do not find your post helpful or relevant at all. I was simply asking about Gucci quality and issues regarding this brand. I live in an area where there is no designer shopping so I have to order everything sight unseen. I am not expecting my items to last a "lifetime" as you have mentioned. I was simply asking for people's opinion and experience with the Gucci brand. How can I answer this question for myself if I am not real familiar with the brand?....

Sorry to offend you that was not my intention at all.

I love both brands, but I believe both have quality issues and sadly believe handbags are designed not to last that long.

Mechanics whom worked on cars in the 1960s often complain how automobiles were once made of steel are replaced with fiberglass.

You complained about LV, but I think if you purchase a Gucci handbag you will have complaints with that company, too.

If you look on this board there are quality issues about both bags, but still people like both companies.

Family Feud had a question and response where cars seem to break down as soon as they are out of warranty. Kind of funny how that happens?

Sorry you don't find my post helpful, but I love designer things too, but sometimes the quality seems to be similar to Wally's world.

Best on your purchase.

Last edited:
I am wondering about the Gucci Boston bag either in leather or canvas. I have bought Louis Vuitton for over 20 years and am not happy with their quality anymore. Can anyone let me know the quality of this Gucci bag and if there are any cons to this bag? I sold my LV speedy 25 & 30 (should have kept them they were older and better quality back then) and bought a 35 speedy B; however, it is way too big for me now and am looking to downsize to a smaller size. Louis Vuitton has had such quality issues that I really don't want to buy another Speedy (canvas is extremely thin....you can see the outline of your items), so I was thinking of the Boston Bag from Gucci. Do you prefer the leather or canvas? How is the quality of Gucci? I have one Gucci bag the leather soho tote with chains and really enjoy this bag.
Thank you!

I don't have Boston bag but own several Gucci bags and I also love lv and own many as well. Gucci quality is exceptional. Is it better than lv? I dont think it's better or worse. I love Gucci leather bags. I recently posted untreated fabric bag that I had to retire. I would not purchase a fabric bag again. But the coated canvas seems to be on par with lv. People have Gucci bags for decades and they last. I also still have my 10 year old azur speedy I still wear.

Reactions: papertiger
I don't have Boston bag but own several Gucci bags and I also love lv and own many as well. Gucci quality is exceptional. Is it better than lv? I dont think it's better or worse. I love Gucci leather bags. I recently posted untreated fabric bag that I had to retire. I would not purchase a fabric bag again. But the coated canvas seems to be on par with lv. People have Gucci bags for decades and they last. I also still have my 10 year old azur speedy I still wear.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Would you say the leather on Gucci is "well" wearing? Is Gucci known for glazing issues like LV?

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Would you say the leather on Gucci is "well" wearing? Is Gucci known for glazing issues like LV?

I have to say I have been shocked to read all of the glazing issues in the lv forum. I have been a PurseForum member for just over 10 years. I don't recall reading about these issues years ago. But there are so many more members here now and I think we may get too much information. Every brand has quality issues. PurseForum has members from all over the world. We "see" and hear about problems more than the average sales associate just due to the sheer number of people on here.

So is the leather on Gucci well wearing? I would say yes it is. And I have not heard of glazing issues on coated canvas. I just posted a tote I inherited that's probably from the 70s or 80s. It's in great condition and I can actually use it. My personal opinion due to experience is to stay away from the untreated fabric bags (Gucci logo that is untreated fabric). Mine lasted several years and I loved it. But it wore itself out. As did a fabric wallet I had.

I have never had a problem with lv either. Although after 10 years the piping on my speedy needed repair. But that's 10 years and now it's fixed and the bag is great.

I can't guarantee your bags for you but I think you will find people on this forum who have dozens of Gucci bags with no problem. And our own Papertiger (mod) has an incredible knowledge about the brand.

So I still buy both Gucci and lv. Hope this helps.

I have to say I have been shocked to read all of the glazing issues in the lv forum. I have been a PurseForum member for just over 10 years. I don't recall reading about these issues years ago. But there are so many more members here now and I think we may get too much information. Every brand has quality issues. PurseForum has members from all over the world. We "see" and hear about problems more than the average sales associate just due to the sheer number of people on here.

So is the leather on Gucci well wearing? I would say yes it is. And I have not heard of glazing issues on coated canvas. I just posted a tote I inherited that's probably from the 70s or 80s. It's in great condition and I can actually use it. My personal opinion due to experience is to stay away from the untreated fabric bags (Gucci logo that is untreated fabric). Mine lasted several years and I loved it. But it wore itself out. As did a fabric wallet I had.

I have never had a problem with lv either. Although after 10 years the piping on my speedy needed repair. But that's 10 years and now it's fixed and the bag is great.

I can't guarantee your bags for you but I think you will find people on this forum who have dozens of Gucci bags with no problem. And our own Papertiger (mod) has an incredible knowledge about the brand.

So I still buy both Gucci and lv. Hope this helps.
Yes it does help...Thank you!

For comparison between LV and Gucci I'm not the best person to ask, and again, even amongst 36-ish Gucci bags I only have a few coated canvas pieces as most are leather. The only LV have ATM is a huge vintage suitcase and the castors need replacing (not my fault) and the handle mending (prob my fault) but the canvas part is fine (about 30-ish years old). I also have a vintage Gucci Boston from slightly earlier and apart form some slight flaking of the interior lining it's in great condition. My coated canvas (called Gucci-Plus) Med Joy Boston (a comparative of the 30 Speedy but a couple of cm longer) from 2009 looks like new. Gucci have replaced Gucci Plus with a more ecologically sound version called Gucci Supreme which by all accounts is just as good (and certainly better for the environment).

The Joy with its leather all the way round the body of the bag is no longer sold but the 45 cm Supreme Signature Duffle is the most similar available in 8 variations including 'signature leather' and some very pretty or edgy variations of the supreme canvas (including plain beige/ebony) my favourite is the Tian Print https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/m...position=2&listName=SearchResultGridComponent but check out the other variations by scrolling through them.

I have SLGs in Guccissima (printed) leather that is very hardy (now called Signature leather) and I would recommend this to anyone. All other leathers would have to be commented on piece by piece.

There are also some more Speedy-like Bostons (no leather going around the girth) in a 35cm and 28cm (various prints and coloured leather trims available) and both sizes have additional (removable) leather shoulder straps and zipped inside pockets plus another for your phone. As far as I know these are not available in sig leather (yet). Example of a 28cm: https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/w...LQIG4096?position=4&listName=VariationOverlay

Check out the other shapes and sizes of the supreme canvas pieces and browse through the leather bags too including the reversible totes with printed leather one side and the other plain: https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/c...98109769?position=3&listName=VariationOverlay

I agree with snibor, I too have given away my only 'original fabric' bag (uncoated canvas hobo from 2005) as where it folds and then rubbed was not repairable, other than that have found Gucci to be hard to beat.

For comparison between LV and Gucci I'm not the best person to ask, and again, even amongst 36-ish Gucci bags I only have a few coated canvas pieces as most are leather. The only LV have ATM is a huge vintage suitcase and the castors need replacing (not my fault) and the handle mending (prob my fault) but the canvas part is fine (about 30-ish years old). I also have a vintage Gucci Boston from slightly earlier and apart form some slight flaking of the interior lining it's in great condition. My coated canvas (called Gucci-Plus) Med Joy Boston (a comparative of the 30 Speedy but a couple of cm longer) from 2009 looks like new. Gucci have replaced Gucci Plus with a more ecologically sound version called Gucci Supreme which by all accounts is just as good (and certainly better for the environment).

The Joy with its leather all the way round the body of the bag is no longer sold but the 45 cm Supreme Signature Duffle is the most similar available in 8 variations including 'signature leather' and some very pretty or edgy variations of the supreme canvas (including plain beige/ebony) my favourite is the Tian Print https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/m...position=2&listName=SearchResultGridComponent but check out the other variations by scrolling through them.

I have SLGs in Guccissima (printed) leather that is very hardy (now called Signature leather) and I would recommend this to anyone. All other leathers would have to be commented on piece by piece.

There are also some more Speedy-like Bostons (no leather going around the girth) in a 35cm and 28cm (various prints and coloured leather trims available) and both sizes have additional (removable) leather shoulder straps and zipped inside pockets plus another for your phone. As far as I know these are not available in sig leather (yet). Example of a 28cm: https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/w...LQIG4096?position=4&listName=VariationOverlay

Check out the other shapes and sizes of the supreme canvas pieces and browse through the leather bags too including the reversible totes with printed leather one side and the other plain: https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/c...98109769?position=3&listName=VariationOverlay

I agree with snibor, I too have given away my only 'original fabric' bag (uncoated canvas hobo from 2005) as where it folds and then rubbed was not repairable, other than that have found Gucci to be hard to beat.
Wow!! SUPER informative!!! Thank you so much for all the information......this helps tremendously:smile:

I have a few coated canvas bostons - my first from 2008. I carry them quite regularly and no issues with the canvas. Back then the coated canvas joy bostons have no lining but the canvas is thick (I'm pretty sure thicker than the speedy). One of my bostons is the gg plus again no lining and I don't feel that it's any different from the other two.

Reactions: Pradagal
I too have been super disappointed with LV quality and am afraid to buy anything from them anymore. I have currently 4 Gucci bags and 3 slgs. I have not had any issues what so ever! ! I notice a huge difference in quality between the two. I am actually very impressed with how amazing Gucci quality is. I've just recently got a bag at Christmas, it's a top handle lock bag and I really really love it. My others I have had for a couple of years and not one issue. I'm chalking that up to the fact that I believe their bags are all made in Italy, and there is difference. As for LV even though their bags that State they are made in France, I'm not so sure :sad:. For now I'm going to stick with Gucci. I love the older LV'S that I have since they were made back when the quality was better, so I'm going to hold on to those for dear life!

Also the recent purchase I made of a signature leather mini wallet/card case is very luxurious leather. It's thick and beautiful. I believe that Gucci has a Boston bag made with this leather. I definitely recommend you check that out. Here's a picture of my wallet. I am definitely going to be buying more of their signature leather in the future. :smile: Screenshot_2017-02-05-21-32-51.png

Also the recent purchase I made of a signature leather mini wallet/card case is very luxurious leather. It's thick and beautiful. I believe that Gucci has a Boston bag made with this leather. I definitely recommend you check that out. Here's a picture of my wallet. I am definitely going to be buying more of their signature leather in the future. :smile: View attachment 3605137
This wallet is gorgeous! Congratulations! I am definitely going to check out the Boston bag in this leather. Thank you so much for sharing:smile:

I too have been super disappointed with LV quality and am afraid to buy anything from them anymore. I have currently 4 Gucci bags and 3 slgs. I have not had any issues what so ever! ! I notice a huge difference in quality between the two. I am actually very impressed with how amazing Gucci quality is. I've just recently got a bag at Christmas, it's a top handle lock bag and I really really love it. My others I have had for a couple of years and not one issue. I'm chalking that up to the fact that I believe their bags are all made in Italy, and there is difference. As for LV even though their bags that State they are made in France, I'm not so sure :sad:. For now I'm going to stick with Gucci. I love the older LV'S that I have since they were made back when the quality was better, so I'm going to hold on to those for dear life!
Yes, I totally agree about what you are saying regarding LV. There is DEFINITELY a quality difference. I have Hermes Kelly's, Birkin's, plus other bags, Dior bags, Chanel Flap bags, Prada, LV, Gucci, Balenciaga, Chloe, etc...pretty much every luxury fashion house designer there is. I know there are quality issues on every aspect, but the difference is to me, the other fashion houses seem to have great customer service. I haven't started having quality issues with any of my LV's until the last few years. My last straw with LV is when they told me it was "normal wear & tear" on a 2 month old bag, which wasn't even used for a total of 3-4 weeks, if that. I can accept less than perfect items, the problem to me is when customer service will replace the same bag for one person and do nothing for the next. LV needs to be more consistent standing behind their products. I think it is about time I dip my toe in the Gucci pond :biggrin::P

Yes, I totally agree about what you are saying regarding LV. There is DEFINITELY a quality difference. I have Hermes Kelly's, Birkin's, plus other bags, Dior bags, Chanel Flap bags, Prada, LV, Gucci, Balenciaga, Chloe, etc...pretty much every luxury fashion house designer there is. I know there are quality issues on every aspect, but the difference is to me, the other fashion houses seem to have great customer service. I haven't started having quality issues with any of my LV's until the last few years. My last straw with LV is when they told me it was "normal wear & tear" on a 2 month old bag, which wasn't even used for a total of 3-4 weeks, if that. I can accept less than perfect items, the problem to me is when customer service will replace the same bag for one person and do nothing for the next. LV needs to be more consistent standing behind their products. I think it is about time I dip my toe in the Gucci pond [emoji3]:P
Sorry for you that this happened. This is what I keep hearing and it's awful. I really want to keep buying LV products but the last new items I looked at just did not seem luxurious and the quality wasn't there. I think you will be impressed with Gucci[emoji3] . Let us know what you get!!

Reactions: Pradagal