Can anyone explain 'distressed' (shredded) jeans?

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Just glancing at some things on the big South American river site and I come across a listing for jeans that look like something I just threw away. We're not talking about faded here, we're talking clearly wasted. Torn and worn through from above mid-thigh to well below the knees.

I just went through several pairs of mine a few days ago sorting out all the ones that were beyond wearing. The ones that had been worn for years through all sorts of yard work and other tasks to the point of the knees and thighs being worn through. They went in the trash or got cut up for rags. A couple turned into cut-offs and might get a few more wearings that way.

But most of them were in better condition that this listing I just saw for a new, brand name pair.

:confused1::shrugs::wondering:pullhair:

:upsidedown:

Attachments

• 41JXoFQ8g2L._SX342_.jpg
    41JXoFQ8g2L._SX342_.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 602
The distressed look requires a factory worker to wear down each patch (so there is threading and not just a hole) by hand. Wrinkles are pinned and sanded by hand too. It's a very labor intensive process. You can expect distressed denim to cost $300+.

Many people like distressed denim because it has more character than just plain dark denim. Some people are really into the "artisan" movement, or want to look like they found the perfect vintage/thrift find and are willing to pay a premium for that look. Or they are mimicking the casual L.A. Style of celebrities.

I worked for a designer denim company. Most of my millionaire/billionaire clients wanted some fading and at least a little distressing in their denim. Jeans are a casual look. They also didn't care if they looked rich. I feel the same way.

You can expect distressed denim to cost $300+.

The ones I posted were somewhere around $30

Some people are really into the "artisan" movement, or want to look like they found the perfect vintage/thrift find and are willing to pay a premium for that look.

Most of my millionaire/billionaire clients wanted some fading and at least a little distressing in their denim. Jeans are a casual look. They also didn't care if they looked rich. I feel the same way.

If rich folk want worn out stuff, I'll be glad to send them mine instead of filling a landfill. I can get into that kind of recycling.

Artisan look? No problem. Got several with paint stains.

OP - I don't like the ones you posted. I prefer for my jeans to have a little character and look broken in. My favorite pair is about the color of the posted picture and has a couple of quarter sized areas that are nearly worn through and a bit of heavier distressing around the pockets and hems but they don't look shabby.

I wouldn't wear jeans that literally look worn out.

If rich folk want worn out stuff, I'll be glad to send them mine instead of filling a landfill. I can get into that kind of recycling.

Whenever someone would say, "I should sell my old jeans for $400," we'd joke, why don't you?

If you happen to have vintage red stripe Levi's, you'll make even more $$$!

I have a few other styles, but I love wearing my Tomboys in this wash: http://www.agjeans.com/the-tomboy-17-yearssalvation/d/8158

No selfies, but here's similar looks to how I rock them in the gallery or on weekends:

One

Two

Three

A little distressing can look fashionable, but the full on worn- thru look made of threads, literally doesn't hold up. It's only a matter of time before you get a hole or a side rip. And in the winter time, I think these would be kinda chilly to wear.

My husband doesn't like that look either, it baffles him!
I don't wear it myself as it's not my style. However, I have seen some PYT's in extremely distressed jeans with patterned/colored tights underneath and it looks cute.
To each his own.

I haven't seen many people wearing distressed jeans in at least a year or two. I don't do holes in my jeans or shreds - I WILL make the tear worse and ruin the jeans (when I was younger I did ruin several pairs very quickly)

I don't worry about what others wear but it's not a nice look imo. And especially if you have even a small amount of weight on the thighs, depending on how the 'distressing' is, can add visual pounds to your look!
:nogood:

I don't get this either - we are allowed to wear jeans to work on Fridays but they must be in 'good condition' - last time I tried to buy new ones I couldn't find any that would be acceptable for work, they all looked like they had been through a wood chipper!