Can any PFers recommend a good air purifier?

louis loves fendi 818

~Avantay Garday~!
Aug 5, 2006
I was hell bent on getting an Ionic breeze ( i loved the fact it was silent and the infomerical was so convincing.) until I googled it to find this article and the fact the sharper image has gone bankrupt.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7391185/

So know I'm confused. I did some googling but all the reviews were marketed by the mfgers of the purifiers. I live in downtown and the air is very polluted and dusty. And I live in a old loft building with no duct work (just radiators). I am buying a window air conditioner and I would love to just be able to close my windows and still have fresh air. And I'd love to find one that gets rid of a LOT of dust. I hate dusting LOL.

Any recommendations? Or does your ionic breeze work well at all?

Just a heads up--

My Grandpa had gotten an air purifier, and apparently it worked so well, that he couldn't handle the outside air, it was too dirty--he'd immediately get asthma and need his inhaler.

I'm sure this is very very rare, and could be a combination of things (age, immune system, strength, etc...) but just thought i'd mention it.

:smile:

Just a heads up--

My Grandpa had gotten an air purifier, and apparently it worked so well, that he couldn't handle the outside air, it was too dirty--he'd immediately get asthma and need his inhaler.

I'm sure this is very very rare, and could be a combination of things (age, immune system, strength, etc...) but just thought i'd mention it.

:smile:

:wtf: I hope that doesn't happen. I mostly want it for dust reduction (i cannot stand dusting)

I know what you mean by reviews are marketed by the mfgers of the purifiers. I spent lots of hours reviewing air purifiers and was never able to come up with a definite answer. I decided to just get a small one for our bedroom and picked one up at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=243956-79-30748&lpage=none

We needed this for our DS because he has allergies and asthma. I can honestly say we have been pleasantly surprised with the results. My furniture does not get nearly as dustly like it used to and DS has been doing well since we got it. I'm still looking for one for the rest of our house, but have yet to decide on which one.

I use an Oreck air filter machine in my bedroom where I have carpet. It definitely helps me breath better!! I turned off my Oreck machine when I went on vacation and forgot to turn it back on when I got home. It was off for a whole week before I remembered to turn the Oreck back on and I noticed how stuffy I felt each morning when I woke up. Once I turned the machine back on, I could breathe better when I woke up!! I would love to buy another Oreck for my family room, but since they are expensive, I haven't yet bought a second one...... maybe for X-Mas!!!

the ones from sharper image are the best on the market.

in fact... my co... buys the from sharper image and re-sells them to a few clients that request them.

I cannot remember the name.. but go on the site... its a huuuuge seller for them.

I have two Sharper Image Ionic Breeze purifiers and when they work they are fantastic. However, they need cleaning frequently and if they get too dirty they do make a buzzing noise, so I use them rather more sporadically than I should. (I also have pets which aggravates the system) One was so bad (cleaning-wise -- it was given to us by my mom when she got tired of using it and it sat for quite some time) that I finally just took the metal part out into the yard and sprayed it with the hose. I figured it would either clean it or fry it, and either way I wasn't going to be worse off than I was with a machine that would only run for a few minutes. Well, I let it dry for several hours and it worked beautifully afterward. My friend also has one and said it pretty much cured her allergy problems.