Can a non religious person wear Cherub/Angel Jewelry?

1. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 is now open to the public! Please support TPF by using this link before shopping the sale.
    We're also giving away six more $200 gift cards during the duration of the NAS! Find out more...
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I've recently discovered Temple St. Clair jewelry and am really drawn to her amulet and cherub pendants. I've always thought of cherubs/angels as religious symbols, so I don't really know if I can wear them or if it's appropriate for me to wear them as I'm non religious. What do you ladies think?

2. I don't think one needs to be religious in order to wear jewelry with an angel/cherub motif. I took a look at the Temple St. Clair web site and her cherub necklaces depict in their charms one of the cherubs from Raphael's famous "Sistine Madonna" painting in which two innocent-faced cherubs appear to be contemplating the scene or more generally the state of mankind. One can certainly justify wearing one of these cherubs as an art-lover. Or a history lover. Or a lover of the mysteries of life.

Violet Bleu likes this.
  3. I don't see why not. If the piece speaks to you & you're drawn to it, wear it in good health & enjoy. I generally consider cherub jewelry more artistic style jewelry.

skyqueen likes this.
  4. I don't see why not. I would hesitate to wear a cross or star of David or other religious symbol if I were not a member of the associated religion, but I think angels and cherubs are secular enough for anyone to wear.

5. I love Temple St. Clair jewelry...unique and whimsical! You could look at the cherub/angel as your good luck charm.
    Everyone can use a little good luck! :angel:

Divea and cdtracing like this.
  6. As long as you don't mind some people interpreting the pendant as an article of faith I think you're in the clear. It's also a mainstream enough motif in Western art that I don't most people will remark on it other than to compliment it.

For what it's worth, as a Christian, I don't mind if non-Christians wear Christian symbols. I think it's nice.

cdtracing and skyqueen like this.
  7. Cherubs are featured in a number of religions, actually. I think it would be fine to wear them just because someone likes them, without any religious intent.

8. I always think of cherubs as Renaissance and Classical symbols... Not necessarily religious.

oreo713 likes this.
  9. Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try some of them on in person and see how I feel about them.

10. That's a good question.
    As a Christian, I'm very careful not to idolize symbols/ characters as an item of worship. That's a real slippery slope, Biblically. The cross pendant I wear is a reminder, to me, of my walk.
    I think you're fine. Certainly appreciate your concern.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice