Calorie Counting Book Recommendation

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My dad needs to lose weight ASAP, his blood sugar is high. He might be pre-diabetic. He wants to lose at least 20 lbs. He and my mom don't know anything about eating healthy. My mom thinks I'm nuts when I tell her to limit red meat, avoid processed foods, stop eating lots of junk food and ice cream, and use portion control instead of making enough food for an army when it's just the 2 of them.

I don't live at home, but I want to help my dad eat healthy, since my mom is not being supportive. So, I want to get him a calorie counting book so they both can see for themselves instead of taking my word for it. Can anyone recommend a calorie counting book that is easy to use? Ideally, he'd easily be able to look up both the ingredients in the dishes my mom cooks and the processed stuff he eats.

2. It is hard to do, when your mother is conditioned to making lots of comfort foods. She really does mean well, and just isn't aware of how to cut back on things that she is used ot doing (like cooking for her army).

A doctor that will step in and tell them, this is a first step that may help. From there, a nutrionist. And so on and so on.

Perhaps the movie called "Super Size Me" may help? (I enjoyed this documentary)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

I think it is great that you are doing this for your father. But know that you can only do so much. You can't force someone to do this stuff. They have to be the ones to take the first step.

3. He's willing to go online, but I don't think he'd be interested in logging on every day to track calories. I think a book would work better because he can have it in the kitchen and be able to look up something asap. And hopefully it would motivate my mom to cook healthier food more often.

4. I would second the Calorie King book- its small, very portable and contains a lot of information on brand name cheese, sauces, etc. as well as information about generic things like an apple or an egg. It also has some calorie/fat/etc infornation about fast food and sit down chain restaurants. It's colorful, easy to use (its set up kind of like one big index, although there are maybe 30 pages of written information in the front of the book) and kind of fun.

Maybe you could also think about getting him to see a nutritionist who can give him a specific meal plan? They could probably also help to give him a wake up call if that's what he needs. I think some insurance plans will cover something like this if your doctor recommends it. Good luck!

5. I absolutely love Calorieking! I usually go to their website to check up on nutrition facts, dailyplate.com as well!

6. thats a great book.... thanks for letting us know about this valuable information...

7. How about "Eat this, Not That"? I think it would be a great tool for someone accustomed to eating fast food. Cutting it all out overnight may leave him feeling deprived and in turn craving junk food more. Reading these books (there is a whole series of them) may help ease him into a healthier life style when he sees how unhealthy his favorite meals are. The book also offers healthy (well, healthier) alternatives so he can learn to make better decisions at fast food restaurants and hopefully translate those decisions into a healthier life style.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Thousands-Simple-Swaps-Pounds/dp/1594868549

Hope it helps!