Calling recent internship for employment opportunity...

Adore

"BLONDIE"
Sep 17, 2006
I don't know why but I am SO hesitant to call. I had a summer internship that was unpaid but was then paid when a minimum amount of required hours (set by my college to receive credit) was up.

Well they asked me if I was available for even just a day during the week, and I was but I had another job. I need the other job I'm working at for the money and I work there for 2.5 days during school. The internship could only provide me with 1, but even 2 days at 8 hours less would provide me with just as much money as my other job.

I asked if they'd know within the next month and my employer at the internship said yes. He's nice but he's intimidating. I think that's why I'm so afraid to call. I know they were looking for people with experience and I honestly don't have a lot but I work hard as I was praised for there and do know what I'm doing. Just not any other experience in the actual field other than a previous internship.

I don't know, I'm afraid to call. I wonder if they forgot all about asking me if I was around for a day in the week and the conversation we had about them having an answer within a month. There wasn't anything said that meant THEY would call ME though so I am not at all expecting a call.

Another part of me feels like I'll seem desperate... I just feel like this is NOOOT a good idea to even bother and I don't know why... It's been a month by the end of this week. I thought to make sure I don't call too soon or too late so exactly on the month mark.

What should I do and how should I go about doing it do you think? I feel so unsure because they said goodbye, goodluck, I feel like I'd be stupid in calling because I feel like my time there was done.

This is your chance to turn uncertainty into a positive. I'd call them, tell them your schedule will allow you to work a certain amount of hours, and let them know that the reason you're calling them is because you enjoyed working there as an intern and you'd like to continue the relationship.

With regard to the man who intimidates you, there is no time like the present to learn about working with people like that, and learn to overcome your insecurity ... because he won't be the last person to make you feel that way. This is a great opportunity for you to see what it's like to work with different personalities, and learn how to work effectively with them. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the responses, they were HIGHLY motivating as I felt like such a rock that wouldn't budge. But I finally called... didn't turn out the way I hoped, but at least I know where to go from here on. I will be making an appointment with someone at my college in career services to find other places in connection with my college which helps a ton by narrowing down the places that are actually looking and knowing specifics. So I at least can do that without wondering what could have been... but the recent internship I had still has my number and we're still in touch and I know that is important and I'm happy for it.

Thanks again!