Calling all tea drinkers

I drink about 2 cups a day. my favorites are mate (argentinian tea) and roiboos (red tea), but will drink pretty much whatever is available. I always take it black.

and what's wrong with microwaved tea? hot water is hot water...it's fun to me to make it in a kettle (yeah I have one), but I am constantly on the run, drinking tea in my car, and it just makes more sense to pop it in the microwave for a few minutes than to have to find the kettle, wait for the water to heat, blah blah blah...when it reaches the same temperature in the end.

ps- i don't use tea bags anymore. loose tea is very superior.

Using the microwave to boil water heats it unevenly. The outer part of it could be boiling, but the interior may not be at boiling temperature. It also tends to make the tiny air bubbles in the water dissipate more than boiling (as in the rapid bubbling when you drop in a tea bag or move the water container). I don't know the exact scientific reason, but these tiny bubbles make your tea taste better. Microwaved water tends to make tea taste flat. So does tea made with water that was boiling in the kettle for too long.

Also, I'm a total tea nerd so I have the compulsion to mention that many companies tend to market "orange pekoe" as a flavor, but it's actually a classification of tea leaf size so it's regular ol' tea. (Sorry! I don't wanna come across like Stephen on Top Chef, but I can't help it...don't hate meee.)

happy1 said:
There is Chinese Store called TenRen, I've seem them in most major cities...and they carry lose tea that you can buy buy weight. I love TikGuanYin and they have a few variety ranging from quality and price. Their expensive ones at $100 per pound are whole leaves, incredible flavor and fragrance.

Eeekkk.. I LOVE TenRen drinks!! Love their boba milk green tea. :love:

yes, true, you can just have a cup of tea in the microwave, if you want to...I guess it is a lifestyle thing....I am always on the run too, but, I found that I had been losing some of the daily little joys in life...so, I changed a few things…

I take time to have breakfast and enjoy what I am eating...I have it on a pretty plate, with a nice china cup (coffee in the morning). At lunch time, I stop, and I savor. It's a complete thing, the sight sound taste...you get the picture. I even do the whole music thing...no television or reports to read (unless I ABSOLUTLY have no choice) I allow myself to stop at 5:30(ish) for my wedding imperial...even if I am alone, it is a beautiful tea pot, beautiful china cup, and I stop...even if only for 15 minutes. (we have those water heaters over here which I find boil the water faster than the microwave anyway)...if I am hungry, I also eat a little something which compliments the tea. I find my life much more satisfying just by doing these little "princess" things for myself during the day...I also keep a crystal goblet on my desk to drink water from all day...I don't lose any time, and I think I am much less stressed out...so, I run, run, run, and then I stop...tea time is like a mini vacation for me. If I am really feeling the need for a good ole pattern interrupt, I have a late cup of tea at the Bristol Hotel or the Ritz. Having tea helps center me and get my thoughts together...it helps me realize that if you think ALOT more, you run ALOT less, and you can accomplish ALOT more...and, you get to have tea, too.

Whenever I fall away and get lazy about taking time to prepare, I always seem to feel uninspired and tend to put on weight...it is a weird thing....

I read the book “Ten Thoughts About Time” by Bodil Jossin, and find myself re reading the little thing when I find myself running like a crazy woman (pulls me back in)… and I am a Richard Koch 80/20 Principal devotee. Neither of the these books are about tea, and perhaps this response doesn’t seem to be much about tea either…but, I have adopted the philosophy that life is a banquette, and it is too short. People used to stop their lives and enjoy the act of nurturing their bodies, they treated tea time as if it were just as important as the Monday morning meeting (some still do)…and they were much thinner, by the way often with much less exercise)…and since giving my self these little luxuries, I find my life is more meaningful, I am more pensive, and I seem to be accomplishing things I couldn’t have imagined.

So, yes, for me, if you only want to have the taste of tea on your tongue and perhaps not even notice it, then a microwave is fine. Even one of those paper cups dropping down from the machine is fine…(that can actually be charming on the motorway when you are on your way to a fabulous weekend…has memory creating powers…so, that is ok, too). I just feel that any pleasurable thing we do for our bodies should be a mini celebration…even if it is everyday…because, every day might be the last one…

OOOPPPSSS there I go again….long, long post!

Hiya,

my fave kind is Clipper (fair trade) black tea, with a dash of semi-skimmed out of an Edwardian china cup I got from an antiques site on the net!;)

B.t.w., not posted for a while, but gals I been thinking of y'all!:heart: :biggrin:

Cx

I love tea - my favorites are typically green tea - gunpowder mint tea. I also like herbal tea - mint with lemongrass. Earl Grey, Chai, Yerba Mate.... I haven't met too many teas that I don't like.

Except I did try this detox tea once and I had a horrible reaction to it, difficulties breathing, heart palpitations, etc... I am definitely more careful about trying medicinal-type teas, even if they are available at the grocery/health food stores.

I drink about 6-8 cups of tea every day. I have a great hot water storer that dechlorinates water and keeps it at 208/195 degrees. Perfect for tea brewing.

I think the freres mariage tea I was thinking of is called 'Clair de lune' (the one with the little violets). It actually tastes delicious -- and sort of sweet, on its own -- like a dessert. It goes with every kind of dessert perfectly.

How could I have missed this thread? My favorite tea in the world is Laduree's The Melange, their signature blend. Even if you leave the teabag in your cup the tea never turns bitter! I stock up on this stuff each time I go to Paris. Unfortunately, Laduree's only in Paris but recently opened a shop in Harrods. Wish they'd do mail order.

melisande said:
I think the freres mariage tea I was thinking of is called 'Clair de lune' (the one with the little violets). It actually tastes delicious -- and sort of sweet, on its own -- like a dessert. It goes with every kind of dessert perfectly.

yummy, thank you! I am going to go and buy some this week!:yes: