Calling all MAC addicts!!! Pull up a chair & spill your guts...

Loquita

May 16, 2008
Okay, peeps. Let's get serious (kinda, sorta) here in the Beauty Bar...I am curious to hear about just why my fellow MAC addicts are so in love with this brand. I mean, I used to be a MAC fan back in the day, and then left the brand for years...but lately I am back...

...With a vengeance.
sd28.gif

And I am so not kidding.

So, what specifically is it about this brand that has you hooked and keeps you there? I mean, what kind of drugs do they lace the lipglass with?

Please share!!! You'll get no judging from me. ;)

there's just SO many colors
and so many different forms of diffrerent beauty products

its amazingg :love:

i love their brushes and their eyeshadows because theyre so pigmented and not chalky
(well for me)

I just love their eyeshadows. I love mixing and matching and MAC does that for me. I think I've bought the most MAC in these past two months than I've ever bought in my lifetime:shocked:

Semi-recovering MAC semi-addict who's clearly overthought this, reporting!

Reasons I started buying (or "using," if we're going with the drug theme): the ridiculous color and product selection, the quality, and, let's face it, the mystique. There's something about MAC that's a little intimidating, especially when you approach the counter for the first time, and I was totally buying into a certain sleek all-black aesthetic (if not the blaring music and occasionally snotty service, ahem).

Reasons I kept buying: like LV-nowwhat pointed out, the constant roll-out of new lines is a huge draw because there's always something new, and there's always the anxiety that you're going to miss out on the next rare LE HG. Bag designers do the same thing, but makeup is much more accessible. I definitely found myself buying lots of "cheap" MAC shadows when I got the shopping itch...which eventually added up to a small fortune.

Reason I stopped, mostly: the aforementioned small fortune, the sheer volume of what I amassed. Also, as a generally indecisive person, having to choose between about fifteen shades of "medium brown" on a rushed Monday morning started stressing me out.

(Given the funds and enough photos of the new collections though, I'd still be all over it. Clearly, recovery is a slow process :nuts:)

There is always something new to buy! Plus the price is more reasonable than some other brands. This helps if you are buying a lot!

The MAs are very helpful too.

Interesting responses!

I have been thinking about this a lot lately...especially since I am obsessing over MAC (I mean crack) again. I think the draw for me is a combination of factors:

- Amazing color selection...I always go with a certain color in mind, and they inevitably have it. I am a color junkie so this is a big draw for me.
- Sleek packaging that's not too fussy. I loathe fussy.
- Something new is always coming. If you have an attention span as short as mine is, this is a definite plus. :nuts:
- The makeup color range is for everyone. As a Latina, finding colors that actually work on me is wonderful, and a lot of fun.
- Like pigbyso wisely pointed out, MAC is pretty reasonably priced for what you get...at least it seems so, until you realize that you have dropped several hundreds of dollars on eye shadow in the last month. :Push:

But maybe the biggest attraction for me personally is the element of fantasy that I associate with MAC. The advertising and whole aesthetic of MAC gives the impression that anyone can transform themselves with the right makeup. I love this.

Like tmc posted...MAC is CRACK.

Great price points
Great quality
LOVE the SA's at my Nordstrom counter (Bellevue SQuare) who give me time of day unlike the losers at the MAC store near me - whatev.
New collections all the time - fun to try new things along with good old staples
Online shipping rocks. Most everything is true to its word on how it appears online vs IRL.

XXXOO PG

PG, Good point about online vs. IRL appearances...I usually go online to pick what I want. and then head to the store to buy it. The colors inevitably look very similar to what I see online. (I can't pick what I want at the store 'cause I get overexcited by all of the makeup and lose focus, hee hee).

And I am a grown woman. Go figure.

Loquita, great thread!

I am a MAC newbie. Actually, I only started playing with color a couple of years ago and I'm older than 35! I've been experimenting with other lines but since MAC is not sold at Sephora, I didn't venture in until 2 weeks ago!

So in the last 2 weeks, I've purchased an eyeliner, a lip liner and 5 lippies! I did have an MA help me then with e/s but I didn't buy any. Why? Don't know, but I'm going back to get some this weekend!

I'm hooked!

I've been using MAC since 92 and for me its just the quality. Yes they are a little pricey. i love all the fresh colors they bring out. i think the only thing i dont use of theirs is the mascara. but i love MAC. i will never use anything else. Funny cos the other day i was at the store on base and i walked past the hip eyeliner pots, thought one of the colors was cute..then i was like for that price i can go to MAC and spend the same amount on the same thing. I would rather go MAC!!!!

I blame Dazzleglasses, because they are gloss and oh so sparkly - a lethal combination for me. :winkiss: I have some lipsticks, lipglasses, eye shadows (MAC always seems to have such interesting and vibrant shades), and mineral stuff too (love the mineralized goodies), but my eyes kind of glaze over when a collection has new dazzleglasses! :heart:

Like tmc posted...MAC is CRACK.

Great price points
Great quality
LOVE the SA's at my Nordstrom counter (Bellevue SQuare) who give me time of day unlike the losers at the MAC store near me - whatev.
New collections all the time - fun to try new things along with good old staples
Online shipping rocks. Most everything is true to its word on how it appears online vs IRL.

XXXOO PG

I agree 100% with everything posted here, and I love that MAC has something for everyone for example I'm an nw45/nc50 at mac and I have friends that are nc15/25 and 30 and most of us have the same e/s colours! they look fabulous on all of us. Their brushes are suberb quality!!!:biggrin:

I agree 100% with everything posted here, and I love that MAC has something for everyone for example I'm an nw45/nc50 at mac and I have friends that are nc15/25 and 30 and most of us have the same e/s colours! they look fabulous on all of us. Their brushes are suberb quality!!!:biggrin:

ahhhh, how could I forget that, keodi! So true! I'm an NW15 and love seeing how the same e/s looks on so many skin tones - and looks fab!!

BIG shout out to MAC brushes too!!