Tech Calling all Kindle owners! Kindle (new gen.) vs. Kindle DX

I have never heard of this. Thanks for mentioning it. Is this something that happens gradually or can I take mine out into the sun and test it out?

You should take your kindle out into direct sunlight and turn the page if there is any fade in the writting contact Amazon and they will send you a new one or refubished kindle depending on how long you have had yours for. I just received my replacement Kindle 2 and it works perfectly in the sunlight no fade at all :biggrin:

^^ I am very sad to report that my Kindle is experiencing the sun fade. :crybaby: I really hope that I don't get a refurbed Kindle as a replacement. Wouldn't they just send out a new one? Ugh. Although inconvenient, I am glad to know now instead of later when my warranty is expired. I've had it since Feb 2009.

edited to add:

Amazon is sending me a new or refurbed Kindle 2. (based on what is currently available....there's no refurbed K2s on their warehouse deals site so hopefully I'll get a new one) They're overnighting it to me so I'll get it by Friday.

Last edited:
^^ I am very sad to report that my Kindle is experiencing the sun fade. :crybaby: I really hope that I don't get a refurbed Kindle as a replacement. Wouldn't they just send out a new one? Ugh. Although inconvenient, I am glad to know now instead of later when my warranty is expired. I've had it since Feb 2009.

edited to add:

Amazon is sending me a new or refurbed Kindle 2. (based on what is currently available....there's no refurbed K2s on their warehouse deals site so hopefully I'll get a new one) They're overnighting it to me so I'll get it by Friday.

Oh no sorry to hear that. Hopefully your new one will be perfect. If they send you a refurb just send it back saying it has the same problem. I cant figure out why a company would send you a refurb if you originally bought it new and the problem is a defect in the product doesnt seem fair.

is the kindle with voice commands released, or is there an expected date for it to be out?
thank you

I know for sure that the kindle 2 does come with this demand, so i would assume this should apply to the kindle dx as well. I'm picking up my kindle tomorrow, i can't wait to use it.

is the kindle with voice commands released, or is there an expected date for it to be out?
thank you

I haven't heard of a release date but I know that there are color Kindles with voice command technology that are being tested now because some people in my group reported receiving them.

The Kindle 2 has "Text to Speech" where the Kindle will read aloud to you in either a male or female voice.

Isn't there also a way to convert e-books onto the Kindle? I have no idea how it works but people discuss it all the time on the Kindle boards.

camommyof3, you might want to visit MobileRead (http://www.mobileread.com) for more info -- the site has a lot of resources including conversion how-to's, technical assistance and even related shopping deals/freebies.

I bought the Kindle 1 when it first came out, but have since replaced it with the Sony Reader PRS-700 -- the Sony's touchscreen and built-in light are features that work much better for me. The Kindle's physical keyboard took up too much space on the device, and I was not a fan of the sub-par wireless browsing experience offered.

The Kindle was definitely more user-friendly though, with the Sony all files have to be transferred from one's PC onto the device or an SD storage card first. I personally don't mind this step though, and at least Sony can't delete the books on my reader remotely! :P

I just got my DX and I absolutely love it. Everyone at work is ogling it. I'm looking for a case -- does anyone recommend one? I've seen neoprene and leather ones for under $20. I'm also going to look at the decalgirls decals and see if there is anything that I like. I will have to check the sun fade. That is worrisome to me! At $489, this needs to be perfect, and stay that way for a l-o-n-g time. I just downloaded Wuthering Heights, a bunch of books by the Russian greats, and Jack London -- all for free! I also checked my email, Wikipedia'ed some stuff... I am in heaven.

^^ I'm so glad you like it! I didn't know you could check email...so exciting!

I think my husband ordered one for me, but now I have to wait until my birthday. :Push:

UPDATE:

I got my kindle this week and I :heart:love:heart: it already! It was really simple to set up and download books. Amazingly the pages really look like actual book pages and are much easier on the eyes than my computer screen.

Now I'm worried that I might go a little crazy downloading books.

Off to research accessories for my new toy...

I really want a Kindle. I'm leaning towards the Kindle DX because I really like the bigger screen and it might be a good idea for school books. Also from the dimensions it looks like it can still fit in my Rebecca Minkoff MAC.