Home & Garden Calling All Houseplant Lovers!

ouiouilexiaussi

TresLexi
O.G.
Jul 28, 2013
I lack a green thumb so I was elated to find a plant that I barely have to take care of that is happily thriving: Devil‘s Ivy, also known as pothos. I inherited mine from a former coworker who had one in a water bottle at her desk (after her hasty departure). The plant was large enough for me to carefully separate into 2 vases. I just propagated them both this morning and thus, the anxious wait for their growth begins.

Behold: an awkward shot of the largest original plant that we keep in the second bedroom/workout room.
BBC0B656-7AB4-4478-BF37-333772D9CE68.jpeg

Pothos is the first and only plant I've successfully kept alive and revived from near death! That's how bad I am -- I almost killed pothos. I have managed to kill basil, mint, and bamboo, so I won't touch my husband's plants. He has the greenest thumb. The plants in this house are incredible, but I have had nothing to do with that.

Reactions: ouiouilexiaussi
Pothos is the first and only plant I've successfully kept alive and revived from near death! That's how bad I am -- I almost killed pothos. I have managed to kill basil, mint, and bamboo, so I won't touch my husband's plants. He has the greenest thumb. The plants in this house are incredible, but I have had nothing to do with that.

Lol, congrats! I’ve killed a fern and a couple succulents by overwatering them... This is why I love hydroponic plants! :biggrin:

Yassss! Thank you for starting this thread! I have a pothos in my office that no one wanted but I brought it back to life, so I bought one for my home. When I bought it I told my husband "these are impossible to kill!" It's currently struggling upstairs due to the heat... I'm going to move it.

I currently have two variegated rubber plants, one regular and one pink. Previously, I had a trio of fiddle leaf figs that all eventually died after 1.5 years. I don't have the best track record when it comes to houseplants :biggrin:

Yassss! Thank you for starting this thread! I have a pothos in my office that no one wanted but I brought it back to life, so I bought one for my home. When I bought it I told my husband "these are impossible to kill!" It's currently struggling upstairs due to the heat... I'm going to move it.

I currently have two variegated rubber plants, one regular and one pink. Previously, I had a trio of fiddle leaf figs that all eventually died after 1.5 years. I don't have the best track record when it comes to houseplants :biggrin:

Oh wow, I didn’t know they had temperature preferences! We only have one AC unit and one tower fan, but we are on the lower floor of our condo building and both my husband and I like warm weather so it’s probably in the low-mid 70’s in our unit. Is it hotter than that where you are?

I feel like the rubber plants and fiddle leafs would be more intermediate level, so I admire you foray into that realm, lol! I get intimidated by plants that have to repotted... we don’t have a car yet so I’m trying to keep things on the lighter side.

Oh wow, I didn’t know they had temperature preferences! We only have one AC unit and one tower fan, but we are on the lower floor of our condo building and both my husband and I like warm weather so it’s probably in the low-mid 70’s in our unit. Is it hotter than that where you are?

I feel like the rubber plants and fiddle leafs would be more intermediate level, so I admire you foray into that realm, lol! I get intimidated by plants that have to repotted... we don’t have a car yet so I’m trying to keep things on the lighter side.

It tends to be hot and dry here in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. We have A/C and heat but we don't turn it on 24/7 upstairs and downstairs, only when we're in that part of the house, which is why we have the temperature swings. FLFs are native to West Africa so they're probably not suited for where I'm located. My sister has one in San Diego and it's doing well because it's mild and humid there.

Rubber plants are supposedly low maintenance - one of mine developed spider mites though so I had to spray it with castile soap and neem oil diluted with water. Snake plants are supposedly easy to take care of (and they clean the air) but I don't find them attractive :yucky:

Reactions: ouiouilexiaussi
What kinds do you have?

monsterabop.jpg
I have struggling Monstera and a BOP and a cute little cactus

rubberplant.jpg
A rubber Tieneke (sp?) plant

pothos.jpg
Excuse messy bookshelf. I had a lot of my plants here during winter (with the now broken grow light) but still looking for a place for my Marble pothos (I think?) to sit

jungle1.jpg
My jungle while I wait for some shelving to be finished, sorry for weird mess/randomness. Not sure what everything is called sorry. L-R: Dumbcane, hoya, ginger leaf, Tri Stromanthe, Calathea?

jungle2.jpg
I have a little baby pothos back here that was dying before I moved it closer to a window.

jungle3.jpg
Bottom left is a Calathea I killed :sad:, a Tri Stromanthe (sp?) I managed to save three leaves for, a money tree and the red/green plant I got on clearance at Lowes back in December.

idkthename.jpg
Several month old pic of plant Idktheplantname, still sitting (and kept alive) at work by kind building manager.

elephantear.jpg
Elephant ear plant, aka Idknameofplant's friend at my makeshift office while the the building is being renovated.

Not pictured: string of pearls I over watered and inevitably killed (rip), unkillable snake plant (upstairs) and a spider plant that's draining in shower at the moment.

Phew, sorry for photo spam.... I want more plants.

It tends to be hot and dry here in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. We have A/C and heat but we don't turn it on 24/7 upstairs and downstairs, only when we're in that part of the house, which is why we have the temperature swings. FLFs are native to West Africa so they're probably not suited for where I'm located. My sister has one in San Diego and it's doing well because it's mild and humid there.

Rubber plants are supposedly low maintenance - one of mine developed spider mites though so I had to spray it with castile soap and neem oil diluted with water. Snake plants are supposedly easy to take care of (and they clean the air) but I don't find them attractive :yucky:

Ah, I see. I’m not a huge fan of snake plants either, lol.

View attachment 4787814

View attachment 4787815

View attachment 4787819
Excuse messy bookshelf. I had a lot of my plants here during winter (with the now broken grow light) but still looking for a place for my Marble pothos (I think?) to sit

View attachment 4787818
My jungle while I wait for some shelving to be finished, sorry for weird mess/randomness. Not sure what everything is called sorry. L-R: Dumbcane, hoya, ginger leaf, Tri Stromanthe, Calathea?

View attachment 4787820
I have a little baby pothos back here that was dying before I moved it closer to a window.

View attachment 4787821
Bottom left is a Calathea I killed :sad:, a Tri Stromanthe (sp?) I managed to save three leaves for, a money tree and the red/green plant I got on clearance at Lowes back in December.

View attachment 4787824
Several month old pic of plant Idktheplantname, still sitting (and kept alive) at work by kind building manager.

View attachment 4787825
Elephant ear plant, aka Idknameofplant's friend at my makeshift office while the the building is being renovated.

Not pictured: string of pearls I over watered and inevitably killed (rip), unkillable snake plant (upstairs) and a spider plant that's draining in shower at the moment.

Wow, you have an incredible collection!! Don’t apologize! :heart:

Reactions: Sunshine mama
View attachment 4787814

View attachment 4787815

View attachment 4787819

View attachment 4787818

View attachment 4787820

View attachment 4787821

View attachment 4787824

View attachment 4787825

So beautiful! They must keep you busy with watering. My variegated rubber plant aspires to be like yours when it grows up :smile:

Reactions: mrs.JC
I have 3 houseplants left, although they've been going strong for a few years now. I water them once a week and keep in indirect sunlight, where they thrive! I have a christmas cactus, african violet (the blooms are so pretty!) and a standard aloe plant.

I had an orchid, but I killed it because I didn't give it the proper sunlight it desired and too much water. Such a shame because they're such lovely plants.

Can someone tell me why my indoor herbs keep dying! How do I managed to kill the "living basil" from the grocery store when they can keep it nice and green for a while?! :biggrin:

I do have a miniture orange tree alive for years now. So I got that going for me. :smile:

Reactions: limom