Calling all "girly-girls"

dagnypup

O.G.
Feb 3, 2010
I made the frightening discovery today that my wardrobe is pretty much complete feminine (including ruffles, lace, and.....dare I say it.... puffed sleeves!!).

I had always bought tailored, classic, minimalistic clothing and still mentally considered this to be my style. But a recent purchase of an H. Trim II and Farandole necklace unveiled this recent style discovery -- mainly because I couldn't get either of them to work with my current wardrobe.

So now I don't know what to do!! I really like Hermes things, but just realized I have been wasting my money on purchases that do not go with my current wardrobe style. I have a beautiful ombre Kelly Dog -- never wear it because it doesn't go with my clothing. I had to return the Trim II, and am boxing up the Farandole to send it back as well.

Are there any other super-feminine type dressers out there? IF so, what kind of things do you find that are working with your wardrobe?

I'm really at a loss here and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Dagny

hi dagny,

i think any hermes bags can coordinate quite well with your "girly" wardrobe. you just need to choose a girly color like rose tyrien, bois de rose etc. what do you think?

My closet is split...one half is minimally-lined the other is full of ruffles, pinks and other feminine shades, florals, etc. ....the way to combine the world of H and ultra-feminine would be to take the items such as CDCs and get them in femine colors (fuschia, tosca, white). Clic enamels in soft creamy blushes or sorbet shades that work with lace (I am thinking the new enamels in linen or soft pink or cream). Collier de Chien belts look lovely over a ruffled dress to cinch in the waist and add a bit of spunk to all that girly-ness. To my bags I add twillys to add a bit of "ruffle" to the bag, or add a girly charm...in other words, instead of a leather pig charm or leather dog charm add the leather heart charm or your own non-H charms. A twilly would look great on your Trim. Also, if your a scarf lover, H scarves make lovely tops or dresses and you can cover them with a ruffled cardigan if you have one. Twillys weaved into your hair can also add a bit of femininity if yours is long enough to braid. These are just a couple ideas off the top of my head on how I encorporate H into a feminine closet. HTHs

hi dagny,

i think any hermes bags can coordinate quite well with your "girly" wardrobe. you just need to choose a girly color like rose tyrien, bois de rose etc. what do you think?

Do you think it can be something as simple as a certain color? I really hope so!!
But the colors I currently wear are mostly navy, grey, black, white -- I only have a few pink things. When I tried the navy Trim II it just seemed all wrong with what I was wearing and it made me look so frumpy. But when I tried the same color with a different style (Dalvy) it looked right -- albeit, a bit too dressy with the casual outfit I had on.

My closet is split...one half is minimally-lined the other is full of ruffles, pinks and other feminine shades, florals, etc. ....the way to combine the world of H and ultra-feminine would be to take the items such as CDCs and get them in femine colors (fuschia, tosca, white). Clic enamels in soft creamy blushes or sorbet shades that work with lace (I am thinking the new enamels in linen or soft pink or cream). Collier de Chien belts look lovely over a ruffled dress to cinch in the waist and add a bit of spunk to all that girly-ness. To my bags I add twillys to add a bit of "ruffle" to the bag, or add a girly charm...in other words, instead of a leather pig charm or leather dog charm add the leather heart charm or your own non-H charms. A twilly would look great on your Trim. Also, if your a scarf lover, H scarves make lovely tops or dresses and you can cover them with a ruffled cardigan if you have one. Twillys weaved into your hair can also add a bit of femininity if yours is long enough to braid. These are just a couple ideas off the top of my head on how I encorporate H into a feminine closet. HTHs

Yes, this really does help -- but I am wondering how this will work for me based on what i currently own. I really like my ombre Kelly Dog -- but it looks wrong, wrong, wrong! (but chic!!)
Out of curiosity, how old are you? I am asking because I am almost 43 and if you are younger you would be able to pull off a look that might not work on an old lady such as myself! ;)

dagnypup, you are far from an old lady!! I am having a little trouble reconciling the idea of "ultra feminine" with the navy/grey/black/white wardrobe (Your wardrobe colours sound the same as mine, BTW). I do think that you can wear edgy accessories like the kelly D with feminine clothes regardless of age. In fact, I noticed when looking at the CDC thread that I particularly like the look on older ladies rather than younger. I can't explain why this is...
Why don't you post some pics of your outfits and see what the ladies here suggest about accessories. It could just be that you're not accustomed to the different look.

Oh no!!! Don't send back the farandole necklace! If you wear feminine clothes, let's say a pair of white jeans or full skirt, a cute lacey top and a navy blue cardy, then wear the fanandole wrapped twice or three times. Wear a twilly (bowed) around your pony tail or a scarf (H off course) as a head band.
With your ombre Kelly dog, wear your greys, pearls and a GM shawl with a blazer...
When I think of feminine everyday clothes, I totally think of Kate Spade clothes. And, some of her stuff paired with an H bag, scarf, etc, looks fabulous. Good luck!

ITA. I wouldn't consider farandole ultra-contemporary or edgy by any stretch. I always think the modelling shots on here are very feminine.

I don't consider it to be edgy or ultra-contemporary either -- it just doesn't look right with the specific clothing that i happen to have (other than the basic "classic" pieces, in which it looks great).

dagnypup, you are far from an old lady!! I am having a little trouble reconciling the idea of "ultra feminine" with the navy/grey/black/white wardrobe (Your wardrobe colours sound the same as mine, BTW). I do think that you can wear edgy accessories like the kelly D with feminine clothes regardless of age. In fact, I noticed when looking at the CDC thread that I particularly like the look on older ladies rather than younger. I can't explain why this is...
Why don't you post some pics of your outfits and see what the ladies here suggest about accessories. It could just be that you're not accustomed to the different look.

I will see if I can somehow post photos. But when I say "feminine" I am talking about things you would see in Victoria magazine (as opposed to Town and Country) -- Edwardian blouses, filigree jewelery, Anthropology's ruffled jackets (etc). If you Google "ruffled jacket' and look at the images you will see what I am talking about. In fact, my robe is the black (with cream trim) Undrest Ruffled black Amelie robe (bluefly has it or you can google it) and if you Google Verity Hope dress, you will see the basic style of dresses I wear (and I own a few of these dresses). I also like Nanette Lepore and have some of her ruffled things.

I mean, we are talking Gunne Sax without the scary 80's vibe! hahahaha.

Oh no!!! Don't send back the farandole necklace! If you wear feminine clothes, let's say a pair of white jeans or full skirt, a cute lacey top and a navy blue cardy, then wear the fanandole wrapped twice or three times. Wear a twilly (bowed) around your pony tail or a scarf (H off course) as a head band.
With your ombre Kelly dog, wear your greys, pearls and a GM shawl with a blazer...
When I think of feminine everyday clothes, I totally think of Kate Spade clothes. And, some of her stuff paired with an H bag, scarf, etc, looks fabulous. Good luck!

I think of Kate Spade as being feminine-preppy. I am not sure why my clothing is not more like this, given my history of "classic" styles in the past. Unfortunately, it is more of a Victoria magazine type of feminine -- on the verge of Gunne Sax (yikes!). :smile:

I don't wear pants/jeans. I tried the Farandole with the lacy tops that I own and it doesn't look right -- delicate necklaces look much better. It isn't that it looks BAD -- I don't think that necklace could ever look bad! -- it just doesn't look RIGHT. And I want to make it work because I really, really, really like it.

As for my lovely Kelly Dog, I have tried it with my clothes and it only looks right when I wear it with my boat-neck 3/4 sleeved sweaters or my sleek black turtleneck (which I don't like to wear because the black is too harsh for my coloring). It does not look good with any of my other blouses/tops that i currently own.

I keep thinking my clothing style is like Mai Tai's -- because this is how I used to dress! But only about 10-15% of my clothing is this style any more! I have one blazer that I own that looks like this, the rest are puffed sleeves, ruffles, etc.

I really want to keep the Farandole....:shucks: but a diamonds-by-the yard/pearls-by-the-yard or an Alhambra clover necklace seem to pair much better than it does.

I will see if I can somehow post photos...

Aha! Thank goodness for Google images. I see what you mean by "Edwardian"; some very pretty things though.
The bag part has me stumped. I like the idea of the Plume, but as far as shoulder bags...hmmm... I'd probably have tried for the Trim as well but in clemence. What about a kelly? Definitely retourne if you want to wear it with the strap - it will seem less bulky.

Aha! Thank goodness for Google images. I see what you mean by "Edwardian"; some very pretty things though.
The bag part has me stumped. I like the idea of the Plume, but as far as shoulder bags...hmmm... I'd probably have tried for the Trim as well but in clemence. What about a kelly? Definitely retourne if you want to wear it with the strap - it will seem less bulky.
Yes, Google is so helpful!

I am worried that a Kelly is a bit too classic looking -- tailored, not romantic (not that my Dalvy is "romantic"... :smile: ). I will have to look into the Plume a bit more.

I don't typically like shoulder bags, as I like handbags. The Trim was something that I thought would be Parisian Chic -- a style that I want to have but it just doesn't seem likely given my current wardrobe discovery! But I do like the Kelly Clutch type of bags. I was never a clutch girl until recently, but what I really like is my wristlet.