Calling all *FIRST* owners - experience with First bag worn on shoulder?

jilly.bean

O.G.
Jan 23, 2013
Hi Bal pals!

I'm considering the First bag as my first Bal but most of the pictures in the style reference thread consist of the bag alone or held on the arm. If I get this bag, I will be wearing it on the shoulder most (if not all) of the time and would love to see how slouchy the bag looks when worn on the shoulder. I'm also interested in the strap drop as well :smile:

For all you First owners, do you think the bag drapes enough to have Bal's classic slouchy look?? Or does it mostly depend on the leather? I guess what I'm asking - to have it be slouchy, is it more dependent on the style of the First or solely based on the leather? Or... is it too small of a bag to even slouch (if that makes sense)? Also, is it a hassle to open up the bag when holding it on the shoulder? (theFirst strap drop doesn't look long enough to be easily accessible like the City strap drop)

Thank you so much!! :biggrin:

Hi Bal pals!

I'm considering the First bag as my first Bal but most of the pictures in the style reference thread consist of the bag alone or held on the arm. If I get this bag, I will be wearing it on the shoulder most (if not all) of the time and would love to see how slouchy the bag looks when worn on the shoulder. I'm also interested in the strap drop as well :smile:

For all you First owners, do you think the bag drapes enough to have Bal's classic slouchy look?? Or does it mostly depend on the leather? I guess what I'm asking - to have it be slouchy, is it more dependent on the style of the First or solely based on the leather? Or... is it too small of a bag to even slouch (if that makes sense)? Also, is it a hassle to open up the bag when holding it on the shoulder? (theFirst strap drop doesn't look long enough to be easily accessible like the City strap drop)

Thank you so much!! :biggrin:
I have three First bags. I wear them on the shoulder mostly. They don't slouch as they are very small. You cannot zip up easily if worn on the shoulder. It also depends on the Hardware, tassels or not. Two of mine have tassels which can be easily grabbed so you can open it easier. The Giant one is not so easy and definitely not while worn. For a first Balenciaga I would advise to get the City. It has everything you need, room inside, slouching a long enough strap etc. Leave the First for later on.:smile:

My first Bal was a First and now I'd never be without one. I find that it slouches just slightly on the shoulder. I wear mine about 50% of the time on my shoulder and the other 50% in the crook of my arm or as a handbag. I do agree that it's not so easy to zip up when it's on my shoulder, but that's not a drawback IMO. Fab bag for a first Bal!

Thank you everyone! Gosh, never thought it'd be this difficult to decide on a purchase. I've never contemplated more on a bag until now! Will keep you posted on my decision. :smile:

It might be too late for my response but if you are going for the slouchy look first is not the balenciaga... get the ARENA/City but otherwise its a great bag! I agree with CAT1967 leave it for later maybe buy one with a FUN color too!:biggrin:

Good luck with your decision! i want to hear what you bought and why!? :happydance:

It might be too late for my response but if you are going for the slouchy look first is not the balenciaga... get the ARENA/City but otherwise its a great bag! I agree with CAT1967 leave it for later maybe buy one with a FUN color too!:biggrin:

Good luck with your decision! i want to hear what you bought and why!? :happydance:
Thank you for all this useful info! I find myself gearing away from the First after reading all the advice given by you pros! I figure it woud be nearly full since the First doesn't hold much. I was considering the Twiggy... but I'm not sure how I feel after so many people describing the bag as a "sausage" (every time I looked at the Twiggy after, all I thought about was a sausage). A little too E-W for me.

With that being said, I've narrowed my options down to either City or Town - OR BOTH? ;)

Thank you for all this useful info! I find myself gearing away from the First after reading all the advice given by you pros! I figure it woud be nearly full since the First doesn't hold much. I was considering the Twiggy... but I'm not sure how I feel after so many people describing the bag as a "sausage" (every time I looked at the Twiggy after, all I thought about was a sausage). A little too E-W for me.

With that being said, I've narrowed my options down to either City or Town - OR BOTH? ;)
My first Bal was a First and I kind of regret it. I'm actually looking to sell it soon to fund another purchase. The cons (for me) are as follows:

- It doesn't hold much. I like big, long wallets and I can't use those when I use my First.
- When worn over the shoulder, the back handle rubs my rib cage area the wrong way and it just feels uncomfortable. Also, the shoulder strap is way too short for my liking.
- It doesn't slouch and looks more structured even when empty.

I suggest you get a City bag as your initial Bal purchase. I have 2 City bags and I definitely use them more than my First. It just holds more, it's softer and the strap is so comfy over the shoulder.

My first Bal was a First and I kind of regret it. I'm actually looking to sell it soon to fund another purchase. The cons (for me) are as follows:

- It doesn't hold much. I like big, long wallets and I can't use those when I use my First.
- When worn over the shoulder, the back handle rubs my rib cage area the wrong way and it just feels uncomfortable. Also, the shoulder strap is way too short for my liking.
- It doesn't slouch and looks more structured even when empty.

I suggest you get a City bag as your initial Bal purchase. I have 2 City bags and I definitely use them more than my First. It just holds more, it's softer and the strap is so comfy over the shoulder.
Thank you thank you!! Your post was very informative. I think I'm straying away from the First now. I think I'm going with the City because I want a comfy shoulder bag that has more room than all the current crossbody bags I own :smile:

I have three First bags. I wear them on the shoulder mostly. They don't slouch as they are very small. You cannot zip up easily if worn on the shoulder. It also depends on the Hardware, tassels or not. Two of mine have tassels which can be easily grabbed so you can open it easier. The Giant one is not so easy and definitely not while worn. For a first Balenciaga I would advise to get the City. It has everything you need, room inside, slouching a long enough strap etc. Leave the First for later on.:smile:
super agree with everything you said! my first 2 bals were cities and my 3rd was a first. cities are more slouchy!!

This is so helpful! I really thought I wanted a "first" bag, but now I'm leaning towards the "city". I just bought a Sac Clous shoulder bag and it's great. Very large so it holds all my stuff! But I want something more classic.

This is so helpful! I really thought I wanted a "first" bag, but now I'm leaning towards the "city". I just bought a Sac Clous shoulder bag and it's great. Very large so it holds all my stuff! But I want something more classic.
I know what you mean! I had misconceptions of the size of the first. I actually ended up purchasing a City thanks to this thread I started. Pictures are deceiving! I thought the City would be ginormous in real life but Bal bags actually look bigger in pictures! The City is the perfect medium sized bag!