Calling all Epsom Birkin Owners

vuittonBOS

O.G.
Jul 6, 2008
As some of you know, I just received my first birkin, 40cm Black Epsom with PDH. Now, I've read the other threads concerning Epsom, but I wanted some updated news and a focus just on the birkin.

How are your bags wearing? Do you use your epsom every day? Is it a workhorse? Or should it be babied?

I'm freaking out a little...whether or not I made a good choice. I want something that I don't have to worry too much about. Thanks everyone!

Oh, pics are a plus! Would love to see other Epsom Birkins!:smile:

lilpicotin

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
Hmm... I don't have an epsom birkin, but I have courchevel, which is very similar. It's 8 years old and in ridiculously good condition. She's very sturdy, doesn't scratch, and I put her on the floor at restaurants (that's what the hardware's for, right?) Do you have specific concerns about epsom?

I *do* have an epsom Kelly wallet which is just gorgeous and really a workhorse wallet - which is great especially for wallets because you don't want a leather that gets beat up easily...

lilpicotin

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
Oh epsom can DEFINITELY take banging around :yes:. the only thing, I think, is to watch the corners - but I use my epsom Kelly wallet all the time and it DEFINITELY gets banged around - and yet still looks like new! I've been using her since April. :love:

chiffre

Perfectionist...
Apr 14, 2008
Hello, VuittonBOS!

Though I personally don't have an Epsom Birkin, the leather itself is very sturdy.
As you may already know, it is an embossed leather (which pretty-much means, in layman's terms, that something ran over it and left prints. This actually 'squishes' the leather, and makes it more rigid, which leads to Epsom's firm feel. Courchevel is similar in this respect, but the imprinted grain is different).
Anyhow. As you use your Birkin more regularly, it will eventually soften. How long will this take? It depends on how often you us your purse. I've found that my Epsom Whitebus softened out in about 2 years, but this may be because I use it to carry my laptops, books and documents.
As for scratches, scuffs and wrinkles, there are none to report, and I've closed my car door on the bag, too! It's also very liquid-repelling (noted as I have spilled one too many glasses of wine).
I hope this helps!

aspenmartial

Over the rainbow~~~
O.G.
Apr 13, 2006
One thing about epsom bag is... corners get worned VERY easily. I have several friends say the same thing! I am not anal, but I am careful with my bags. I was SOOO sad to see corners show signs of wear that fast....really fast compare to other leather birkins I have...

Epsom leather in small goods like wallet is GREAT tho...

Pepper

Raisinette
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 12, 2006
Hmm... I don't have an epsom birkin, but I have courchevel, which is very similar. It's 8 years old and in ridiculously good condition. She's very sturdy, doesn't scratch, and I put her on the floor at restaurants (that's what the hardware's for, right?) Do you have specific concerns about epsom?

I *do* have an epsom Kelly wallet which is just gorgeous and really a workhorse wallet - which is great especially for wallets because you don't want a leather that gets beat up easily...

I can vouch for the sheer beauty of this bag, I mistakenly thought at the moment I saw it that it was epsom (somehow associating BJ, a relatively new color, with epsom, a relatively new H leather) and remembered later that BG had said it was courchevel....

elizabethk

Workin' on my tan!
Jul 25, 2006
OK rain does slide off...but i get scratches like crazy...and wrinkling does occur....and i have baby wiped it and i didnt see any difference....i do have to baby mine....more than togo I'm afraid....

Accessorize*me

My special one...
O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
I have an Epsom 35 Birkin. It is fairly scratch proof, lightweight (comparatively) and water slides right off.

It was in Orange, and I once wore some dark Denims that bled and stained it! But the stains came right off with some water and leather cleaner....all DIY!

It does show wear around the corners faster than my other bags (togo, clemence) and wrinkling though. I personally don't mind the wrinkling as I feel it adds to character of this leather, but the wear on the corners do bug me so I tend to baby it more than my other bags.

Last edited:

may3545

Happy living
O.G.
Mar 15, 2006
I had an epsom kelly, and I used it a few times, and it still looked perfect. In the end I sold it. I also have a few epsom bearn (too many to admit) wallets and I bang and toss them all over, and they look awesome!

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
Geez, your bag is going to do beautifully for you :o) it will take on the worst weather with grace and style, her corners and edges can be touched up easily should you have some color-loss, gosh she'll look amazing for a long long time... go enjoy your beautiful bag in happiness and health!

vuittonBOS

O.G.
Jul 6, 2008
You are all THE BEST! Thank you so very much for telling me about your experiences with epsom. The good definitely seems to outweigh the bad. Now I know to just enjoy my bag...

And good idea docride...I can always use a little Meltonian to touch up any scuffs or signs of wear.