Calling all Collonillers - I have a QUESTION!

Twinkabelle

May 6, 2012
First off - a confession. I didn't Collonil my first Mulbs until eight months after I got her. I KNOW!

Secondly...I have a question! I bought the Collonil spray together with the Collonil leather gel and I'm a bit confused. Is the leather gel just a waterproofing gel, or does it waterproof AND moisturise?

I'm wondering if I've doubled up on waterproofing products and need to buy a separate leather cream to moisturise my bags. Is there a Mulberry recommended moisturiser? I know some of you girls have mentioned the Clarks leather cream in the past, and I'm thinking of just buying one of those.

Muchos thank yous! xx

Reactions: celine666666
The instructions on the gel actually say that it is waterproofing.

In general, while not specifically stated as a moisturiser, the properties of a gel based formula mean it also has moisturising qualities.

I only use the gel and it has kept my bags in great condition.

I bought the spray for waterproofing and the gel to moisturise and then read the label on the gel and it only says it waterproofs. So I wondered if I needed another cream to moisturise. X

The cream is mainly for waterproofing but also moisturises. I use it on my Oak natural leather Bays and to be honest I don't noticed too much darkening at all. I found the spray dried out the leather, but that was before I started religiously treating my bags with the cream so it could have dried out naturally. The cream is really good on the bottom corners if the bag, the SA told me to start using it from 6 months when the leather has lost a little natural moisture. All personal choice really :smile:

I generally spray every 2-3 months and then maybe twice a year I will use cream, and I do find cream nourishes well. I've heard others recommend cream from furniture clinic (I think), unsure if that is more nourishing than collonil cream though??

The cream is mainly for waterproofing but also moisturises. I use it on my Oak natural leather Bays and to be honest I don't noticed too much darkening at all. I found the spray dried out the leather, but that was before I started religiously treating my bags with the cream so it could have dried out naturally. The cream is really good on the bottom corners if the bag, the SA told me to start using it from 6 months when the leather has lost a little natural moisture. All personal choice really :smile:

Me too, I actually love the look the cream gives to Oak NVT

Yep I think it is a bit of a "balancing act" between waterproofing/moisturising......and of course it stands to reason that the lighter oak leather will, over time (just as with natural patination) darken a little the more the bag is treated.....but this is actually quite desirable imo, and actually makes oak more resilient over time.....

In all I would say a good spray (but not over-wetting the leather) now and again is essential, and, if there is a little drying out, then use the moisturiser sparingly!....:smile:

I generally spray every 2-3 months and then maybe twice a year I will use cream, and I do find cream nourishes well. I've heard others recommend cream from furniture clinic (I think), unsure if that is more nourishing than collonil cream though??
You're right Lolz, Furniture Clinic do a leather protector/conditioner, I use it regularly, it helps prevent dryness and protects leather....

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Protection_Cream.php

I have found that the spray is ex and i spray all my bags really well maybe every 2 weeks and also use the gel on the corners of my bags also i have the furniture clinic set as well thanks to Mo. I would only use the gel on the body of my bags if they were dry it really helps imo.

You're right Lolz, Furniture Clinic do a leather protector/conditioner, I use it regularly, it helps prevent dryness and protects leather....

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Protection_Cream.php

Thanks Mo. One of the sellers I just bought a bag from sent me the link too so will be ordering soon. Our lovely bags cost so much that its worth using the best products to keep them in great condition.
Silly question though, would you spray with collonil before or after using cream, or would you not even do it on same day?