Calling all City owners, Join the "city" club

it was made for 1 season only and stock was very short, e.g. our local boutique didn't have a) black and b) reg size at all, only S and mini in Bordeaux and Bleu (see my post in 2018 intel thread) and i got mine online, from Italist
Bal offers calfskin in various seasons and various options, years ago they did metal plate, then there was with contract stitching, a year ago there was Vibrato, grained calfskin with silver/gold hw, and finally, in 2017 AW was plain black with reg brass hw, i hope you'll find one as well :smile:

https://www.italist.com this website?

Hi everyone, I hope this comment is appropriate for this thread.

I am looking to buy a preloved City bag (it will be my first) and am wondering how old is too old for a new-to-me purchase. I am able to buy whichever style I prefer, but I almost bought a 2005 Lizard-embossed calfskin City until I noticed how old it was. It seemed to be in good shape (despite an outdated interior lining that would only bother me, lol) but the age of the bag was a little too old for me for me to go through with the purchase because I don’t know anything about this brand and have no idea how they age.

Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge that could help me? I will go through this thread to see the general opinion about how these bags hold up.

Thank You! :smile:

I am looking to buy a preloved City bag (it will be my first) and am wondering how old is too old for a new-to-me purchase. I am able to buy whichever style I prefer, but I almost bought a 2005 Lizard-embossed calfskin City until I noticed how old it was. It seemed to be in good shape (despite an outdated interior lining that would only bother me, lol) but the age of the bag was a little too old for me for me to go through with the purchase because I don’t know anything about this brand and have no idea how they age.

Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge that could help me? I will go through this thread to see the general opinion about how these bags hold up.

Older Balenciaga bags are very sought after. A lot of Bal fans prefer the bags that were produced before 2007. The real issue is finding them in great condition.

Older Balenciaga bags are very sought after. A lot of Bal fans prefer the bags that were produced before 2007. The real issue is finding them in great condition.
IMO that’s a very good sign (that aficionados enjoy the older years)...since I posted that last comment, I purchased a City made in 2014 in a dark, crinkly brown. It goes with my style and I don’t have to worry about it darkening or looking worn prematurely (not that I’m insinuating Bal bags darken or wear out differently than any other brand).

Now that I’ve used up my store credit from the site where I purchased the bag, I can look around to find other years and models if I end up loving the one I just bought.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

Reactions: Monz1987

Are you certain it was a 2005? I don’t recall any embossed bags back then, that was the era of the chevre (goat skin) bags.

Are you certain it was a 2005? I don’t recall any embossed bags back then, that was the era of the chevre (goat skin) bags.
My terminology may not be correct - if so, I apologize :smile: Here is a screenshot of the item I decided not to buy (although I loved the way it looked)

***ETA*** the bag in the photo is lambskin, not calfskin, as I incorrectly mentioned in the other post. Sorry!

20BA658D-41A2-4D66-8A71-5BDB617AC71E.jpeg

My terminology may not be correct - if so, I apologize :smile: Here is a screenshot of the item I decided not to buy (although I loved the way it looked)

***ETA*** the bag in the photo is lambskin, not calfskin, as I incorrectly mentioned in the other post. Sorry!

View attachment 4974972
This is from 2010. It’s a limited edition 10th anniversary bag, in yummy castagna, a lovely brown. You can tell by the coloured lining as well as the tag, it’s in all of the 10th anniversary bags.

This is from 2010. It’s a limited edition 10th anniversary bag, in yummy castagna, a lovely brown. You can tell by the coloured lining as well as the tag, it’s in all of the 10th anniversary bags.
Good grief! That site should get its act together, then. Off by 5 years!

Maybe this means the other one I bought that said it was made in 2014 was really made in 2019, lol!

It’s still sitting there. The more I’m reading here on this forum about the City, the more I’m starting to kick myself for asking that question about the age. Since I’ve got a gorgeous Charbon City (see, I learned the name of the color, lol) coming in tomorrow, I can’t justify buying another brown. But this bag is definitely on my collector’s radar now.

Reactions: samfalstaff
It’s still sitting there. The more I’m reading here on this forum about the City, the more I’m starting to kick myself for asking that question about the age. Since I’ve got a gorgeous Charbon City (see, I learned the name of the color, lol) coming in tomorrow, I can’t justify buying another brown. But this bag is definitely on my collector’s radar now.
I even contemplated it briefly before I reminded myself that I've sold every City I've ever purchased. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: SMElleJae