Called the police, now worried about retaliation.

Oct 9, 2008
I'll make this short.

Last night a couple started a fight outside my house at about 1:30a...they really REALLY screamed for about .5 hour, which to me is a long time in the middle of the night. The man leaves, woman stays on the steps screaming after him and sobbing. DF says, if they start that up again he's going to call the cops.

I can't tell how long (I drifted off to sleep), we wake up to them fighting again, I say, "DF please just call the police to tell them to go home." We look out the window and he is hitting her, she falls to the ground hanging on him and he starts kicking her. We tell the police this and they are there within minutes, we also say on the police call that we do not wish to be identified or contacted (we really just wanted them gone).

The police show up, the woman says he didn't hit her and she doesn't want to press charges, even though she clearly has a bloody face, she tells the cops she doesn't know how that happend. A police officer promptly walk over to our house to talk to us. We seriously can't believe that, especially after we asked them not to, but we let him in to avoid any more conflict. We tell him what we saw, etc. and he leaves.

Now, I'm worried that this couple (mainly the guy) know where we live now and might try to retaliate. This was not a nice looking couple, I mean they looked like a bunch of thugs.

I guess I can't really ask for advice, since it's already happend, I just wanted to vent about being nervous, although if you have any advice or stories, I would appreciate them.

Hmmm. He may not know you called, he may just assume the police went to talk to you because they were in your yard? However, he might want to relatiate. I would just keep an eye out, make sure all doors are locked, alarm is on, etc etc.

We were inside our house, and the police came to our door. We opened the door but did not turn the light on, so Im not sure if they were able to see who we were/what we looked like.

Im just worried Im gonna have some thugs outside my house waiting for me!

I'm sorry you had to witness that and I hope that the woman is okay and that she will realise that she doesn't deserve to have anyone treat her that way.

If you feel unsafe, call the police (not 911) and ask what you should do. Explain the situation and that you are scared of retaliation.

I'm sorry you had to witness that and I hope that the woman is okay and that she will realise that she doesn't deserve to have anyone treat her that way.

If you feel unsafe, call the police (not 911) and ask what you should do. Explain the situation and that you are scared of retaliation.

This.

And try not to worry too much. They are probably too caught up in their own drama to bother worrying about who called the popo. Particularly since they were not taken into custody. I think you could take Sternchens advice and check in with the police at the business number, but do not overly stress.

I have had to call the police on people and nothing has ever happened, their lives are usually such a mess that they move on to the next thing, KWIM....

This.

And try not to worry too much. They are probably too caught up in their own drama to bother worrying about who called the popo. Particularly since they were not taken into custody. I think you could take Sternchens advice and check in with the police at the business number, but do not overly stress.

I have had to call the police on people and nothing has ever happened, their lives are usually such a mess that they move on to the next thing, KWIM....

They actually did take the guy into custody even though the victim didnt want to press charges. The girl ran screaming after the car and threw a gigantic fit. I am hoping that they were too intoxicated and too worked up to really pay attention to that detail, there were 4 cop cars there and at least 6 cops.

They actually did take the guy into custody even though the victim didnt want to press charges. The girl ran screaming after the car and threw a gigantic fit. I am hoping that they were too intoxicated and too worked up to really pay attention to that detail, there were 4 cop cars there and at least 6 cops.

sorry, i missed that he was brought in. They probably dont know who called, it could have been any neighbor, or several. :hugs:

I thought in cases of domestic disputes that an arrest had to be made no matter what, even if they don't want to press charges? Maybe that's only in my state.

In any case, I wouldn't be too worried because they may have just assumed they stopped at your house because you lived nearby.

My guess is that the couple would've just assumed that they were talking to neighbors who may have seen/heard something. I do agree that they were probably caught up in their own crap to be focused on who called.

Here, the only way to call the police is to call 911. If you call the police, you're directed to call 911 and tell them to dispatch the police.

OP, that stinks that they came to your door even after you asked them not to. Hopefully though, like previous posters said, since you didn't turn on the light and they were intoxicated, maybe the individuals blacked it out of their memory.

Do you have motion sensors or a security system? That could help deter the thugs as well.

I doubt very seriously he'll retaliate. Usually abusers focus on people who let them abuse. This woman, even after being beaten, will probably go bail him out and they'll have a week or two of happiness, forget all about the incident (and you), then be right back fighting. It's a crappy cycle, but usually, it's a cycle that's exclusive to those 2 people.

Just be more aware for the new few days. Have a can of pepper spray in one hand and you keys, ready, in another. If something does happen, go for his eyes, his throat, or his groin as hard as you can.

Try not to worry about retaliation. IME abusers don't go after people who can fight back -- you have a husband and a bully won't want to risk getting into a fight he might not win.

I don't think you have much to worry about in the way of retaliation. Chances are, they won't even remember where they were or exactly what house the officers went to.

This.

take the necessary precauitons... don't answer the door if

the lights are not on... just don't stress about it... they are

too busy arguing and not thinking about you...

Don't worry too much. Did the cops talk to other neighbour other than your unit? I can understand all the screaming. Is too terrible. As if they own the street kind like.