CALIFORNIA- Financial Aid for School

  1. Hellooo everyone.....

    I have a Q bc I am not sure!

    Is it true that in the California, if you haven't worked or make under X amount, that you qualify for financial aid?

    Here in FL, the thing is, if you're under 25,not married,no kids,and haven't worked- you're still considered DEPENDANT on your parents no matter what. The only way you would qualify is if you're 25 and over, no work, no kids, not married-then they would qualify you.

    But then someone told me that in CA its different- as long as you don't make much, or haven't worked, then you qualify for a grant or a loan easily.

    What is true?

    Please help someone!!
  2. I know that some of the JC/community colleges have whats called a governors BOWG waiver or something where you basically put down what your taxes were the previous year which they use against a chart and see if you made enough, I think its like less then 10k then you qualify for the waiver. It only waives your tuition fees, you still pay for books. Its good for one year aswell. But, you might want to check with your financial aid office. Also, you might want to consider filling out a FAFSA and have it sent to your school, that way they can determine if you are eligible for pell grants which the school sends you CHECKS for. In california, they consider you a dependent if you arent filing taxes or are living with your parents, but again its based on how you answer the questions on the fafsa and the bowg waiver.
    good luck.
  3. fafsa basis your eligability on your income, or your parents income if you're concidered a dependent.
  4. Having gone through this in CA (federal and state financial aid) I can try to help. BUT I am not a dependent student.
    To qualify for federal aid (by filling out FAFSA) they care about every penny your parents make and you make. If you have not been filing your own tax returns, working for x number of years, married, etc. you're a dependent if you're under 25. If your parents make alot of money they'll have to borrow the money under their name....if they can't afford to send you for whatever reason.
    Now....junior colleges in CA do have special programs, but again they will consider your parents income if you're a dependent student and will base funding on your parents income.

    It kinda sucks...fortunately I was married when I started school and so I was never a dependent...although my hubby's income counts as to how much interest-free loans I can get.

    I would highly suggest contacting schools your interested in attending...the financial aid offices are very very helpful and can answer all your questions.
  5. In CA your aid is based off of the FAFSA...they will consider your parents, guardians, spouse, etc. income in that.
  6. Oh, I can help you!!!!! I go to California State University Northridge and receive financial aid!
    Ok first you need to fill out the FAFSA! However if you are in a community college you can still fill out the Fafsa since school started already. For universities you can not. The deadline already passed. If you are dependant, or independent you can fill it out! You need your taxes or your parents taxes. Then that information is send to your school, and then the school decides how much aid you need, and how much they can help out with, or if your parents need to also give. Then they send you an award letter to tell you wether you get grants. If you qualify, you will get the Pell Grant which is the federal grant that the government gives you! Also if you have a 3.0 gpa you can qualify for the Cal grant, which you need to be resident of California.
    Hopefully I have helped you! If you have any questions please pm me ok.
  7. The best tip to apply for financial is APPLY EARLY!!!!

    With my friend, she is a transfer student from a community college. Her parents dont make much so she pretty much receives everything financial aid she applies for (PELL grant, and CAL grant and EOPS).. PELL grant is the pretty much the one that pays out enough, if not a little bit more than what your tuition cost is.. and CAL grant- that's the money pocketer there! only California resident qualifies for CAL grant and usually you get 2-3-4 time as much as what PELL grant gives you.
    However when u r in a community college, say, CAL grant determines you are eligible to get $5000 a year, but since u r not in a university (which costs more doHH).. they wont give you the full $5000, probably give u a third of it and "save" the rest til you transfer to a uni.

    BUT because she applied close to the deadline, the university she is attending now is giving her some sort of b.s. saying "they ran out of money" because she applied "late"

    Back to your initial question of dependent/independent status-- I'm not so sure, from what I know if you are under 25, not married and stuff.. u will always be considered a dependent. Maybe there are ways around it, but probably only under certain extreme conditions (that I will never know).

    Hope this helps!
  8. its tricky. for 2005, I only worked for a whole of 7.5 weeks and only made 8500$ during those weeks. I didnt work for the rest of year. When I applied for law school and completed the fafsa, I was told that I was granted it based on my income. ( making 8500 in all of 2005, they didnt realize that i only worked 7.5 weeks)..I was only given an X amount, which coveres only half of my tuition the rest I pay (student loans). While my sister is still in undergrad has a 3.9 gpa and gets fafsa from her school, they not only pay the full tuition amount, her books, but have enough to give her via a check every was something like 1500$ a seamester she pockets..even after her schooling is paid off 100% by the financial aid. It depends on how much money your school is allocated by the dept of education and who has the most need and of course who fills out the fafsa first. its normally first come, first serve.
  9. i went through this in CA for both undergrad and graduate. the amount of aid you get for grad/professional schools is usually much less than the amount of aid an undergraduate would get. as an undergraduate, they take into account your income (plus your parents' income if you are still a dependent), and your grades. i forget how they exactly define dependent though. sorry! for grad/professional schools, less aid is available, so they mostly base it on income and usually only loans are available. however, if this is for grad/professional school, there are usually quite a number of fellowships availabe which you need to apply for individually.

    either way, like the other girls said, you should fill out a fafsa (check out FAFSA on the Web - U.S. Department of Education), but as someone else mentioned, the deadline for the 2006-2007 school year probably already passed. i think the deadline is the March before the school year you are requesting aid for. it's not the easiest thing to fill out the first time around, but there are pretty clear directions and if you have your taxes and your parents taxes available, you shouldn't have much trouble. after you fill it out once, the fields are pretty much pre-filled out for the next year, and you just need to make corrections as necessary (such as new address, income changes b/w the years, etc). also, remember not to include your primary home (or your parents' primary home) as an investment property. my first fafsa was filled out by our accountant and he didn't read the directions and just filled it out. this left me only w/ non subsidized loans (interest!), but when i corrected my fafsa, i ended getting an aid package that paid for nearly everything.

    good luck!

    eta: also, the amount of aid you get is decreased by the amount of money you have in your checking account. i recall when i was applying for aid i had read that they will expect you to use 50% of whatever is in your checking/savings towards the expected cost of tuition, books and typical living expenses, and i think 25% of whatever your parents have in their account. if the balances in these accounts are too high, you'll only get interest accruing loans.

    of course, it has been awhile since i went through the undergraduate process, so the numbers may have changed. someone please correct me if they know!

    eta again: sorry, forgot to mention that my experience w/ fin aid is for the university school system!
  10. Free money is typically harder to get....interest-free loans are the next hardest. Then there is the government interest loans...they'll let you max out on those no matter what your income is (BUT if you're a dependent they won't let you...your parents have to borrow the money). After that you can go to private companies (like Bank of America, Citibank, etc.) to get more money.
    In grad school/professional school the amount you're allowed to borrow is much much higher because some professional schools are very expensive....but free money is hard to find.

    If you do get in to a school....apply for scholarships within the school. When I was in a California JC I got over $5K one year, and then in the UC I got $3000 one year and $2500 one year. It's like winning a lottery LOL
  11. I didn't go to school in CA, I came to Brown....but had I gone to a CSU or UC, I probably wouldn't have gotten any aid. I would have gotten the Cal Grant (but that money, eventhough I am a resident of CA, would only be given to me if I went to a school in CA) parents income (my dad is retired and my mom is a teacher) would make me enligible (sp?) for may be the best way to help pay for school