California dreamin

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I used to live in the IE and I hated it!

2. Not familiar with Fontana or Funtucky...but now I will have to look on the map!

3. having lived in both norcal and socal, i can attest to the many, many rivalries that exist:

- UCLA vs. UC Berkeley (competing for best public uni in US), or Bruins vs. Bears
    - the "hella" term (as in "it's hella hot outside!") - that is 100% a Norcal thing, SoCal people *hate* that, i've noticed
    - the term "norcal" - socal ppl insist it should be socal and NOcal :P
    -the weather-- socal ppl think 60 degrees is cold, and 55 degrees is "freezing" (i was appalled that here in LA restaurants turn heat lamps on when it's 60 degrees outside!) in SF thats balmy weather.
    - handbags- in LA, it's Gucci/LV/Prada. In bay area it's more of "im' not a plastic bag" , organic cotton bag purchased at Whole Foods

other things i've noticed about Los Angeles that I've noticed after moving here

-there are WAAY more radio/billboard ads for plastic surgery/boob enhancement than anywhere else i've ever lived (and i've lived in 11 cities)
    - wealth is displayed much more ostentatiously in LA (i have seen more Mercedes, BMWs and bling jewelry in 1 year than i have seen in my entire life)
    -like the song, it NEVER rains here! actually it does rain sometimes, for like 10 minutes, prompting mini floods that cause the on-ramps to the 105 to be shut down and traffic to go from bad to worse. :shrugs: In Northern Cal, it will rain continuously for 10 *days* and people will be, yeah whatevers.

4. They removed the ferris wheel and sold it on eBay, but they got a new one to replace it.

5. ^yep, the old ferris wheel was sold on ebay for $130k. went to oklahoma i think. was replaced with new one earlier this summer

6. Another difference is how people refer to freeways...Southern Californians put "the" before the freeway number.

SoCal: "take the 101 to the 405"
    NorCal: "take 101 to 92"

7. I knew it.. I femember reading that somewhere. I am so glad I got to see the old one before it got removed.

p.s how do you post a double quote?

8. redney - Not all SoCal say it that way.

I think 55 and 60 are cold.

I am a UCLA alum, so I know that rivalry.

I love Whole Foods, organic cotton bags and my LV/Chanel/Hermes.

9. Oh so true, I take it as northern california trying to be like southern california, or socal...oh well, it's funny!

10. My opinions on California have changed a bit since I moved here. When we first moved to California, I was really sad. We were coming from Hawaii and so the first thing I do is compare the two states. I thought California was too cold and the ocean looked too creepy with all the kelp and unidentified floating objects. I also thought the people here were rude and aggressive. Four years later, I still think the same thing except about the people. I've actually run into many nice people who aren't going to run me over when I try to cross the street. If you've lived in Hawaii, you'll understand my comparisons. In Hawaii, people are more laid back, are very friendly, and have very beautiful beaches. When you drive on the freeway, if you want to get in the next lane, cars will let you go through instead of speeding up to keep you out.
    Overall, if I couldn't move back to Hawaii, California would be my next and only choice. I really enjoy the ability to get in my car and drive to Vegas at the last minute, or check out LA if I'm bored. I love how there are many of my favorite stores here too. I also love the many museums and amusement parks that are scattered around. There is definitely a lot to do here and I love that!

11. awww...i love this thread! and it is so hilarious and true about all of those inside rivalries that only californians would know about. :P

i've lived in socal all my life (in la county) and have always, ALWAYS wanted to experience living in a "real city" (aka NYC). i've had many friends who've moved there, whether for school or for work, and almost all of them have returned, each one telling me the same as the next, that while it was fun and glamorous living the big city life for a period, california is where they want to settle. i have to admit i've had a hard time believing them, but now this thread has reminded me all the reasons why living here is so great! i mean, i know my grass is green, but central park's has always seemed greener (lol)...until now, perhaps.

now i remember all the reasons why i love living here. because the sunny skies make every weekend feel like i'm on vacation. because i live within 45 minutes of beaches, mountains, nightlife, shopping, lakes, hollywood, great FOOD. because, although michelin star restaurants are fabulous and all, there is no better place in the whole WORLD to get authentic chinese, thai, mexican, korean, japanese, brazilian, taiwanese, or pretty much any other ethnic cuisine you can think of. it is all a matter of driving distance. where else can you get all this?!

oh and even though i am a southern californian, i must agree that norcal is also one of the most amazingly beautiful destinations in the world. if you haven't been, you MUST visit monterey, drive along the PCH and 17-mile drive, and experience napa at least once in your life!

i :love: california!! and lucky for me, i can visit NYC every year and live vicariously through my new yorker friends the rest of the time. :tender:

12. OK, I am the OP and I do love Cali, (I know some of you hate that I call it that .. sorry).. but I MUST represent where Im from also: I am from Long Island, NY and ... I need to comment to this quote:

"because i live within 45 minutes of beaches, mountains, nightlife, shopping, lakes, hollywood, great FOOD. because, although michelin star restaurants are fabulous and all, there is no better place in the whole WORLD to get authentic chinese, thai, mexican, korean, japanese, brazilian, taiwanese, or pretty much any other ethnic cuisine you can think of. it is all a matter of driving distance. where else can you get all this?!"

Long Island sounds exactly like this. In fact if I didn't know you were describing Cali, I'd think you were talking about where I live. California would be my home away from home, because it reminds me so much of LI, and the hamptons.

I am 10 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean, 2 hours from the mountains if I go Upstate. The nightlife here LI is renowned enough for the celebrities to make the trip from LA.. and in NYC.. well its is the best there. Shopping.. oh my. Here on LI we can go to the many malls or to the Miracle Mile in Manhasset, where you will find all the shops found on Rodeo drive.. Lovely. Shopping in NYC, I'm sure you all know how fabulous that is..
    Lakes.. we got em.. and there all over..
    food.. so many ethnicities here, whatever food you want day or night.. we got it. Little Italy, China Town.. its all authentic and delicious.

I love California.. I'd give anything to get on a plane and go right now.. but my home here on LI, reminds me a lot of it.. especially in the Hamptons.. so I'm sorry but I just needed to represent!

13. [​IMG]

14. #89 Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
    I agree. As long as people don't take them too seriously, the rivalries are part of what's fun about living here. I love it. :biggrin:

15. I've never been to CA but it's on my wishlist. Maybe I watch too many movies but the people there seem so laid back - seems like a cool place to live. Not to mention so beautiful. I live on the east coast, my DH hates it! He thinks the people are very rude