California dreamin

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I love it here. Just hate my city. It's boring. Always dusty.. I can wash my car one day and overnight the desert dirt will make it dirty again. I'm thinking about moving more towards the beach.

But as much as I love it.. Cali is overrated and EXPENSIVE.

2. I am (San Diego). Sometimes it gets really annoying being here, there are barely even 2 seasons, let alone 4 and for the last few years instead of being excited about fall, we've been worried about the wildfires. We had to evacuate last year and I hope we don't have to repeat that this year.

I do like the variety of things to do though, that's always nice. But I'm ready for a change of scenery at the moment, it's getting monotonous for me since I've lived here all my life. And it's SO expensive all the time!

3. I love L.A. The shopping there is just phenomenal. South Coast Plaza is a dream come true. I hate the constant rainy storms and lack of great designer stores over where I live. And having 8 LV stores within hours drive is a great pleasure.

The weather up there is fantastic too, we go down to L.A. every summer and christmas, and the weather never fails us. It's always beautiful up there. The only problem is that it's pretty polluted in the Hollywood area, and always have wildfires, at least in San Diego/Hollywood.

I'll gladly move down to L.A. in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Sacramento is just terrible!:tdown:

4. I'm from San Jose! originally from MN. I LOVE the weather. I never get sick of the landscape. I love living only 30mins from the ocean. Con-too pricey.

5. I am so jealous. I love CA. Keep your posts coming please.

6. I lived in the beach cities (santa monica, marina del rey and playa del rey) for years and loved it in the beginning, the novelty wore off. I still like southern cal, and although I moved north back to the island I grew up on for family reasons, I still fly there, where I work two weeks a month. It's truly the best of both worlds, but as I've gotten a bit older, the peace and quiet of the pacific northwest has a bit of an edge.

7. My sister lives in California and I have been there quite a few times, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Napa Valley, Santa Cruz, San Jose ... Love it all!!! EXCEPT that it is so expensive :sad:

I would LOVE to move from the Midwest, I DETEST the weather here :yucky:

8. The weather on Long Island, ny has been pretty reminisent of LA for the past couple of sunny days that we've had. Low humidity and nice temps.. this is what I love. LA weather just can't be beat, that is what I love the most there. I'd give anything to live there. It would be such a hassle to get my CA certification and look and get a teaching position there. Anyone who teaches in CA, how is the teaching job hunting there? Here in NY, it was torture to get my job, I would be afraid to leave it.

9. My husband and I went to San Francisco last year and we LOVED it.. I want to go back, its so beautiful and there is so much to do. I would love to move there some day.

10. The only thing really THAT expensive in CA is housing. I'm in Indiana and our food and gas prices are right up there with the more expensive places. And honestly, paying double for a house to be in CA is soooooooo worth it. Hmmmm...rent and be happy, or own a house and be miserable? I'll take the renting anyday....plus I'm finding home ownership (after 6 years and several houses) to be a real drag.

Yea...I'd go back in a heartbeat!

4 seasons are incredibly overrated....try cleaning up leaves on a 1/2 acre property for 3 months (I wish I could buy like some thing that could go up and suck all the damn leaves off in September so I don't have to deal with it)....or shoveling snow out of your driveway. Oh, and lest you forget having to wear sweaters, winter jackets, gloves, multiple scarves, hats, and boots for 4-6 months out of the year. You look like a freaking snowman. Then you have to scrape the ice off your car....by the time you get in your car you're covered in snow, then it melts because of the heat in your car....but then you have to get out again and your clothing actually FREEZES from the water from the snow that melted.
    Oh...and don't forget about slipping and falling on the ice.

Yup...I'll take CA weather anyday.

At least with a fire you have some kind of warning...tornadoes? You get 5 minutes, if you're lucky. Good luck evacuating...you just run to the basement and hope it doesn't get ya.

Oh, and the humidity of the Midwest SUCKS (not really looking forward to that in miami either). The only nice season is Spring, but then it starts raining too much and that season sucks too.

11. One of the best kept secrets of CA certification is that you can actually test out of a lot of the CA credentialing process by taking the Teaching Foundations Exams.

Another option is to become National Board Certified - which will entitle you to be immediately awarded a California Credential. It is probably the option that I would take for the long term benefits - there is often a one-off cash payout and, for example, LAUSD offers a 15 percent increase in compensation (7.5 percent salary and 7.5 percent for an additional 92 hours of work each year) for classroom teachers - which will carry over to the yummy teacher's pension!!!!

As for job vacancies - things have def. slowed down a lot - you can check the situation out on edjoin. It's def. easier if you are NBC.

As for me and CA. - its the light and sun.. after spending my first ever winter here without a wisp of depression - I knew that I had to stick around.

12. I guess I'm one of the exceptions. Been living here for 10 years and I still haven't fallen in love with the place. In fact, I feel like I'm just waiting it out 'till I move somewhere else. I have to agree with many though that shopping is phenomenal so that kind of pacifies my longing to flee. For now anyway...

13. You made me laugh! You pretty much summed up how I feel about living here too, only I have lived in the Chicago area my whole life! It never REALLY bothered me until about two years ago, I don't why but I just CANNOT STAND the weather anymore :yucky: I don't know HOW I will get through another winter here :sad: Maybe I'll go visit my sister in Cali - LOL!!!!

14. I have lived in Hollywood, Westwood and now in the San Diego area. I love living in Southern CA. I love the attitude, shopping, most of the cities, the beach and the weather.

15. I live in downtown San Francisco, although not the ghetto tenderloin part, I hate it. Foggy, crowded with tourists, windy, cold, I hate everything about it.

The only good thing is that I can take the train or the bus to basically everywhere in SF with my lovely bus pass, and I can walk to the 24hr Walgreens if I run out of toothpaste at 3:32 am.

I guess it's "cool" too that I live few blocks from Union Square, but my bank account doesn't agree with me.

Restaurants are OK downtown but overpriced, that's why I love to eat at Chinatown (non-tourist part). $15 you get 4 dishes PLUS unlimited steamed rice. Can't beat that! You'll have enough leftovers for 2 weeks!

Forget about the sunshine, the beach, wearing skirts in August. SF's two-week-summer doesn't start till October. Yeah, very lovely.

Overpriced rent, food, laundromats. I wouldn't stay here if it wasn't for mine and my DH's jobs.

/end of rant

(Sorry I'm PMSing!)