Travel Calgary Folks! I need your help

Jul 18, 2009
Hello All~
I'm taking a trip out west to visit my sister in Alberta (Grande Prairie) which is unfortunately too far from the Edmonton, Calgary and Banff LV stores - but I may end up having five hours in Calgary before I have to reach my connecting flight.
So - I was wondering if any of the Calgary folk might be able to tell me just how far the airport is from the Holt Renfrew, and if five hours would be sufficient time to go there, browse, buy a Louis Vuitton, and get back to the airport in time. This would all happen on a Saturday, if that helps.
Thank you!!

ummmm since its a saturday im assuming it will take longer.. maybe $40?

but ive gone downtown from the airport on a friday night for $17.. i guess it just depends on the day/time.

5 hours is plenty. A taxi ride from the airport is only 15 minutes to Holts downtown, it will cost you around $35 each way.

Saturday is even better as downtown Calgary is very quiet on the weekends. If you have a specific bag in mind, you may want to call ahead and ask them to hold it for you. In terms of getting back to the airport. You'll only need to get back to the airport 1.5 hours before your next flight.

A cheaper option is to call the Banff store and ask them to Fedex the bag to your sister's place, it will cost you around $40 or so for the Fedex fee.

Thank you all so much for the great help! I've thought about having a bag shipped to my sisters place, but I'm kinda looking forward to the boutique experience, plus I don't have a credit card, so I'm not sure exactly how I would pay for the bag (will LV do cash-on-delivery?)

When I was in Ottawa, all of the cab companies accepted debit. Are cabs in Calgary like this as well, or do they only accept cash?
I'm guessing it'll be easy to get a cab *at* the airport, but will finding a cab near Holts be difficult? Do they usually park outside, or will I need to call and ask the company to send one?

No, LVs do not do cash on delivery. I am not sure about cabs accepting debit as I always pay with my Amex. Getting a cab from the airport is a breeze as there is a taxi stand there. Getting a cab from Hotls will be easy too. If you can't find one and is in a hurry, just walk up 3 blocks (3 minutes walk) to the Westin hotel and there is always a taxi there.

You might want to spare a little more money for that cab ride. Last time I took a cab from the airport-home (about 12km) and the cost was almost $30. The rate of cabs hired at the airport costs more.

I'm not sure which cab company is good though, since I rarely take a cab. When you are done at holts, I'm sure you can ask the customer service girls to call a cab for you.