Calfskin vs. Kid?

RedsMom

Cowboy Nation
O.G.
Jan 11, 2009
TPF'ers-

Happy Labor Day weekend! I searched in the reference library and couldn't find information on this....Silly question, but what is the difference between calfskin and kid?

I appreciate your expertise on this-TIA!

That's a good question, I've been wondering the same...
I suppose kid is simply another word for calfskin... for example, at Chanel the classic bags come mostly in caviar or lambskin (sometimes patent, too), and caviar is another word for calfskin, so probably it's the same here with the Loubies...

But I don't know for sure and maybe the real experts here can chime in...

Not sure if there is a difference between calfskin and kid, but I do know there is a difference between those two and Nappa, which is a version of kid and calfskin that is much softer, but not a shiney(more matte in finish, and does not polish up as shiney).....I know my feet love Nappa much more than kid and Nappa does not seem to need as much of a "break in"......curious about other views out there....

It is more confusing when one talks about polished kid or calfskin(called Jazz in Louboutins) vs. Patent.....I think patent has a clear coat on top to make it extra shiney, but not sure....

It is more confusing when one talks about polished kid or calfskin(called Jazz in Louboutins) vs. Patent.....I think patent has a clear coat on top to make it extra shiney, but not sure....

I totally agree. I dont know how to care for them too. Cant use either conditioner for normal leather or patent leather spray. Extremely confusing :shucks::shucks:

Thanks ladies for your replies....I appreciate everyone weighing in. A second question around this topic-what is the softest leather in Louboutin? I am in the market for pointy toe styles in Black and Nude (slightly scared about Pigalle, looking at Decolette and other styles-bought Manolo BB's in both colors in the interim), and given the tight toe box of the various style, I am curious to know which leather would break in the quickest-Nappa, Calf or Kid? Thanks again for your guidance!

Hello! I just wanted to know if there is a difference in comfort between leather and patent leather! Also I imagine the leather to have much more stretch than the patent? Is this true?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

Hello! I just wanted to know if there is a difference in comfort between leather and patent leather! Also I imagine the leather to have much more stretch than the patent? Is this true?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

The CL patent leather is very stiff. It depends on the leather you're looking for... Nappa leather is very soft and has definitely more stretch than patent leather. Calfskin is more robust than nappa-calfskin and may have more stretch than CL patent leather.