calfskin leather muse bag: is it as good as buffalo leather?

I see. I'll probably like the muse more and more later on the more I look at it....:love: . The leather is hard. So it'll get softer if I use it more? I got it at Bluefly for a little over 1000. Do you think that this is worth it? The chanel timeless clutch is 1150.

at first I thought if I return the muse, I might get the chanel or miu miu coffer bag. Or I could keep the bag now and save for chanel later....What do you think, muse lovers, do you think the muse is worth that much?

Thanks for any help

I took it home, and it looks so much better...maybe because of the lighting and the furniture. Makes the bag looks so much better. I'm going to keep it :yahoo: thanks so much for your help.

there really is a calfskin muse coming soon:

NMV06EV_mp.jpg

it's on preorder at neiman marcus (tentative arrival in september). they have it labeled as "updated muse tote"...i guess since the leather is now calfskin and not buffalo. you can definitely tell it's calf as it's very smooth and shiny, like hermes box leather (which is also calf) however i'm not sure if this one is as stiff as hermes box.

My calfskin muse from Bluefly doesnt look anything like that!
Bluefly states some muse as calfskin but I'm not sure if its a misrepresentation or its true. I just asked my SA here the other day and she said that so far, there's no muse made in calfskin, only buffalo. But yet, my 'calfskin' muse from bluefly has very different leather from my buffalo muse. hmmm..... Can anyone enlighten me please?

My muse finally arrived today. Though it's a large, I'm surprised that it's not big. The tag is baffalo africa. It's not as great as I thought. Now I'm thinking should I return it or not

I got a large in teak yesterday...and I sent it back today. I also wasn't bowled over - it wasn't too big...and it definitely was NOT soft. I can't remember what type of leather it was...but I figured if I didn't LOVE it right away, it wasn't meant to be!

So...I went to Saks today and bought a Valentino bag on sale instead!

According to my SA at YSL in BH, Muse are made out of cow leather - not water buffalo as some of us thought -- and are treated to resember buffalo hide. He said the leather's all the same just the treatment is different.

This is all very confusing to me. :confused1:

I've been under the impression (since I bought my Muse back in 06) that they are made of buffalo leather.

I had assumed that Bluefly was mislabeling theirs as calf leather, because they often do mislabel things. (Although admittedly, some of those Bluefly Muses do look different to me; grainier texture.)

Here's what YSL.com says:
attachment.php

Attachments

• buffalo.JPG
    buffalo.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 217
the ysl bag is real buffalo... why wouldn't it be? the leather is not expensive or particularly rare. plus on the tag it does say the material is "bubalus," which is buffalo. if it was embossed calf it would say so. i had a muse that i bought in late 06 and sold in early 07 and some other small accessories from the tom ford era that used bubalus.

anyway, as i reported in post #21, there will be a muse coming out for the fall season that actually is calfskin ;)

Last edited:
there really is a calfskin muse coming soon:

NMV06EV_mp.jpg

it's on preorder at neiman marcus (tentative arrival in september). they have it labeled as "updated muse tote"...i guess since the leather is now calfskin and not buffalo. you can definitely tell it's calf as it's very smooth and shiny, like hermes box leather (which is also calf) however i'm not sure if this one is as stiff as hermes box.

This bag is already available at the boutiques, I think. I just saw it at the 57th Street store in NY.

I agree, it's really confusing. Some of bluefly's muse is labelled as leather while some as calfskin. The picture of the leather ones look smoother....not sure why. Mine is labelled calfskin but it's really grainy, so I believe it's buffalo leather. The updated muse with calfskin looks so much better...

i think the new muse in calfskin looks really nice, but i feel like the handles should be changed to a very small length (like a lv speedy), for hand/elbow carry. the shoulder-carry strap kind of throws off the bag's dimensions for me.