Calculator recommendation for biochem?

ETenebris

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Some of you have already read and responded to my post about studying for biochem (THANK YOU!!!), and now I need calculator advice. It has been ten years since I took gen chem, and I have (somewhere) an HP48g and a TI-94 (the big mother calculator with graphing, memory, and a 5"x8" footprint). If I could find my HP48g I would probably use that for class, but it is not where I thought it was (and it uses Reverse Polish Notation, which is a pain). So I am considering something else...I would prefer to not spend a fortune, but I am also not sure how intense our calculations will be. I know I need to at least do log calculations. Suggestions? :shrugs:

Some of you have already read and responded to my post about studying for biochem (THANK YOU!!!), and now I need calculator advice. It has been ten years since I took gen chem, and I have (somewhere) an HP48g and a TI-94 (the big mother calculator with graphing, memory, and a 5"x8" footprint). If I could find my HP48g I would probably use that for class, but it is not where I thought it was (and it uses Reverse Polish Notation, which is a pain). So I am considering something else...I would prefer to not spend a fortune, but I am also not sure how intense our calculations will be. I know I need to at least do log calculations. Suggestions? :shrugs:

Biochem has little to none calculations, you'll do fine with just a regular graphing calculator. It's more like Organic Chemistry and practically nothing like Gen Chem.

So I should get a graphing calculator? (As opposed to a non-graphing with log function)
I don't think you should. You do little to none calculations - there won't be any moles, conversions or any of that gen chem stuff. The only calculations there are you will either be able to do in your mind or on the most basic and simple elementary school type calculator.

If you have taken Microbiology, Genetics, Cell biology and Molecular Biology + Organic Chemistry = Biochem is essentially the hybrid of all of those. It's much more about drawing molecules, cycles, knowing the mechanics of DNA and RNA replication machinery, transcription and all that stuff than anything else.

There are practically no calculations from what I remember.

I know you don't need a calc. but I wanted to say-- I love my TI-89 calculator. hehe i got it in 7th grade and i'm going into 9th grade in 3 days, this will accompany me throughout high school. it's so handy and it looks really pretty ^__^ it's a great calculator, i love TI over the HP graphing calculators.

*sorry i sound nerdy!!

I'd say a regular TI calculator will be fine...either TI-89 or a non-graphing calculator. Many Unis don't allow you to use programmable calculators during exams, so be sure to use one throughout the year that doesn't have a programming function so that you're not stuck with a brand new calc that you don't know how to use in the exam ;)

I'm taking medical biochemistry right now, and I am not allowed to use graphing calculators. Our professor fears that we'll store the Hendersen-Hasselbach equation on it or something. She makes us use scientific, non-graphing calculators, which is okay since the only real calculations we've done is calculating pH and pKas.

I'm taking medical biochemistry right now, and I am not allowed to use graphing calculators. Our professor fears that we'll store the Hendersen-Hasselbach equation on it or something. She makes us use scientific, non-graphing calculators, which is okay since the only real calculations we've done is calculating pH and pKas.

Yeah, these are the only calculations we did in biochem, so you really don't need anything beyond one of those TI calculators. Biochem is less chemistry and more biology/organic. And it's actually relevant to real life.

This is what we are doing, as well. We can use a graphing calculator if we sit on one of the front two rows during the exams. The one nice thing about graphing calculators is that you can set up the whole equation at one time. I ended up buying a $13 TI-30X IIS which is just a scientific calculator. I also have the TI-92 which is HUGE, but I don't recall it having a log function key (which seems strange). They were sold out of the TI-83 and most of the other graphing calculators, but if I could find a nice used TI-89 or TI-86 I might add it to the collection.

Attachments

• TI30XIIS_L.jpg
    TI30XIIS_L.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 87
  • ti-92.jpg
    ti-92.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 135