Calcaire or Rouille

Yes, my calcaire does have a pinkish tinge. Color can transfer on the calcaire unfortunately. I have a very light area of color transfer from my dark indigo jeans. But that pair had a tendency to rub dye on everything. I once spilled something on my jeans and used a napkin rub it dry and some of the dye got on the napkin. It only happened from that article of clothing though and I've worn my calcaire many times with my lighter jeans. I'd definitely spray it with apple guard to protect it.

I think calcaire is extremely versatile. It'll definitely go with greys and browns. I had never had to be too conscious about what color I was wearing when I grabbed the calcaire bag to use.

Golden, I think you are confusing the 2006 pre-Spring Pale Rose color with the 2005 pre-Fall Calcaire. There is no 2006 Calcaire.

ET, I was considering the Calcaire about a month ago (debating between Calcaire and Ice Blue hobos, both of which Bal NY had available at the time) and Loganz offered up some extremely helpful information about the Calcaire. She said it definitely has pink undertones. The info is here on the Bal board somewhere, but I'm not sure where. You might want to try running a search.

I have to tell you, I absolutely HATE the rouelle. Hate, hate, hate. I think it is absolutely hideous looking. I know there are some here who like it, but it seriously kicks my gag reflex into gear. I have seen the color in person on a number of different occasions, in several different style bags, and I am of the opinion that it is an eye sore. The first thing that pops into my mind when I see it is: Tobasco sauce. Not a good image for a bag to conjure up. Besides being an assault to my eyesight, I don't think the color is particularly practical; it is terribly difficult to match. If you wear lots of black you could pull it off (even then it would look a little Halloweenish), but if you like colored clothing, you'll have a hard time matching it with much of anything.

It's very difficult to tell from that picture what color it is, but I've heard that Cricket sells authentic bags - you might want to try calling them and asking, even though it's an international call.

There is no 2006 Calcaire. The 2005 Calcaire was never considered a "white" bag - Atelier.naff is referring to the various incarnations of actual white with regard to the many different seasons that true white has been produced - some had grey undertones, etc.

2005 Calcaire would never be confused with any of these "whites" side-by-side - it has a distinctive, though very slight, pink tint, like the inside of a sea-shell.

^^ I have never heard any Balenciaga referred to as "the sac". The bag pictured looks like the city to me. As for the color, I can't say for sure. Calcaire was a fall 2005 color, but the Calcaire bags that I have seen don't look exactly like the one on styledrops.com. I don't see any pink undertones in the styledrops bag.

angstofgumby said:
^^ I have never heard any Balenciaga referred to as "the sac". The bag pictured looks like the city to me. As for the color, I can't say for sure. Calcaire was a fall 2005 color, but the Calcaire bags that I have seen don't look exactly like the one on styledrops.com. I don't see any pink undertones in the styledrops bag.

I know that Styledrops sometimes comes up with their own weird names for bags. They are calling the 2006 bags "City" but this one "Sac." It is listed as fall/winter 2005/2006, so I thought it might be the one. I wish their prices were a little more in line with U.S. prices. Maybe I should wait for the blanc that is coming out this fall. I wish we had more than the small swatches to go by.

I love that orangy color. It's so different. It's def. a reddish orange. The calcaire is pretty too. But two very diff colors.

Cricket is authentic. But, the deals are not very good with the exorbitant amount they charge for shipping, 65 pounds.

ET, unless you are 150% positive about the bag, I would not purchase from styledrops. It might be safer to wait for the fall colors, or keep a close watch on eBay. I have a feeling that Calcaire is a color that you really need to see in person to be sure about. Besides, I'm not even certain that Calcaire is the bag that is pictured on styledrops' site. Process of elimination would lead me to believe that it is, but there are so many other factors that come into play when trying to decipher color through a photograph.

Between the two, I would definitely say the calcaire. IMO it was one of the nicest colors from Fall 05 - and its leather is soft and squooshy. If I wasn't afraid of getting it dirty, I would have bought that color in an instant!!

I think both colours are nice--I've seen the orange, or rouille (which means "rust") colour look great on people who have red hair and/or that kind of colouring. The calcaire has kind of a magical quality to the colour, and that is pretty darn enticing!

Good luck on your bag search! I hope you can find both colours and decide having seen both.

i think that "nude" bag on styledrops is this seasons white- its pretty rich for being... white- so maybe that is how they call it nude?

it looks like white to me. calcaire is the color of the inside of seashells- beige with a bit of pink

i love calcaire, but rust also has its place. they are so different colors though- hard to compare. i would get the rust in a twiggy, box or first- the calcaire in a work or city. smaller bags with more impactful colors looks good to me!