Food Cake Problems, HELP???

ang_z

Jul 19, 2009
I tried a new recipe for a Pina Colada Cake, the cake comes out looking great, rises beautifully and tastes even better... the only problem is that when ever I'm cutting the cake it starts to crumble!:hysteric: It does not retain that beautifully sliced cake look, it crumbles and I don't know why or how to prevent the cake from crumbling? Could it be that the cake has too much liquid? Please HELP

P.S. the recipe calls for pineapple chunks (small chunks) in it's juice and for coconut flakes. I don't know if this makes a difference or not?

Sounds like a fantastic recipe! I doubt it's too much liquid if it's crumbling.

Not sure on a solution, but make sure it's cool before cutting - maybe even put it in the fridge for an hour or longer before slicing and use a cool, damp knife that you dip in water between each slice and see if it helps. IMO if it tastes fantastic enough, serve it with some coconut ice cream to cover it up and no one will care what it looks like!!

I would add an extra couple of egg whites. 2 if eggs are large. 3 if not.

Egg white acts as a binding ingredient.

Just think how sticky your fingers are after you use eggshell halves to separate the white from the yolk.

And remember how strong egg is when sticking to a pan used to make scrambled eggs! Major PITA to hand wash the pan if you don't soak it first.