Food Cajun/Creole Recipes

MINI KING CAKES

1 can (17.5 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® cinnamon rolls with icing 2 tablespoons yellow colored sugar 2 tablespoons purple colored sugar 2 tablespoons green colored sugar

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
2 Separate dough into 5 rolls. To make mini king cake, unroll 1 roll into a dough rope; fold rope in half lengthwise. Twist dough in a spiral, and shape into a circle. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat to use up rolls, placing 2 inches apart.
3 Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
4 Spread icing on warm cakes. Sprinkle with colored sugars.

To make homemade colored sugar, add sugar and a drop of food color to a small food-storage plastic bag. Knead sugar with fingers on the outside of the bag until the color distributes evenly. Add additional food color to desired color.
•
To get sugar to stick to the icing, sprinkle the sugar on immediately after spreading icing on the mini king cakes.

Attachments

• king-8.jpg
    king-8.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 154
SOUTHERN RED/WHITE BEANS

For those who prefer white beans this is good for that too.

Cajun Style Red Beans & Rice ~ few ppl thought my pic of the red beans & rice looked good so I'll post the recipe and I cook like my maw-maw so we don't measure please bare w me on that one.

This recipe is for the ppl don’t have time to stand over stove for 5 hours cooking dry beans unless you have a Crockpot. The only problem using a Crockpot is beans are watery and most of us Southerners like our Red Beans creamy so this is what I do:

Over night I put (1) pound of Camellia red beans (IMO these are the best) to soak in water. I also add all my spices at this time to my beans bc while they're soaking they soak up not just water but all the spices that make them taste so good. Before I put my water I sprinkle these spices over my dry beans:

Zaterians Creole Seasoning (you can use any type of Creole or Cajun seasoning I just like this one the best) I'll put a picture of it to show what it looks like.
salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
(1) to (2) bay leaves whole
add water that covers the beans about 3 to 4 inches above the beans.

The next morning I set my Crockpot on high for about 7 to 8 hrs

When I get home I stir it and turn off the Crockpot.

I like usually cast iron or Dutch oven pots to cook in but you can use any kind

(1) lg chopped onion
(2) chopped belle peppers
(3) chopped green onions
chopped parsley
(2) tbsp minced garlic
In our grocery stores down here we can buy pre-chopped seasoning like this in a container in our produce section...it's called Creole or Cajun chopped seasoning b/c they mix all of these together...it's fabulous and saves me lots of time.

(1) lb of whatever kind of meat bc we put meat in our beans: I usually use cubed ham it's less fattening but most use sliced up smoke or andouille sausage(so good but so fattening) or pickled or salt meat. If you want to get brave with it some even use pig feet, tails, etc...NOT ME YUK! but to each his own...

coat the bottom of the pot w EVOO throw in my meat to fry it down for about 5 minutes. Then throw the rest of the seasoning in and sauté it down until all they're all translucent. Then pour in beans and mix everything together and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. You shouldn't need anymore spices but you may want test taste a little and if does just sprinkle a little of everything you use from the night before stir and let it simmer for abt 10 minutes longer. You should put some salt in your rice when you steam it or you will have to add some to your beans. O and you always need a bottle of Tabasco for beans, can't eat beans w/o hot sauce.

C'est tout!

Attachments

• Caun White Beans and Rice.jpg
    Caun White Beans and Rice.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 190
  • imagesCAJJMUYI.jpg
    imagesCAJJMUYI.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 138
  • ZatariansCreoleseasoning.jpg
    ZatariansCreoleseasoning.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 128
BAKED HAM

Depending on how big the ham is:

(1) to (2) cans of coke
Can of Sliced Pineapple in it's own juice
(1) jar of maraschino cherry
tooth picks
brown sugar

Pour coke, pine apple and cherry juice over ham

spread a generous amount of brown sugar all over ham

stick pineapple around ham w/cherries in the middle

pre heat oven to 325 and cook from approx 4 to 5 hours.

To baste I use a cajun or marinade injector I think it's better than a baster because you can get the juices in the middle of the meat you're cooking.

C'est tout!

Attachments

• ham.jpg
    ham.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 138
  • injector.jpg
    injector.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 130
GUMBO

Meat of your choice (usually) would be chicken & sausage, shrimp, crabmeat & oysters, I put any and all of these if I have them. Usually people don't mix the chicken and sausage with the seafood but it's still delicious.

Depending on how big of a pot you make will depend on how much ingredients to use. I have a picture posted of the size pot I cook in so my ingredients will pertain to that size pot. I use a 10qt Magnalite pot to cook my gumbos in & large cast iron skillet

Ingredients:

2 lbs. of boneless chicken breast
2 pks of smoked sausage
2 lbs of shrimp
2 lbs of mix blue crab meat

If you're doing only chicken & sausage I'd do 3 to 4 lbs of chicken.

Chopped seasoning (green onions, onions, belle peppers, parsley, garlic)
2 tbsp minced garlic
seasoning spices (Creole seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper)
2 cooking spoons of flour
approx 1/2 c of cooking oil
1 dz eggs (optional but soooo good!)
(1) kettle of hot water.
1 tsp of file’
1 tsp kitchen bouquet (optional)

directions: (the way I do it)

slice up sausage
cut up chicken into small pieces (bit size if possible)
shrimp must be pealed of course

if you buy pre-chopped seasoning you going to use at the entire container.

fry sausage w/half of the container of seasoning after sausage is browned place in large bowl on side for later use

take rest of seasoning and sauté abt 5 to 10 minutes then throw in chicken and season w seasoning spices (Creole seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper). Cook chicken for approx 20 minutes. Turn off fire.

In Large pot coat bottom of pot w either canola or veg oil abt 1/4 c. should on medium high heat. After oil is heated use about (2) heaping cooking spoons of flour. Reduce heat to medium low. The consistency of the roux mixture should look like syrup of it looks pastier just add sm amounts of oil until you get to the consistency you want. Use a wisk to constitently stir roux until it gets a shade lighter then what Hersey's chocolate syrup looks like. This will probably take 30 to 45 minutes and you may have to fluctuate your heat just don't keep it any higher them medium for a long period of time. When it's starts turn dark brown if you get nervous you can begin add the other ingredients, it it’s not as dark as you’d like it to be after the water is add you can just add "kitchen bouquet" at the end, this is a browning and thickening agent. ***A roux burns very quickly***

After roux is cooked add sausage and continue to stir mixture then add chicken, the roux mixture will begin to look pasty. Take a little bit of the water from the kettle and pour into the skillet to get the drippings and pour into the gumbo pot (never drain any grease from any meat you cook that's where all your flavor is....no said Gumbo was healthy LOL). Take entire kettle of hot water and pour into gumbo pot. Add more spice seasoning to the gumbo and stir well. The consistency should be between a stew and soup if thicker then you want you may want to heat another kettle full of water and add as you need. At this time if gravy/juice isn't as dark as you'd hoped this is where you'd add your "kitchen bouquet" abt 1 tsp until at a time until you get it to the color you want. Turn fire to medium and bring to a boil then turn down to medium/low to simmer for about 30 minutes. At this time you'll want to put some rice on to cook. If you have shrimp and crabmeat you don't have to add that until abt 10 minutes before gumbo is finished crabmeat is already cooked and shrimp cooks fast.

Eggs are optional...bring a pot of water to boil add eggs and boil for approx 15 minutes remove from heat peal and throw into gumbo. You would do this right after you add your shrimp and/r crabmeat and about 1 tsp of file'.

People think gumbo is very hard to cook but once you have the roux making down then you're good to go b/c that's the heart of a good gumbo or stew.

C'est tout!

Attachments

• kitchenbouquet.jpg
    kitchenbouquet.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 139
  • file'.jpg
    file'.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 132
  • guidryscreolseasoning.jpg
    guidryscreolseasoning.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 10qtmagnalite.jpg
    10qtmagnalite.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Cajun Gumbo.jpg
    Cajun Gumbo.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 164
  • largecastironskillet.jpg
    largecastironskillet.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 126
POTATO SALAD

(1) dozen eggs
5 lbs of potatoes (preferably red potatoes)
salt
pepper
dill relish
olives
Mayo (32 oz jar)
1/4 c mustard
paprika
1tbsp Zaterian's liquid crab/shrimp boil (optional)

You’re also going to need something as big as a punch boil to mix and serve it in.

optional: chopped seasoning: onions & green onions (I don't like this in mine so I don’t put it), I make what my family calls "plain potato salad" but they love it!

Boil two pots of water (1) for potatoes and (1) for eggs:

**TIP**: Hard boiled eggs: always put eggs in boiling water, never place eggs in water then bring to a boil. They peal much easier if you bring the water to a boil first.

place (1) dozen of eggs in boiling water for approx 15 to 20 minutes

peal and dice up potatoes and throw into a pot of boiling water. Dicing is optional; I do this b/c they get softer faster. This will take about 30 to 45 min...depending on how soft you want your potatoes, I like me as soft as you'd make mash potatoes.

run boiled eggs under cold water then peal. Place two eggs on the side and throw the rest in your serving bowl.

Place drain potatoes place potatoes in same bowl.

Down here we use "Blue Plate" mayo but you can use any mayo you want, I just prefer Blue Plate.

Mash potatoes and eggs together empty half the jar of mayo and 1/8 c of mustard along with abt tbsp of salt, pepper and relish. Mix together well. taste if it's good then your done if not, you may need to add a fourth more of mayo the rest of the mustard and another tbsp of salt, pepper and relish. Be sure to mix well each time you add anything.

Take you (2) eggs you placed on the side and slice up and spread around the top of the dish, also take as many olives you want and place on top of the potato salad.

Take the paprika and dash a little on top the salad (this is more for garnish)

C'est Tout!

For anyone who is familiar with seafood boils we have, then you know about the potatoes we put in them. If you do seafood boils the left over potatoes from it are awesome to use to make potato salad b/c they have all the flavors of the seafood…very YUMMY!

Attachments

• imagesCAJYJSBM.jpg
    imagesCAJYJSBM.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 132
  • imagesCAX2NJGK.jpg
    imagesCAX2NJGK.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 132
  • liquidboil.png
    liquidboil.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 125
CORNED BEEF STEW

So YUMMY!

There are two ways to make this: red gravy or with a roux

Red Gravey
1-lbs of corned beef
16 oz. of tomato sauce
chopped seasoning: onion, bell pepper, green onion & garlic
seasoing spice: salt/pepper, cajun season or red/cayenne pepper, garlic & onion powder.
diced potatoes (how many is up to the cook)
6 boiled eggs (optional)

cook down tomatoe sauce with chopped seasoning until it browns then throw in potatoes. ( I used canned b/c it takes less time for them to soften)

After potatoes softed throw in your meat and spice seasoning and simmer for about 30 minues and serve over rice. You may not need salt b/c corned beef is already salty

Roux:
1 heaping cooking spoon of all purpose flour
1/4 c cooking oil
1-lbs of corned beef
1-kettle fulled with water
chopped seasoning: onion, bell pepper, green onion & garlic
seasoing spice: salt/pepper, cajun season or red/cayenne pepper, garlic & onion powder.
diced potatoes (how many is up to the cook)

heat water in kettle
heat oil then thrown in flour, you may need to add more oil
constently stir roux mix until it turns dark brown then add your chopped seasoning stir til it's translusant you may want to add some hot water from you kettle before throwing in your chopped seasoning to keep from scortching the roux. Put in your potatoes until they soften. Then add your meat and stir for abt 15 minutes then slowly add water from kettle until roux mix turns into gravy. Let simmer for about 45min to an hour and serve over rice

Also this is a great dish to serve with smothered cabbage.

C'est tout

Attachments

• cornedbeef.png
    cornedbeef.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I love you!!! I love love love Cajun/Creole food... my mom always jokes that my soul belongs in Louisana. I had my roux making down when I was 18!!

Totally going to try some of your recipes this weekend.

Love reading these recipes! Now I'm craving gumbo....

growing up, my family has always made "plain potato salad" too where the potatoes are mashed up with the egg, mayo, mustard, etc. I never knew this was a Louisiana thing until I realized most people dice the potatoes and just toss it with the mayo mixture, onions, celery, and all that stuff. :biggrin: