Cabochon diamond studs?

Hi guys,

i just saw a very interesting pair of studs:
set in YG bezel and the diamonds were cabochon cut (2ct)...

The jeweller said its handmade and very rare...they were very beautiful and really unusual but i dont know if its worth the markup, because the rare cut..

Any opinions are welcome:smile:

Bag snob - I thought that too.

Plus am not very trusting of what jewelers say. Maybe they are rare because this cut, (do like it on emeralds, rubies & saphires), just doesn't do diamonds justice? Maybe it is a rare cut because they found it doesn't sell well? Are there certs on these earrings?

Only you know whether you think they are worth the price. We've all bought things that some would say was overpriced.

Last edited:
I work around diamonds and have never, ever seen a cabachon cut?? Is it possible these studs are with raw/uncut diamonds. Some designers have been making pieces with the raw diamonds.

I have seen an increasing trend in rough diamonds used in jewelry. I have not come across many cab cuts, but more often rose cuts (an antique cut that is faceted on top and flat on back) and variations of rose cuts, especially with fancy or light color semi-translucent to opaque diamond material. Typically, even if the cabs have great clarity and color they will price less than any type of fully faceted traditional cut.

Thanks everyone! I will try to make pics with blackberry next time...Yeah, the point is the sparkle...They are very light coloured but dont sparkle in the traditional way:sad:

These are not raw diamonds....2ct together, color G-H, clarity Si (there is a small viewable inclusion at the bottom part in one of them)... set in 18K YG Price 13.000EUR

Thanks everyone! I will try to make pics with blackberry next time...Yeah, the point is the sparkle...They are very light coloured but dont sparkle in the traditional way:sad:

These are not raw diamonds....2ct together, color G-H, clarity Si (there is a small viewable inclusion at the bottom part in one of them)... set in 18K YG Price 13.000EUR

I'm looking forward to see your pics! I have never seen, neither heard of cabochon cut diamonds. The lovely thing about diamonds is their sparkle, which is enhanced because of the cut. I guess it will be good to compare your studs with both traditional cut diamonds and cabochon cut (semi) precious stones like colorless quartz etc.

For this price (in combination with the cut) you should be really in love, as the resale value might be a lot less.

I can imagine that it's rare, but mainly because a jeweler will not be able to sell this easily. Most people are looking for sparkling stones when the choose diamond jewelry.;)

^^"Takes one to know one" when you use phrasing like "if it sings to you".......this is why I love this Forum so much. I feel like I've stumbled upon a long, lost family. :biggrin:

Missmarbella: The earrings sound very cool and interesting.....you're the one wearing them and the only one who needs to be happy with the purchase. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

It sounds like a nice low key way to wear diamonds but for me anyway, part of the reason I like diamonds is because they sparkle with the cut KWIM ;)

I think the greatest asset of diamonds is their sparkle. I can't imagine that a cabachon diamond would look like anything special. I do like emerald, ruby, sapphire cabs...as well as traditional cab stones (opal, moonstone, jade, etc). I guess it depends on how much you like them & the price point.

Plus am not very trusting of what jewelers say. Maybe they are rare because this cut, (do like it on emeralds, rubies & saphires), just doesn't do diamonds justice? Maybe it is a rare cut because they found it doesn't sell well? Are there certs on these earrings?
was thinking this exact thing. sounds like a sales ploy to move unwanted merchandise.

I work around diamonds and have never, ever seen a cabachon cut?? Is it possible these studs are with raw/uncut diamonds. Some designers have been making pieces with the raw diamonds.
I work around the jewelry industry too. I was also wondering if they're raw diamonds. they have been high-end trendy for the past 3 or 4 years. I think they're beautiful...usually included (flaws).

Thanks for everyone for your honest comments!
(will make pics on the weekend)

You guys are right, i need to buy what i feel comfy wearing for long term...and i absolutely do, only point am afraid, i will miss THE sparkle...will sleep one more night over before decide:smile:)))