Cabat or Andiamo? What color?

Lynnaea

Aug 12, 2019
Hello - long time lurker at PF. *wave* I am contemplating a purchase of either a medium cabat or medium andiamo soon and wondered if anyone had some insights to share -
- is the cabat easy to wear over the shoulder?
- what color works best? It seems like the choices are a bit limited right now. The fondant color in the andiamo seems like it could be the best choice but I don’t know if it would coordinate well with my wardrobe.

For context, I’m a winter complexion with pink and slight olive undertones, I wear mostly dark blues and black or gray. Brown (especially camel or British tan colors) is awful on me but brown accessories can coordinate well and for some reason gold jewelry works too. My job is in finance; I work with very wealthy people and there’s a high standard of professional dress. OTOH I have a one year old baby so I try to go for bags that can be carried on the shoulder as well as in hand, and they cannot be too delicate as I tend not to coddle anything- it needs to be able to handle some wear.

I carry a medium-ish amount of stuff and travel by car, no large amounts of walking or public transport.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lynnaea

Hi Lynnea! If you are looking for shoulder carry, I think the Andiamo may work better for you. I have a medium Cabat and will occasionally carry it on my shoulder, but it doesn't really feel like a shoulder bag. However, the Cabat is a great tote that can carry all your essentials and more.

Fondant is probably one of the cooler toned browns and a great neutral. Inkwell is also worth considering. I own an Inkwell Cassette, and it is definitely on the cooler side.

Reactions: jbags07
The Andiamo in the size you are considering will be quite a bit smaller than the cabat. The cabat is longer and wider.

The Andiamo appears to be a modern incarnation of the former Bella/Garda bag. Same shape and step function. Although the Andiamo has the hand carry strap and the center divider and pocket.

For your purposes I think the Andiamo will look better for work than the cabat. The cabat can be worn to work but it gives off a more casual vibe.

Re shoulder carry—yes technically the cabat can be worn on the shoulder but it’s a snug fit with a coat and the bag itself is very open so your things might not feel as secure. This is a good example of needing to go into a store and trying both on.

I agree with grietje and Evergreen, the Andiamo would be a better choice for a handbag. I love my Cabats but use them more as totes. To have a hands free option, Andiamo for sure. Its a beautiful bag! I have the older iteration, Garda, and its such a great bag. This ‘updated’ version is stunning with the braided handles and knot. Classic, elegant, and practical. I wish it came in Nero, that would be the best color option for you. But i do think Fondant is so pretty and will work with most outfits. Inkwell is my favorite of the available colors, but it would be limited perhaps seasonally, as grietje suggested. Not really a spring/summer color. Maybe try Fondant? Or wait to see if it will be produced in Nero.

Hi Lynnea! If you are looking for shoulder carry, I think the Andiamo may work better for you. I have a medium Cabat and will occasionally carry it on my shoulder, but it doesn't really feel like a shoulder bag. However, the Cabat is a great tote that can carry all your essentials and more.

Fondant is probably one of the cooler toned browns and a great neutral. Inkwell is also worth considering. I own an Inkwell Cassette, and it is definitely on the cooler side.
Thanks, this is excellent feedback. I keep seeing Inkwell described as a dark blue, but it reads more green in the photos. How would you describe it?

Reactions: Evergreen602
I agree with grietje and Evergreen, the Andiamo would be a better choice for a handbag. I love my Cabats but use them more as totes. To have a hands free option, Andiamo for sure. Its a beautiful bag! I have the older iteration, Garda, and its such a great bag. This ‘updated’ version is stunning with the braided handles and knot. Classic, elegant, and practical. I wish it came in Nero, that would be the best color option for you. But i do think Fondant is so pretty and will work with most outfits. Inkwell is my favorite of the available colors, but it would be limited perhaps seasonally, as grietje suggested. Not really a spring/summer color. Maybe try Fondant? Or wait to see if it will be produced in Nero.
Thank you - is Nero simply black?

Reactions: Evergreen602
Thanks, this is excellent feedback. I keep seeing Inkwell described as a dark blue, but it reads more green in the photos. How would you describe it?
Inkwell is a dark, inky teal green. It is darker and has more blue/gray in it than Raintree, which is probably the closest other color to Inkwell. It definitely reads as a green to me. I agree with grietje that you will probably benefit from trying these styles and colors in person at the store before buying.

To answer another question, Nero is BV's black. :smile:

Reactions: jbags07 and Lynnaea