Cabas Phantom Tote - Small or Medium?

Gourmetgal

Nov 13, 2014
Looking for a tote for shopping, sight-seeing, occasional shlepping and travel. I don’t work so don’t carry a laptop but I do travel with Kindle, large iPad, big noise canceling headphones, sudoku book, jewelry pouch, glasses, water bottle and usually a BV Small Disco Bag. What say the experts here regarding size of the Phantom tote? I hesitate on the large because I’m concerned about it being to deep for everyday but would the small be big enough?

On what occasions do you use this bag? I worry that I’ll wish I had the medium when traveling but as a daily shopper I worry the medium would be too cumbersome. Ideally for me, a tote should be big enough to work as my second carry-on when flying but wouldn’t be to big to carry daily when sight-seeing, shopping.

Hi! Does anyone own both sizes and would like to share pictures? I’d like to see a side by side comparison.
I recently purchased the small, but im not sure i love the size. (We dont have a Celine store in my city, so i couldnt compare.)
Thanks

Reactions: Gourmetgal
Since this is so highly requested, here are pics of mine. One is black med and the other is grey small.

I put 4 big items:
  • Sneakers
  • Cropped hooded sweatshirt
  • Big headphones
  • Prada nylon makeup bag
Both have plenty of room for small/slim things like keys, wallets, kindle, etc. so I didn't bother.

Medium
20201114_135425.jpg
20201114_135501.jpg

Small
20201114_135636.jpg

Closeup of grey color as requested. I did post other pics with grey. Just do a search with my username in this forum.
20201114_135757.jpg

On what occasions do you use this bag? I worry that I’ll wish I had the medium when traveling but as a daily shopper I worry the medium would be too cumbersome. Ideally for me, a tote should be big enough to work as my second carry-on when flying but wouldn’t be to big to carry daily when sight-seeing, shopping.
My recommendation is the medium to give you the most options. I like to cinch and tie the straps when I have less in mine, giving it more of a square feel. I think this way you can double it as a carry on. But depends what you feel most comfortable with!

Reactions: Gourmetgal
Just curious...I came across a preloved cabas in medium that is croc embossed in excellent condition. This was priced significantly less than the medium's in soft grained leather also in excellent condition. Any ideas why? Is there something that I should be aware of regarding the croc embossed?

TIA....

Love it! Do you find the croc holds it shape better/is it stiffer? Congrats :smile:

You know this is a really good question as I sort of wondered but I don’t know. I can’t assess because I got mine preloved. It would be hard for me to assess shape compared to a new one.

Also, because I don’t have the regular one to compare I wouldn’t know for sure.

However, my gut is that it would be the same because “it’s croc-embossed” rather than real croc.

Reactions: Tote Ali
You know this is a really good question as I sort of wondered but I don’t know. I can’t assess because I got mine preloved. It would be hard for me to assess shape compared to a new one.

Also, because I don’t have the regular one to compare I wouldn’t know for sure.

However, my gut is that it would be the same because “it’s croc-embossed” rather than real croc.
Thank you! Enjoy your new lovely bag

Reactions: topglamchic
I know I'm late to the game but thought I'd reply anyway. I had the same question last weekend, so I changed out of my PJs into my sweats, threw my Saint Laurent Loulou over my shoulder (trying to look somewhat respectable), and went to the Celine store at South Coast Plaza. I could tell the security guard wasn't sure whether he should let me in, but the store was empty ("because Covid," apparently), so he reluctantly opened the door. All of the employees, of course, were dressed to the nines, and I looked like I had just rolled out of bed. (I had.) However, the saleswoman who was assigned to follow me around the store couldn't have been nicer! I told her I was there to compare the small Cabas Phantom Tote to the medium, so she asked me what color and brought both sizes out for comparison. My first reaction was that the small was too small overall—but the medium was definitely too tall. If the medium had the same proportions as the small, I would have chosen the medium (because I love a very large tote), but it was only taller (by two inches), not wider or deeper. So it was more of a vertical bag, and I prefer a horizontal bag. The leather is buttery soft; the bag is super lightweight, and the suede inside is gorgeous. I love the understated elegance of the bag. I chose the small and couldn't be happier with it! I was in and out of the store in less than 15 minutes. This is my first Celine, and I'm sure it won't be my last. I'm already thinking about the same bag in Taupe.