Cabas good for college?

Yoshi1296

O.G.
Dec 29, 2012
Hello everyone!

I am an avid fan of Celine and as a result of my full ride for college my parents are allowing me to purchase the bag I desired for a long time. The Cabas.

Is it good for college? (I'm starting in September)
If so then what kind of Cabas?
And if you think a Cabas is not the right choice then what bag do you recommend?

Thank you so much in advance!!:smile::smile::smile:

I won't recommend the Cabas for college. It is not a bag where you can load up a big heavy load (SAs would say it can hold up to 5kg but if I personally would never risk it). It is also a bag that needs some internal organisation, so if you're the type that carry a lot of things, you may need a longer time finding them as the bag is deep (the vertical) and wide (the horizontal).

However, Céline has used thicker lambskin recently for the Cabas so it may hold better but I'm not risking spending a lot of money on a school bag. I would rather just use a non-designer sturdy canvas bag for school.

If you really, really must get a Céline bag for school, maybe consider the Cabas Phantom? Good luck deciding.

I won't recommend the Cabas for college. It is not a bag where you can load up a big heavy load (SAs would say it can hold up to 5kg but if I personally would never risk it). It is also a bag that needs some internal organisation, so if you're the type that carry a lot of things, you may need a longer time finding them as the bag is deep (the vertical) and wide (the horizontal).

However, Céline has used thicker lambskin recently for the Cabas so it may hold better but I'm not risking spending a lot of money on a school bag. I would rather just use a non-designer sturdy canvas bag for school.

If you really, really must get a Céline bag for school, maybe consider the Cabas Phantom? Good luck deciding.

I totally understand thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate the time and thought you put in. I think I'll get it but I won't use it for school and maybe for other stuff.

i agree with cotonblanc. maybe consider the phantom itself as an alternative (not cabas phantom - which is also an option). i use it for school & i like it
as a college student some days you have very light loads though - and others you're so swamped no bag could hold your load. so if you REALLY love the cabas you can always use it and then switch to something bigger on days with lots of books to carry.

My cabas is horizontal and I've loaded it up pretty well without a problem. Like cotonblanc said, the leather is thick and does not show wrinkles etc. I must admit it's my shlep bag and I don't take very good care of it but it looks fine to me.

I would not get a vertical one because you couldn't wear it on your shoulder. And I would get one with a dark bottom (if two colors) or a darker color. Imagine it will be on the floor, under your seat etc and will take a lot of abuse.

I think the cabas would be fine for school. the horizontal might be easier to use than the vertical in terms of getting laptops and textbooks in and out. if you typically carry a lot for school though (i know my bags got over 20lbs frequently with multiple textbooks and a laptop), i think something like the goyard st louis tote might be a better choice..it would be able to handle more weight, but again, depends on how much you typically carry to class.

I went through a similar predicament when I was starting college. I wanted a chic, in-the-know tote for classes.

However, I quickly came to learn that finding a tote that could handle multiple college textbooks, a notebook, and a MacBook Air was quite the challenge. I came to discover that having a durable bag for school was more important than who I was carrying. I settled on a Prada Nylon Tote for more rigorous days and a Goyard St. Louis for casual days.

Have you thought of a Givenchy Antigona Shopper? I've heard wonderful things about them. They can handle quite a bit of weight.

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 12.24.17 PM.png

Also: A more pedestrian brand, but Coach has a beautiful line of luxury bags in their Capsule Collection. The North/South Town Tote is very similar to a Cabas, except that it can certainly handle a lot more weight and it has thicker (still light) leather.

N/S Town Tote

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 12.27.56 PM.png

Large E/W Town Tote

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 12.27.41 PM.png

I went through a similar predicament when I was starting college. I wanted a chic, in-the-know tote for classes.

However, I quickly came to learn that finding a tote that could handle multiple college textbooks, a notebook, and a MacBook Air was quite the challenge. I came to discover that having a durable bag for school was more important than who I was carrying. I settled on a Prada Nylon Tote for more rigorous days and a Goyard St. Louis for casual days.

Have you thought of a Givenchy Antigona Shopper? I've heard wonderful things about them. They can handle quite a bit of weight.

View attachment 2630680

Also: A more pedestrian brand, but Coach has a beautiful line of luxury bags in their Capsule Collection. The North/South Town Tote is very similar to a Cabas, except that it can certainly handle a lot more weight and it has thicker (still light) leather.

N/S Town Tote

View attachment 2630686

Large E/W Town Tote

View attachment 2630687

Thank you so much! I really think I'm gonna get the Celine Cabas just because:graucho: and the coach bag seems like a good idea since its cheaper and I don't have to worry about it getting ruined. I just don't know if the coach tote would look nice on me since I'm a guy. That Givenchy Antigona shopper is :loveeyes:
I have A LOT to think about.
Thank you so much for you help though!!:heart:

Thank you so much! I really think I'm gonna get the Celine Cabas just because:graucho: and the coach bag seems like a good idea since its cheaper and I don't have to worry about it getting ruined. I just don't know if the coach tote would look nice on me since I'm a guy. That Givenchy Antigona shopper is :loveeyes:
I have A LOT to think about.
Thank you so much for you help though!!:heart:

Theres a lot of Coach bags for men and they are all very manly and nice looking. If I go to school, it would be nice to have a reasonable priced, structured bag so that it's easy to look for things. Also something that I can bang around. Lambskin sadly will look bad with scratches and cow hide gets better with usage.