Cabas Chyc and Precipitation? How Does it Hold Up?

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Hi ladies,

I'm totally new to YSL. I've been more of a Bal addict for a couple years.

I just ordered a red mini cabas chyc and would like to know how this bag does in precipitation. I am basically OCD with my bags. So, not like I will be out in a downpour with this or any of my other bags. However, I would like to know if by chance I'm caught in snow or a drizzle, how will the bag do?

Thank you!

To be honest, I ALWAYS baby my bags. My bags are never on the floor even at the cleanest public place. Most people over load their bags and the handle might not be able to carry the weight. I carry light things and my baby is either sitting next to me or on my lap. I had never used my bag during raining season ( So not sure on how it would survive ) but had gone shopping with it twice when it snowed.
All i had to do was clean it with a dry cloth, Leave it at the coffee table so it could be air out and put it back in my closest.
I think you can fairly treat your bag same way you treat your other bags, just don't abuse her because she might not be a happy bunny:smile:
And my fav colour is RED. You wont regret it. Congrats:smile:

To be honest, I ALWAYS baby my bags. My bags are never on the floor even at the cleanest public place. Most people over load their bags and the handle might not be able to carry the weight. I carry light things and my baby is either sitting next to me or on my lap. I had never used my bag during raining season ( So not sure on how it would survive ) but had gone shopping with it twice when it snowed.
All i had to do was clean it with a dry cloth, Leave it at the coffee table so it could be air out and put it back in my closest.
I think you can fairly treat your bag same way you treat your other bags, just don't abuse her because she might not be a happy bunny:smile:
And my fav colour is RED. You wont regret it. Congrats:smile:

Thank you. I'm equally careful. Pretty OCD actually. I'm glad she atleast did well the two times she saw snow. I live in about 5 months of winter.

Hmm, Alex Spoils Me spilled water on her cc and hopefully she will chime in on any follow ups to her situation.

I'm not sure what leather is on your ccs but my easy has crest leather (bubbly) and it can go in the rain, in the snow...haven't tried it on the beach though :P

Anyway, I think a little pretreatment will limit any rain concerns.

Congrats to all you ladies and your new Cabas Chyc bags. And welcome to YSL (that does not go for you, Unoma! You are already a YSL doll :P)

I have a medium cabas in burgundy and I do NOT baby my bags- I set it on the floor, carry it in crowds, do not wipe it down after use, and only store it in its dust bag intermittently. I carried it briefly during a light shower and it looks fine. I did not pretreat the leather.

Hmm, Alex Spoils Me spilled water on her cc and hopefully she will chime in on any follow ups to her situation.

I'm not sure what leather is on your ccs but my easy has crest leather (bubbly) and it can go in the rain, in the snow...haven't tried it on the beach though :P

Anyway, I think a little pretreatment will limit any rain concerns.

Congrats to all you ladies and your new Cabas Chyc bags. And welcome to YSL (that does not go for you, Unoma! You are already a YSL doll :P)

CC in Crest!? Where when where can I get?! Do you have pix!? ! =D

I have a large beige chyc. The leather has become slouchier then when I first got it. But I like it that way.

I did not pre-treat the leather despite it being a light color. The first day I carried it I spilt coffee on it (classic clumsy me), I just wiped it off and it didn't even leave a stain! However, I've had the bag for almost a year and if you look closely the bag does look a bit dirty but I think that has to do with the light color. I do not baby my bags. I leave them on the floor etc.

I have a couple ysl bags and I really like the quality of their leather and craftsmanship. I hope you'll enjoy your mini cabas, please post pictures!

Hello. I just put some info about how to prevent from water at 'Cleaning and Protectin' thread.

My first design large CC in fondant got little water spots mark on the front and bottom. The front spots disappeared. I think fondant looks like vintage coloring which is camouflage the spot marks. But bottom spot marks are obvious. I didn't expect that the bag easily get water damages... I should have used waterproof 'Nanopro' spray before I used the bag...(´・_・`)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,297
Hello. Yes, as Aluxe mentioned, I managed to get my bag the (backside) very close to a bag the of ice which I think started to thaw, causing the plastic bag to become wet. They we near one another no more than 15 seconds - car to kitchen - and the water marks were very dark.

I took everything out and had it sit in front of a fan blowing on full blast for over 24 hours.The nest day the marks faded but not completely.

The next day I tried to used some leather cleaners and wipes that I have for my other lux bags - in inconspicuous areas (the bottom corner) and nothing. Idiot me, I laid my bag down on it's front side not knowing a leather wipe was on the couch. When I picked up my bag - to my horror, the wipe left wet marks. I screamed. I tried to convince myself that since it was a leather cleaner it should be gone after a few hours. WRONG!!!!

It left blotchy stains just under the gold Y metal piece.

Get this - it was purchased in June as my hubby was concerned that my color, Poppy, was going to be discontinued so he wanted to make sure I had it for my birthday/Christmas pressie. It was opened once when we received it and then but back in it's box and locked away until x-mas morning. I carried it for 2 1/2 weeks!!!!! and this happened. It does say on the tag that YSL recommends putting nothing on the leather. I don't know how to feel about this.

Almost done. Called NM to ask about getting her rehabbed and they said yes, she needs to come in, paperwork filled out, and off she goes. The spa will call with their recommendation and fees. Ok fine. I called again to ask about having to bringing it in versus sending it to the spa directly. Talked to a well informed person in the bags dept. and after chatting, she asks me when it was purchased. I told her the above story and she goes "oh, if it was bought within a year - all services are free - just bring a receipt".

I was so happy, I needed a couch to jump on.

My Poppy went off to the spa today :yahoo:. Ten weeks or so she will be back on my loving arm. Or maybe not as she if finicky. AND YES, I baby all my girls. They cost too damn much not to. I was and still dumbfounded on how it just sucked up the moisture from the bag of ice.

Sorry for the length but the whole story may help someone.

Here is a pic of the back that I posted in the treatment thread. Sorry. Don't have one of the front.

image-2538532438.jpg

Hello. Yes, as Aluxe mentioned, I managed to get my bag the (backside) very close to a bag the of ice which I think started to thaw, causing the plastic bag to become wet. They we near one another no more than 15 seconds - car to kitchen - and the water marks were very dark.

I took everything out and had it sit in front of a fan blowing on full blast for over 24 hours.The nest day the marks faded but not completely.

The next day I tried to used some leather cleaners and wipes that I have for my other lux bags - in inconspicuous areas (the bottom corner) and nothing. Idiot me, I laid my bag down on it's front side not knowing a leather wipe was on the couch. When I picked up my bag - to my horror, the wipe left wet marks. I screamed. I tried to convince myself that since it was a leather cleaner it should be gone after a few hours. WRONG!!!!

It left blotchy stains just under the gold Y metal piece.

Get this - it was purchased in June as my hubby was concerned that my color, Poppy, was going to be discontinued so he wanted to make sure I had it for my birthday/Christmas pressie. It was opened once when we received it and then but back in it's box and locked away until x-mas morning. I carried it for 2 1/2 weeks!!!!! and this happened. It does say on the tag that YSL recommends putting nothing on the leather. I don't know how to feel about this.

Almost done. Called NM to ask about getting her rehabbed and they said yes, she needs to come in, paperwork filled out, and off she goes. The spa will call with their recommendation and fees. Ok fine. I called again to ask about having to bringing it in versus sending it to the spa directly. Talked to a well informed person in the bags dept. and after chatting, she asks me when it was purchased. I told her the above story and she goes "oh, if it was bought within a year - all services are free - just bring a receipt".

I was so happy, I needed a couch to jump on.

My Poppy went off to the spa today :yahoo:. Ten weeks or so she will be back on my loving arm. Or maybe not as she if finicky. AND YES, I baby all my girls. They cost too damn much not to. I was and still dumbfounded on how it just sucked up the moisture from the bag of ice.

Sorry for the length but the whole story may help someone.

Here is a pic of the back that I posted in the treatment thread. Sorry. Don't have one of the front.

View attachment 2021195

Thank you for sharing. How devastating! I would be a complete wreck as I baby my bags...well, I'm practically OCD with them. It's like a religion b/c YES, they cost too damned much to not take exceptional care of them.

I hope she comes back great from the spa. Thank goodness you have this chance to improve her at no cost.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I know I will certainly spray some kind of protectant. Seems the CC leather is quite porous and red just shows darkening way too easily.

Thank you for sharing. How devastating! I would be a complete wreck as I baby my bags...well, I'm practically OCD with them. It's like a religion b/c YES, they cost too damned much to not take exceptional care of them.

I hope she comes back great from the spa. Thank goodness you have this chance to improve her at no cost.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I know I will certainly spray some kind of protectant. Seems the CC leather is quite porous and red just shows darkening way too easily.

Please let me know what you plan on using bc as soon as she is back, she's getting the hose. I know it reads not to on the tag but I just can't take the chance again. I mean, I f-ing yelled :censor: and and came thisclose to :cry:in my house at what happened to her.

The SA at NMs was a doll and said the spa should have no problem with rehabbing her, phew. I can't wait to get back.

Also, I was considering keeping the whole fiasco on the down-low from my hubby but we are way to open with each other. He took the news so warmly. Love him. And now that it's free to fix, he is even warmer/happier, lol.

Please let me know what you plan on using bc as soon as she is back, she's getting the hose. I know it reads not to on the tag but I just can't take the chance again. I mean, I f-ing yelled :censor: and and came thisclose to :cry:in my house at what happened to her.

The SA at NMs was a doll and said the spa should have no problem with rehabbing her, phew. I can't wait to get back.

Also, I was considering keeping the whole fiasco on the down-low from my hubby but we are way to open with each other. He took the news so warmly. Love him. And now that it's free to fix, he is even warmer/happier, lol.

LOL! Sounds like you have a great situation with your DH. what a doll for getting you the CC in the first place, so that you don't miss out on such a fab color! Girl, right there with you. I would have gone F-ing crazy with that whole situation!

I will have to really examine the CC leather and think of which one to use. May have to seriously do a test on the bottom. I have Colonil and Apple's rain guard. Really love the Apple brand rain guard for my Bals' handles, actually. I don't spray the bodies of the Bals cuz they have glazing and I have darker colors. I have a Bal pal that swears by Colonil and sprays hers entirely! She says it doesn't really show any difference in texture/color.

LOL! Sounds like you have a great situation with your DH. what a doll for getting you the CC in the first place, so that you don't miss out on such a fab color! Girl, right there with you. I would have gone F-ing crazy with that whole situation!

I will have to really examine the CC leather and think of which one to use. May have to seriously do a test on the bottom. I have Colonil and Apple's rain guard. Really love the Apple brand rain guard for my Bals' handles, actually. I don't spray the bodies of the Bals cuz they have glazing and I have darker colors. I have a Bal pal that swears by Colonil and sprays hers entirely! She says it doesn't really show any difference in texture/color.

Yes, Vesna, a member here, says this brands is amazing on her YSL's. Need to go off and check :broom: