Bye Bye Romeo

Aug 22, 2010
Worse day after Christmas evah! Today we had to put our Pomeranian Romeo to sleep :cry: He'd been in heart failure and on meds for a few months. He was doing well but then he took a turn for the worse this week. It became clear that it was his time and while the doctor offered to try more meds Romeo was telling us no more. I'm so sad I kept thinking we'll take him to the vet and then he'll be fine but then on Christmas I realized that no he isn't fine and that it was time to say goodbye. His breathing was bad and he wasn't his smiley self. We have another dog but I feel bad for him too because now he's alone. They were buddies! We had Romeo for 13 years he was so smart and so very naughty. He loved car rides, rolling in the snow, and food. Oh he loved cheese even on christmas he was so weak but mustered all he had to try and steal my pork sandwich! His last meal was a bacon and cheese biscuit. I could tell he enjoyed it. Our first long term family pet. Oh man I loved him so much and am so sad that he's gone. I love you Romeo!

Honestly putting him to sleep gave me a moment of relief it was so hard watching him look so sad and uncomfortable for his last days when they gave him the sedative it was the 1st all weekend that he looked comfortable and relaxed. My said we'd get another dog in the spring but this morning she said she can't wait that long. Romeo was more her dog and she said the morning just wasn't the same without him waiting by her bed for his morning head rub. There is just something about a dog he looked at her with the most adoring and loving eyes. It's been a rough couple months my Grandaddy passed in November and I think Romeo was waiting to make sure that mommy was alright before he left us. We're gonna start looking this week. He was one of a kind and irreplaceable but I hope we can another dog to love.

You will never replace Romeo! He will always hold a special place in your hearts. I have lost so many kitties, and each was special in their own way.
The animal shelters/rescues are full of loving animals---IMO there is no greater tribute to one who has crossed over than saving a life in their name. :hbeat: