BV in the rain?

I have Colonil waterstop spray, which some members have used on their BV with success. My BV SA said that for the first 6 months all BV's need no treatment as they have a wax impregnate on the leather, when this wears off you can use a light wax based leather lotion to treat the bags. Personally I try to avoid taking my BV's in the rain, and have a coated canvas Chanel Paris Biarritz hobo for rainy days.

I was caught in the rain on Friday with my BV messenger bag. It is smooth leather with wooven leather only in the gussets. I was really afraid that it would spot, but it dried without a mark and looking as good as ever!

I won't even carry them if it's overcast, i.e. a chance of rain. haha.

Well, here in Vancouver that would mean that a BV could only come out maybe, say, three or four days a year! Maybe not quite that bad, but most days there is at least some chance of rain... I think the plastic bag for emergencies idea is going to be the only way I can safely take out my BVs regularly.

Sum, I always thought that venetas were made in nappa umbria and other styles like the sloane and roma were made of nappa, but the more I read on tPF, it seems that certain colors, not styles, are made in certain leathers. So my answer is...I don't know! I know ms piggy has a limo veneta so maybe she can tell us if hers is nappa or nappa umbria.

I spilled coffee on my Parma wallet today. One heart attack and 2 hours later, I pulled the wallet out of my bag where I had hidden it (I was too sick to look at it) and---nothing! There is absolutely no mark left. I treated it once when I bought it a few months back and that's it. Phew!

Do SAs actually say not to carry this bag in the rain? I haven't used my large veneta yet, but I've carried my Balenciaga bags in a lot of rain (I'm also in Vancouver!) and they've been just fine. I'm scared now!

wow, doubtfulguest, that's impressive resilience indeed! i'm suitably impressed...

since i live in singapore i asked the sa in the bv store about rain protection for the intrecciato leather, and she told me not to worry, and to just make sure i wipe dry if i'm ever caught in the rain. she mentioned that bv offers free conditioning services and if i bring in in every 6 months to a year for them to condition the leather i should not have cause to worry about deterioration.

I prefer not to use BV either if there's a chance of rain. I did buy the Collonil spray, but I haven't had the opportunity yet to see if it would hold up against the rain.