BV - examine your purchase before you pay!

starburst_

Apr 4, 2011
Heya everyone, I'd like to share my experience(s) with BV purchases. It's probably the best time as a sale is going on at the moment and the last thing you want is 2 weeks after you get the bag, something falls out and you need to wait for it to be repaired.

Basically I have bought 3 bags in total but that was the result of buy and exchanging x3...so I truly own only one bag, an ebano montaigne.

The bags are so beautiful and of course you pay the price...so I was expecting the bags to be in mint condition but...

Bag 1: Chene Large Veneta - I love the color! And it's no surprise that its almost sold out everywhere. However, I spotted ink stains on my bag even before I could use it. It reminded me that I could not bear see wear and tear on a bag of light color. Back to the shop it went. Luckily it was a dept store purchase in the US so the returns policy was pretty good. I still kick myself because I returned the item AFTER the price hike...sigh...that will be another story for another day.

Bag 2: Ebano Montaigne - Love the functionality and adjustable straps and flaps. I bought this in the BV store in Hong Kong and I must comment that their returns policy is not very good compared to the US. 2 weeks and ONE exchange allowed only, 6 month guarantee (not one year!). But the bag is cheaper than in the US anyway. I tried the bag in the store and decided to purchase and was too complacent in not asking to scrutinize my bag before paying. I also noticed that they wrapped up the bag very quickly so it did not incur to me to ask them to unwrap it to check. As a result, the SA slipped in a 2009 Montaigne (you can see it on the BV US website, it's still there), obviously the show piece, which showed some wear (metal feet paint coming off, some fraying, mirror had 2 specks of paint, missing the usual BV certification that comes in a mini envelope, lock leather was coming off at edges). She did not tell me that they have a 2010 Montaigne, which is slightly different (metal hardware in a darker shade, inside lining in grey instead of the original pale yellow, zip compartment lining in pig skin instead of nylon).

Bag 3: I returned to another BV store in HK to exchange the bag. They brought me a similar 2009 Montaigne to exchange. Even before I could give it a thorough inspection, one of the metal feet came off and the SA went "oops!". I was trying not to laugh when I handed the bag back to her. The SA took some time to process the exchange and a 2010 Montaigne appeared. I was relieved and really made sure the bag was in a good condition.

For what we are paying, I would expect bags to be in a better condition. Would you tend to agree with me? Please examine your purchase before paying!

I think warranty length has something to do with the exchange/warranty policy in the country of purchase. And why I think HK has a relatively poor warranty policy could be due to many Chinese tourists buying from there, and they probably wouldn't even care if there were no guarantee :P

Sorry you have had bad experiences, although I am not sure I see how your first experience with the ink stains has anything to do with BV quality - clearly someone did a return (as you say, their returns policy was good) and had used the bag before doing so.

I think you are right to point out that we should carefully inspect any purchase to ensure that the bag has not been damaged or show wear and tear from being out on the floor for two years. Glad you were able to get it sorted and get a pristine Montaigne in the end.

starburst I agree with you totally. I might seem to be the pickiest out of all the customer BV had in HK, but I guess you have to be happy for anything you buy.
Last year, I nearly bought a mini paille cabat (I'm obsessed about mini cabat), until I notice a long - of what it seems to be a nail- scratch on the handle which cuts open the skin.
I'm still kicking myself for not inspecting the other stock they have because I didn't have time, but I guess, it was the right decision to forego defected goods.
They said all mini cabat stock have been sold, I just wonder who bought that defected one and what did she/he do with it first? Get it repaired? Sent to Italy, wait for 3 months (or more) to get it back?

I am sorry you had such a bad experience.
the little card inside the envelope is a care card and they do come fromthe factory with it but the SA's have the cards available and can certainly insert them into the bag. diffferent things have different care cards. There is a standard one for lambskin, one for different skins, shoes, etc.
Unfortunately the Icon Bags and colors that are produced year in year out. If they don't get sold they hang until they do.
Not just in BV but with anything, I don't care if it cost a billion or a penny you should always inspect everything you buy to make sure it is in acceptable conditon. People that shop are not always gentle with things.

starburst I agree with you totally. I might seem to be the pickiest out of all the customer BV had in HK, but I guess you have to be happy for anything you buy.
Last year, I nearly bought a mini paille cabat (I'm obsessed about mini cabat), until I notice a long - of what it seems to be a nail- scratch on the handle which cuts open the skin.
I'm still kicking myself for not inspecting the other stock they have because I didn't have time, but I guess, it was the right decision to forego defected goods.
They said all mini cabat stock have been sold, I just wonder who bought that defected one and what did she/he do with it first? Get it repaired? Sent to Italy, wait for 3 months (or more) to get it back?

Hi BagEssence, I guess you and I are one of few picky BV customers in HK and you gotta be picky cuz of the 6 month guarantee! I'm wondering how your bags have held out the test of time. You seem to be like me...not wanting dear bags to touch the floor...every thought of getting a portable bag hanger to use while you're dining out?
I'm also a bit puzzled as to why the SAs don't quality check the bags before presenting them to you for purchase. When I'm bought $100 bags I never once had an issue with quality after giving them a very cursory once over. It seems that for BV it is harder to inspect, given the detailed weaving...it's like I must look at all the weavings from top to bottom, then inspect all the buckles, the zips and handle all while the SA is twiddling her thumb and staring at me. Ooops...that sounds a bit paranoid...

I'm also a bit puzzled as to why the SAs don't quality check the bags before presenting them to you for purchase. When I'm bought $100 bags I never once had an issue with quality after giving them a very cursory once over. It seems that for BV it is harder to inspect, given the detailed weaving...it's like I must look at all the weavings from top to bottom, then inspect all the buckles, the zips and handle all while the SA is twiddling her thumb and staring at me. Ooops...that sounds a bit paranoid...

I think sometimes, they don't want to keep you waiting and they probably expect you to inspect it anyway. I know I definitely inspect before I buy (I'm from HK too; you are definitely not alone in your bag inspections!). And plus, they probably have to try and get as much inventory out as possible.

It goes without saying that all items especially high end designer goods should be thoroughly inspected before purchase. I am sorry for your bad experience. It can sometimes feel awkward examining in the shop but its your $$$$ and you need to be sure before you buy. I check all goods thoroughly before buying.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Hong Kong/China and many other countries, Asian and European alike, in general do not have the type of return policies that we see in the US. The fact that they allow return at all sometimes surprises me. Luckily I haven't had any issues with BV from the HK boutiques:smile:

I have to say I have been guilty of not inspecting bags in the store before purchase but they definitely get a thorough looking over once I'm home.

I didn't know they changed the Montaigne in 2010. Was it just the hardware and lining or did they change other things too? Would you mind posting pictures of your 2010 bag - a direct shot of the ends (where the lock is) and the sides?

Hi BagEssence, I guess you and I are one of few picky BV customers in HK and you gotta be picky cuz of the 6 month guarantee! I'm wondering how your bags have held out the test of time. You seem to be like me...not wanting dear bags to touch the floor...every thought of getting a portable bag hanger to use while you're dining out?

LOL, I do have one of those portable hanger, but can't hold the mini copper specchio cabat, it's too heavy for the dainty hanger. Too big to be put on the lap, so back to school days, put it behind me, LOL. That's why my butt shouldn't get any bigger than now or there'll be no space to spare for my bags. LOL.

Guess that's why I tend to buy clutches nowadays, it takes less time to inspect. They do cost just around the same though. The last experience I had when buying the knot was that, I noticed one side of the knot was more convex than the other (literally just flat). I asked the SA to check to other BV if it's all the same. They did make the call, but they said the other 2 are also display items and had even more defects (one didn't close properly and the other one had a scratch).
Oh well, so now the flat side is the back, and the convex side is the front. I thought it's better than having a scratch or a knot that doesn't close properly.

I agree with you though, some of the SA can have this "bland/bored" look on their face while you're inspecting the goods. That is really annoying, but some are quite nice, perhaps it's language barrier. OR....LOL, we're just paranoid.....

OMG, i bought my 1st BV bag from HK Tsim Sha Tsui store. I like one of the guy SA there. Very nice. I am very sure to ask my SA for a BN piece as I am just not okay with Display piece. I saw something on the window display, ask them to take out and they have one new piece in the store. And there i went purchasing it after a thorough check..

I have to say I have been guilty of not inspecting bags in the store before purchase but they definitely get a thorough looking over once I'm home.

I didn't know they changed the Montaigne in 2010. Was it just the hardware and lining or did they change other things too? Would you mind posting pictures of your 2010 bag - a direct shot of the ends (where the lock is) and the sides?

Photos here...!
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...cciato-Woven-Leather-Bag/5938050/product.html

GRAB IT BEFORE IT IS GOING going going....GONE!
Spent HKD 18,880 on it! Should have waited...but postage is going to be a challenge...