BV Color Matching Issues

ueynah

H Fanatic
O.G.
Feb 26, 2009
Hi:

pardon me if this has been asked but I did a search but could not find anything issues relating to this.

i've recently looked at two men's tote bags, one in white calf leather and the other in magdascar croc. for this particular model, the tote bag consists of 4 panels with the croc version "paneled" together using BV's trademark zigzag pattern and the normal version just being stitched together.

however, in both instances, i've noticed that the colors of the 4 panels do NOT even match! with the white tote, on one side, the white matches evenly while on the other side, it looks like a two tone white tote bag! frankly, i was flabbergasted when i saw it. with the croc bag (priced around USD 25,000), due to the croc scales, it is less noticeable but definitely not up to what i would expect from BV.

have any of you noticed this? am i being too picky? or is this, according to the lovely SA, that leather is natural and thus subject to dye lot difference!? :confused1:

i think your SA is right. if you want exact matching panels, perhaps you should look at LV or a gucci or chanel. part of what is an attraction for bv - to me anyways - is the natural dyes and therefore the variation. i suppose if it is really blatant that might be a turn off, but otherwise i like the normal variations in dyes.

Last edited:
Completely agree with doloresmia. I like that the leather has color variations due to the nature of the materials. Even when you use the same dye lot on natural materials, the saturation will be different.

With the croc tote, the artisan that makes the bag uses the signature zig-zag pattern to connect the different panels, including matching the scales as close as possible using the different panels. Of course there will be color variations - but that is the beauty of BV - it looks vintage and worn in.

I don't mind the variation--the quality of material is tops and there will be differences.

It reminds me of the 2 times we built a kitchen from scratch--we ordered cherry cabinets and anyone who has cherry wood knows what a wide variation there will be in color. Personally it's one of the things I love most--the range from light to medium to dark.

i was in BH BV today and was playing with a noce croc cabat (JUST PLAYING, sadly).... the SA showed me the variations in the pouch inside. she said this is deliberately done to bring out the beauty of the croc.

thanks for all the feedback. i didn't think about variation in the same hand dye lot but it is good to know!

i am not quite sure i agree with the vintage look as with the white tote, it is NOT going for a vintage look with variation in the same panel but rather looks like two evenly color panels in two different tones of white (joined in the middle) which to me is off putting, unfortunately.

does anyone know how does the dying process of BV compares to Hermes? I don't seem to see the same problem on Hermes bag as much. i thought they use the same source for leather.