BV black sloane vs. BV Black Montaigne

evs

O.G.
Nov 30, 2008
I can't decide which one I should get as my FIRST BV!!

Can the Montaigne be worn on the shoulder?

I need your opinion if price is of no concern. I want to decide strictly by characteristics.

Thanks in advance!

Both are beautiful. The Montaigne is really more of an arm carry bag. The Sloane can be worn on the arm but looks best on the shoulder IMHO. Some are bothered by the extra leather winds up under the arm because the Sloane has two flaps that fold over on top to close. It's really worth doing a search on this forum to read people's likes and dislikes and to see both bags on celebs or TPF members. I think of the Montaigne as more refined, elegant and the Sloane as softly slouchy. The Montaigne isn't flattering on me but the Sloane is.

The Sloane is a wonderful bag and I wish it would have worked out for me. I was not able to wear it comfy on the shoulder. If you're able to try before buying, I would recommend it. It may work for you.

I have the Montaigne, and I have to carry that one on my arm. It doesn't fit over my shoulder.

Sloane and montaigne are two dictintive styles. You might want to think about which fits your lifestyle better. I have two sloanes and love them very much. The sloane though is not the most user friendly because of its double flap opening. I have to have it sit so as to open the flaps and retrieve things. It's best if you can try theses two bags in person.

check the color section, night is a dark dark blue, almost black (like indigo for hermes) and ferro is more iron and has a bit of a sparkle to the color. hard to describe, you just have to look at the pix. ferro is delicious.

I looked at the night sloane In real life and it looks black to me I don't see the blue shade at all! Also NM describes "night" as black

I checked the color section and there and there is no mention of the "night" color

Last edited:
I looked at the night sloane In real life and it looks black to me I don't see the blue shade at all! Also NM describes "night" as black

I checked the color section and there and there is no mention of the "night" color
The color code of NM's is 1000; i.e. black
The color code of BV web is 4030.

Totally different bags, I have an ottone sloane and really like it, I'm not bothered by the flaps and getting in and out. I'm not as familiar with the montaigne..thats Bookermoose's bag.

I love the Montaigne because I don't usually carry a lot of stuff but it holds even the few things I carry without looking empty and silly, and yet also holds a lot more when I do need to carry more for some reason. I love that it is just structured enough to wear with business suits, yet also slouchy enough that I don't feel silly carrying it when dressed casually. I like having the zipper for security, but I also like the way it hangs when the zipper is open - it doesn't gape and yet is easy to get into and out of. It is great carried by hand or on the crook of my arm, and if I really need to have both hands free I can also (just) fit it over my shoulder - it isn't ideal but does the trick for a bit when absolutely necessary.

The color code of NM's is 1000; i.e. black
The color code of BV web is 4030.

I have NM's Sloane in Night (luuuuurve it). The color code is 1108. Bryan from Bottega Veneta described Night as blue grey in comparing to Ferro in another thread. It's not so much blue to me as a deep dark charcoal or soft black. It is matte, matte, matte.