Buying Vintage/Preloved Louis

Rani1

Jun 4, 2020
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for buying Vintage Louis Vuitton online. I know eBay Japanese sellers are the best bet, but what kind of condition should I stay away from ?

Also I'm hoping to buy a preloved spontini, excellent condition except a minor crack in the handle, going for about $500 CAD. Im not sure how much they usually go for on the preloved market, but I haven't see many at that price. Is it a red flag ?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

I like to go on YouTube and watch videos. You can also post the link to the ebay listing and have it authenticated here in the authentication forum.

I prefer my items be listed in very good condition. I'd also make sure there were no cracks in the canvas before buying.

Thanks! I'll do that.
Also, I know that cracked canvas is pretty much disaster, but does the same go for handles ? The one I'm looking at has a minor crack in the handle it says but otherwise in decent condition should I avoid it ?

I've become a bit hooked on buying vintage LV bags from eBay; I've been pleased with almost everything I've purchased, and those 2 or 3 bags I haven't loved, I've returned. To protect yourself, I'd recommend that you only purchase from sellers who have free 30 or 60 day returns: to return a medium size bag to Japan via the USPO (and perhaps Canada is similar?) can cost about $70, which can be a substantial fraction of the cost of a vintage bag. (There may be cheaper ways to do it, but it seems important to have a tracking number and insurance.) . A cracked handle doesn't sound too bad--and my understanding is that LV could replace it--if there are no cracks in the canvas or signs (for example, a non-original rivet) that someone else has worked on the bag.

My favorite of the Japanese resellers has been Japan Monoshare: the bags arrive quickly, and the returns are easy. They seem to have an office in California, which simplifies things for US buyers. I've also purchased some bags from Boom2hanten, including my favorite used bag ever: an Amazonia Garden Party in gorgeous condition for about $250. Communication with them has sometimes been a bit difficult, and they sent the wrong bag last time around. I returned it to them and eventually got the right one, but now they've blocked my bids on eBay because I've returned too many bags to them: a total of three, including the one they asked me to return. I tell that story not to complain about them--shipping is expensive; I do understand--but to note that even companies that offer free returns seem not to offer an infinite number of them.

I hope that helps! Good luck with the spontini!