Buying tax free or locally?

vcaloverrrrr

Sep 21, 2020
Hello all! In a tiny dilemma atm...

My SA just told me she managed to source a signature perlee in my size just for me, and it would arrive in a couple days. (She even said it’s “the only one in Singapore”!!!!) I have already bought a 5 motif bracelet and a pendant last month before the increase, but just wanted to gather some thoughts on whether it’s worth it to build the relationship with the local SA or to save the money and buy overseas where it’s tax free?

Hello all! In a tiny dilemma atm...

My SA just told me she managed to source a signature perlee in my size just for me, and it would arrive in a couple days. (She even said it’s “the only one in Singapore”!!!!) I have already bought a 5 motif bracelet and a pendant last month before the increase, but just wanted to gather some thoughts on whether it’s worth it to build the relationship with the local SA or to save the money and buy overseas where it’s tax free?

When do you expect to go overseas? Do you think there might be another price increase before then? What's the price difference between the tax free and buying locally?

Compared to Hermes or other brands, I don't think it's as important to "build a relationship" with your VCA SA, at least I personally don't think so. There aren't that many rare pieces that you might miss out on if your SA doesn't save one for you. Local SAs do give gifts and stuff, like books or candles, but not all SAs do so it's a gamble there too. I could be wrong though, and if I am, please let me know.

My vote is to go tax free and save the money. As nice as the gifts a good SA may give are (which is not guaranteed in the first place!), it is possible to buy them online through various sources (e.g. VCA coffee books on Amazon).

I tend to value the item and money over relationships during shopping in all honesty. It means I don't have SA loyalty guilt, and since my purchases are very vanilla and easy to source, I don't see the need to build one in the first place. So all in all it depends on what you value more!

Reactions: etudes and Mjxxsyd
My vote is to go tax free and save the money. As nice as the gifts a good SA may give are (which is not guaranteed in the first place!), it is possible to buy them online through various sources (e.g. VCA coffee books on Amazon).

I tend to value the item and money over relationships during shopping in all honesty. It means I don't have SA loyalty guilt, and since my purchases are very vanilla and easy to source, I don't see the need to build one in the first place. So all in all it depends on what you value more!
Some countries SAs are more generous than others too, like in the US, I've seen people say they get a gift from their SA EVERY time they go to the store, even if they don't buy anything, but other countries you need to be a repeat buyer to get a gift. One lady in the VCA FB group posted her collection of 6+ candles and 5+ books, among other things.

I've been pretty lucky that I've bought one thing from them and got two books (one was offered to me, one was sent to me by head office in a random mailer), and I just went back to the store with my mom where she bought something, and we received two more books (she got one in Chinese and I got an English one).

Thanks all for your feedback! Unless travel isn't coming back for years, I can wait to buy, since I just got 2 pieces. My first vacation after this would probably be Australia :angel:

I've read in the other threads that SAs in Singapore don't really send stuff or bother with building relationships, so maybe saving on tax would be the better option.

Thank you all again!

Thanks all for your feedback! Unless travel isn't coming back for years, I can wait to buy, since I just got 2 pieces. My first vacation after this would probably be Australia :angel:

I've read in the other threads that SAs in Singapore don't really send stuff or bother with building relationships, so maybe saving on tax would be the better option.

Thank you all again!

I am from Singapore and very new to VCA. My SA gave me something for my birthday when I went to collect my adjusted bracelet (first purchase). I received a coffee table book in mail too. She also went the extra mile to get whatever watches I said I am interested to see. There was no pressure to buy.

I guess it also depends on the SA?

I do agree that there is no need to intentionally buy something just to build relationship. I am glad that I don’t have to do so as the idea of building relationship kind of puts me off.

Last edited:
Reactions: pinkrose398
I personally would save the money and buy elsewhere. It is what I do now. I previously lived in a high tax and duty country so it was cheapest to buy locally versus importing in. But now I live in a duty and tax friendly place so I buy VCA where ever it is cheapest. I am not into many limited produced pieces and I am too unimportant at my current home boutiques to get anything highly limited. I don’t need gifts either, though I have gotten gifts even with oversea purchases.