Buying second-hand designer jewelry?

joseybird

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
I'm quite new to buying jewelry, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I like the idea of buying designer jewelry second-hand, especially silver jewelry, but I'm very wary of purchasing jewelry on ebay or other places online due to the prevalence of fakes. I don't have any second-hand jewelry stores nearby, so online shopping is really my only option.

I'd especially like to purchase some second-hand silver Tiffany jewelry, as it tends to be much cheaper thsn retail, but I understand that there are tons of Tiffany fakes out there.

Does anyone know of any reputable second-hand jewelry sellers, or any particular types of jewelry that are rarely faked? (For example, I wonder if the jade Tiffany key pendants I see on ebay are likely to be fake.) Thanks!

I have bought several pieces of silver Tiffany jewelry second hand as well as a Hermes click H bracelet. Considering what I paid for them used I would never buy them new... and my pieces look brand-new.
I won't buy secondhand jewelry online because I'm too afraid of fakes. I'm fortunate to have some very good couture consignment shops where I am here in New Jersey and have forged a great relationship with the owners over the years.
You could do a search on Yelp to see if there are any consignment shops in your area worth checking out.

I have bought several pieces of silver Tiffany jewelry second hand as well as a Hermes click H bracelet. Considering what I paid for them used I would never buy them new... and my pieces look brand-new.
I won't buy secondhand jewelry online because I'm too afraid of fakes. I'm fortunate to have some very good couture consignment shops where I am here in New Jersey and have forged a great relationship with the owners over the years.
You could do a search on Yelp to see if there are any consignment shops in your area worth checking out.

Thanks! Are any of the good shops you've visited near the NY border, by any chance?

I know it's really common to purchase a second hand Louis Vuitton, Chanel or Hermes Bag. It saves money and gives flexibility in accessorising, as well as access to discontinued or hard to get lines.

I'm just wondering what people think about luxury second hand jewellery. Like a Tiffany & Co. diamonds by the yard platinum necklace or a VCA bracelet etc.

I've read a couple articles recently so just wondering on others thought about this?

I've bought jewelry from valid resellers. I will say that the prices weren't super great, but the pieces weren't available anymore either so that's what happens. There is still a certain Lagos bracelet I search for, I will find it someday!