Buying returning bag bc its not what they expected but I had like 8 photos!

Leeleerae

Jan 7, 2009
Hi Everyone,
I recently sold an expensive bag on bonanzle. The description had about 8 good and very descriptive photos. Also, the bag is popular, so its been all over the internet.
The buyer emailed me today saying that she wanted to make a return staiting "it not what I thought it would be".
Of course I am going to make the return and honor my return policy, but I am just so confused as to how the bag is not what the buyer thought it would be.
There was a tiny scratch on the bag that was even detailed in photo.

Do you think that people buy just to see if they will like a bag if they know they can return it?

I suppose a few may?

I think it's always the danger of selling online, TBH - people may have never seen the style IRL, before and certainly won't have seen the actual item, of course.

How detailed were your descriptions?

I find really detailed and accurate descriptions (giving dimensions, description of details such as the leather handle, HW finish and the condition [obviously] etc.) just as helpful, in letting me know whether I'd like the item, as pics, personally. :smile:

It was pretty detailed. I guess it doesn't mention the finish of the leather. Here is what I had written, without telling you the item (not sure if I can since there is a link to my site)
# Dual handles
# Silver toned hardware
# 1 Front exterior button/snap pocket
# 1 Front exterior zip pocket
# 1 Front pocket with double belt enclosure
# Twist lock closure
# Top zip closure
# Interior zip pocket
# interior open pockets
# Lined
# Measures: 14" wide on the bottom, 17" wide at center, 14.5" wide at top, 5" deep X 15" high
# Handle Drop: 6.5"
# Comes with dustbag

What other detail would you put in the future? Also, the images included 2 different shots of the bag on a mannequin.

I'll probably keep the bag for myself since I truly loved it, so I am not too upset, but I am just confused.

I'm sorry. It just happens sometime.

For example, I had a buyer tell me "I am disappointed. There is nothing wrong with the bag but I need to return it." I let her even though I say NO RETURNS because I did not want to get neg.

it does happen and one can be frustrated by the comments made..in this case

the fact that the finish wasn't mention might not have made any difference with this

particular buyer..perhaps buyer's remorse..

It was pretty detailed. I guess it doesn't mention the finish of the leather. Here is what I had written, without telling you the item (not sure if I can since there is a link to my site)
# Dual handles
# Silver toned hardware
# Twist lock closure
# Top zip closure
# Interior zip pocket
# interior open pockets
# Lined
# Measures: 14" wide on the bottom, 17" wide at center, 14.5" wide at top, 5" deep X 15" high
# Comes with dustbag

What other detail would you put in the future? Also, the images included 2 different shots of the bag on a mannequin.

I'll probably keep the bag for myself since I truly loved it, so I am not too upset, but I am just confused.

All this plus 8 photos sounds like buyers remorse to me too.:nogood:

Do you think that people buy just to see if they will like a bag if they know they can return it?

BINGO! IMHO you've absolutely nailed the reason. Sorry you've had to experience this.

I sell vintage stuff, so usually include TONS of pics (18 to 24) so buyers know what they are buying. Still, a couple of months ago, despite my "no returns" policy, a psycho returned a bag because she "just didn't care for it". Ugh.

I don't believe her wanting to return the bag has anything to do with your maybe leaving something out of the description or perhaps misrepresenting the bag because that's not what she says. She says she wants to return it because it's not what she thought it would be. To me, if there was something wrong with the bag, or if the bag were somehow different than how you described it, she would have said so. Sounds like buyers remorse.

People use Ebay as a means to "shop" for things and return what they don't want all of the time. That is why so many sellers have a "no returns" policy. Not that it always works but I do believe it is a deterrent against people like this.

# Dual handles
# Silver toned hardware
# Twist lock closure
# Top zip closure
# Interior zip pocket
# interior open pockets
# Lined
# Comes with dustbag

That looks pretty good for starters! :biggrin:

Honestly, I tend to go on and on, when I sell, but this is what I tend to also include:

• Brand, season, official style name and/or description.
  • Type of bag - hobo/tote/clutch/evening bag, or whatever.
  • Is the bag structured, or slouchy? As I think some people definitely prefer one, or the other.
  • Type of leather - is it calf? Or goat? Or lamb?
  • Where's the leather from (if different from where the bag is made)? Some people like European, or Italian leather, for example.
  • A description of the handle of the leather - is it very soft, or firmer, or somewhere in between? As, again, I think this matters to people, a lot.
  • Where the bag was made - some people only buy European made items, or items from France and/or Italy and will baulk if the bag is made in China, or somewhere like that.
  • The official colour.
  • A description of that colour - is it just purple? Or is it actually a muted, brownish red-purple?
  • Do the pics show its true colour?
  • Is the colour very different in different lights? Some can be - so if the buyer receives/unpacks the bag after dark, it might look completely different than it did in your daylight pics, or vice versa.
  • Also, how has that colour been applied to the leather? Is it a very solid colour, or is it more variable? Is it speckled with any other colours, or just a solid colour?
  • A description of the finish of the leather (e.g. natural/unfinished, patent, or whatever).
  • Quality of the materials used - especially if better than one might expect for the brand/price-point.
  • Handmade? If so, definitely mention it.
  • A description of the finish of the HW - what's it made from? Is it shiny, or matt? Is it intentionally vintage-y, or new-looking?
  • Special features - what do you particularly like about it? What do you think others would like about it?
  • What's it most suitable for? Day? Night? Day-to-night? Summer/Winter? etc.
  • What would it look good worn with?

...and of course, detailed and full descriptions of any and all flaws and other issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice ladies!
I emailed with the buyer. She said that she doesn't like how the bag hangs on her arm and that didn't see the images of the bag on the mannequin. Not sure how she missed those pics, but there is nothing I can do.
Its a shame because the bag is awesome.

OP: I neglected to mention that I believe that the information you included in your description was excellent! You gave more than enough information about the bag as well as plenty of photos. When I describe my items, I too try to give as much detail as possible as well as plenty of photos (generally 16-18). Any more than that is overkill, IMO, as well as an assumption that all potential bidders are blind idiots. I like to give my buyers more credit than that. And those who need more information than what has been provided can always feel free to ask. And like you, I know that most buyers out there do in fact know exactly what they want to buy (ESPECIALLY an expensive and popular handbag) which is what leads them to your auction in the first place.

Just as I had assumed, your buyer is a "shopper" and to me, her reasons for wanting to return the bag are ridiculous and the fact that she didn't see the images is not your fault. I do, however, understand your wanting to honor your return policy and I hope you enjoy your bag when it comes back to you.

^ LOL! I certainly don't assume anyone who gives a detailed description is assuming I'm a blind idiot, print*model! :nogood: :lol:

I just assume that they want to ensure I know as much as possble about the bag before BINing, or bidding and are not trying to mislead me, or force me to have to ask a lot of questions.

...and I really appreciate that, personally. :smile:

You can tell quite a lot from pics, but certainly not everything.

That looks pretty good for starters! :biggrin:

Honestly, I tend to go on and on, when I sell, but this is what I tend to also include:

• Brand, season, official style name and/or description.
  • Type of bag - hobo/tote/clutch/evening bag, or whatever.
  • Is the bag structured, or slouchy? As I think some people definitely prefer one, or the other.
  • Type of leather - is it calf? Or goat? Or lamb?
  • Where's the leather from (if different from where the bag is made)? Some people like European, or Italian leather, for example.
  • A description of the handle of the leather - is it very soft, or firmer, or somewhere in between? As, again, I think this matters to people, a lot.
  • Where the bag was made - some people only buy European made items, or items from France and/or Italy and will baulk if the bag is made in China, or somewhere like that.
  • The official colour.
  • A description of that colour - is it just purple? Or is it actually a muted, brownish red-purple?
  • Do the pics show its true colour?
  • Is the colour very different in different lights? Some can be - so if the buyer receives/unpacks the bag after dark, it might look completely different than it did in your daylight pics, or vice versa.
  • Also, how has that colour been applied to the leather? Is it a very solid colour, or is it more variable? Is it speckled with any other colours, or just a solid colour?
  • A description of the finish of the leather (e.g. natural/unfinished, patent, or whatever).
  • Quality of the materials used - especially if better than one might expect for the brand/price-point.
  • Handmade? If so, definitely mention it.
  • A description of the finish of the HW - what's it made from? Is it shiny, or matt? Is it intentionally vintage-y, or new-looking?
  • Special features - what do you particularly like about it? What do you think others would like about it?
  • What's it most suitable for? Day? Night? Day-to-night? Summer/Winter? etc.
  • What would it look good worn with?
...and of course, detailed and full descriptions of any and all flaws and other issues.

WOW...To say you are articulate is an understatement...This is awesome, I have only recently started sellin some of my stuff and I don't even know how to do the measuring right. I just see a bag i like and that's all it takes...I don't know their names/ season's type of leather etc...i can see trouble coming my way with my vague descriptions!!! I hope you dont mind me keeping this list of yours as a guide to help me start. I love bags but never have taken the time to learn all there is about it.

To be honest, I think that when you offer free returns, people abuse it. The other week a woman returned a bag stating that it was for her daughter who decided she didn't "need it". Another woman returned a bag because she didn't like the smell. Another because she thought the bag was to big.
All of the things I have sold have had good photos including pics with a mannequin and good descriptions.

On a much larger scale, look at Zappos. They have huge revenues but much smaller profits because of all the returns they receive.

^^ Of course not - happy if I could help, at all, bonny! :flowers:

Yes, 'articulate' is, possibly, one word to describe me - I'm sure certain other people would probably have others, though! :lol: