Buying preowned Tiffany - how much should I pay

Susan45

O.G.
Jan 4, 2009
Hi is there any kind of rule of thumb when buying preowned 18k Tiffany. Usually when I buy used Items I feel 50% is a good deal. This doesn't seem to be the case with Tiffany. I am looking to buy a bean and people are charging almost new prices for them.

cung

Sep 16, 2011
Well, tiffany has increased the price many times, so if you paid half of retail now it would be almost the price they purchased 5-10 years ago. For me 40% off for branded jewelry like tiffany is a good deal though. Or you could compared the metal plus diamond price to what other jewelrer would charge, just an idea. Good luck with your findings.

Junkenpo

CHOOSE KINDNESS
O.G.
Jan 23, 2007
IN THE MOMENT
Gold prices are higher now, so I guess some sellers feel that with the branding and all the increases, any savings are good savings.

If it is a discontinued piece, then sometimes they feel justified in raising it even higher.

With tiffany.... I think ebay prices are probably going to be more than what you might pay at a local pawn, depending on where you live.

Like anything, something is worth only what you are willing to pay for it.

I lost a one of the pair of my favorite T&Co earrings. The style was discontinued... the lowest price I found for a preowned pair was $50 over what I paid retail about 8-9 years ago. So, I counted myself lucky.

Susan45

O.G.
Jan 4, 2009
Thanks everyone!!! I negotiated a deal on a bean. The seller was selling it for 92% of new and didn't have the pouch or box. It is a newer one without the writing on the back, same as they sell. We went back and forth on the price and I got it for 56%. I didn't expect him to take my offer and he did. Your advice helped. Thank you!!!

alice87

O.G.
Nov 11, 2007
Ebay and paypal charge at least 15 percent. So in order to sell, and not feel like giving it away, these 15 percent needs to be considered. I think this is partially the reason why prices are high. I sold my Tiffany piece (actually silver bean discontinued now) for the retail price I bought around 230. I did not charge tax. And I believe now it is 284 (could be wrong) plus 10 percent tax.
The buyer got it with 30 off discount (from my point of view). Although it is not easy to sell jewelry on ebay.