Buying Pre- loved! Would you keep or return this

This is the gamble buying pre-loved - "buyer beware" as they say at all auction houses.

Depends on the price, if it was a great deal, I guess I'd be thinking 'mystery solved'.
If it wasn't and the work not disclosed I'd be sending it back.

That has to be the key factor in your right to send it back.
It will depend on the source of the bag, just how much weight that would hold.
It will also depend on where you are in the world what legal redress you might have.
The 'buyer beware' so rightly flagged by papertiger.
When so much buying is done on line it is important to look the photos very carefully, ideally on a larger and higher resolution screen than a mobile phone.
Do not take anything for granted.
Question every possible flaw, even if you believe it is just a reflection or trick of the light.
A reputable seller will understand and not mind.
For the starter of this thread, this is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but it is important to ask, 'Has this bag been repaired, painted or re-stitched?' even if all appears to be ok.
The answer provides a trail should you have a problem

Short answer no! I want to be able to take my bag to H to get hardware replaced / any other bits an alternative repair place may not be able to do.
That said, it depends which bag and the price of it. A Garden Party or something of a similar value, picked up at £500 maybe, then yes, possibly as a throw around work / wet weather bag.

Depends on a few things I guess. Did you find out within a reasonable time frame to return? was the price reflective of a bag that had work done? How did you find out?

I think it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, but my decision would ultimately depend on the bag, its rarity, how much I love it, and how well the work was done. If it's anything produced in the past five years, it's going back, but if it's a vintage bag I'd been searching for for the past five years where I can't really tell it was worked on and was otherwise confident it was authentic, I'd lean towards keeping it.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Great point! I notice something was off immediately, and asked the seller about the history. The initial response was they had no knowledge of repairs, and later confirmed that it had been painted and re stitched. I actually like the purse, and can live with the repairs. I guess my real concern now is future repairs. In the event the bag requires hardware replacement or other repairs, I wouldn’t know if Hermes would do the work

Great point! I notice something was off immediately, and asked the seller about the history. The initial response was they had no knowledge of repairs, and later confirmed that it had been painted and re stitched. I actually like the purse, and can live with the repairs. I guess my real concern now is future repairs. In the event the bag requires hardware replacement or other repairs, I wouldn’t know if Hermes would do the work
They won’t. Hermes will not work on any bag that has been repaired by a third party.