Buying older "classic" Chanel pieces at current retail price

handbagkay

Dec 5, 2015
Hi all, I recently purchased a pre-owned classic black zip-o coin case, and I paid about the same amount as the current retail price in the US ($500 plus tax). It's in great condition, however it's a 22 series piece, so originally sold back in 2016-17 for $475. My question is, is it reasonable for an older piece to have the same value as a brand new one (since they are essentially the same thing)? Obviously this is a classic piece that will be around forever, so I don't feel that I overpaid, but I just want to know others' thoughts. :smile: I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

If you paid retail price for it, then couldn't you find one in store? I don't think it is reasonable, especially since this item is still in stores. Also with the price increases, this item was probably cheaper 2 years ago. People charge retail price for items that are still in stores, because they know people will buy them.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
If you paid retail price for it, then couldn't you find one in store? I don't think it is reasonable, especially since this item is still in stores. Also with the price increases, this item was probably cheaper 2 years ago. People charge retail price for items that are still in stores, because they know people will buy them.
I mean it’s one of the classic pieces that is always in stores, it’s not a seasonal piece. So it potentially could be in store, but I would be paying the same price for it that I paid for the 22 series one. :smile: although, as far as I know, they are pretty popular and often sell out.

I’m just wondering if even though this piece originally sold for $475 before the price increase, but retails for $500 today, if paying today’s retail price for it is reasonable even though it’s a year or two old; or if it was unfairly priced and I paid too much.

I honestly wouldn't pay retail for anything that wasn't brand new and purchased from the boutique. Do I think it's unreasonable? Personally? Yes.

BUT, the price for anything in the 2nd hand world is whatever someone is willing to pay for the item...so as long as someone's buying it, it isn't "unreasonable"; to that buyer anyway.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't pay retail for anything that wasn't brand new and purchased from the boutique. Do I think it's unreasonable? Well, the price for anything in the 2nd hand world is whatever someone is willing to pay for the item...so as long as someone's buying it, it isn't "unreasonable"; to that buyer anyway.
Yeah, I agree. I certainly wouldn’t pay ABOVE retail, which is something that seems to happen a lot for sought-after items... most black zip o-cases like the one I purchased I see listed on resale websites for above retail, so I guess compared to that I payed a “reasonable” price.

I sold an o-case for above retail. I think I paid $425 at the time. I sold it for $550. It was available in the boutique. But I got the feeling she was a first time Chanel buyer. She either didn’t know the price, didn’t think they were in stock or didn’t have a relationship with an SA to have one shipped. She came back to ask if I had another one, so she was happy.

Reactions: lvn1nja
I sold an o-case for above retail. I think I paid $425 at the time. I sold it for $550. It was available in the boutique. But I got the feeling she was a first time Chanel buyer. She either didn’t know the price, didn’t think they were in stock or didn’t have a relationship with an SA to have one shipped. She came back to ask if I had another one, so she was happy.
I guess this kind of describes me. I’m relatively new to buying Chanel and don’t have an SA :sad: oh well. Even if I did overpay for it, I’m not really upset about it.

Reactions: PurpleLilac97