Buying LVs- cash or debit card or credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cash or debit card. I just recently downsized to one credit card for emergencies only. I have never had an LV emergency :smile:. At the end of the day I am not carrying a bag that I have to worry about paying for while lusting for another one :nogood:. I also would not want an $800 LV wallet with NO money in it:tdown:

Debit card. Almost never use cash nowadays and don't believe in credit cards, I just don't see the point. Am thinking of getting a credit card to get flight or store points though, but it will have to be one of those where you can load money beforehand, don't like the idea of paying a month after I bought something but that's just me =)

=If I can't afford it now I don't buy it.

I have also seen people pay cash for much more expensive items than I did and I always wonder if they are hiding the purchase from their parents/spouse.

That's an assumption that kind of jumps to conclusion without any real basis IMO. I'm a grown woman; my parents are deceased, and I'm divorced. So none of these would apply to me - I just pay cash because it's my preferred method of payment. I would hate to think people are automatically jumping to the conclusion I'm dishonest and hiding things from my family just because I'm trying to be frugal and pay with cash.

So far, no one has had x-ray vision to be able to tell what is in my wallet - LOL! I think people generally assume people aren't carrying large amounts of cash, so I've never been more afraid with cash than without.

I would think if someone were married, using well over $1,000 in cash would be rather difficult to hide, so I don't think using cash to pay for expensive luxury items wouldn't work. Besides, wouldn't the husband notice it? And I sure think parents would. When my 3 daughters lived at home, believe me I noticed expensive items. I think people often think they are getting away with hiding things that their family members know exactly what they are doing - LOL!

I only buy luxury items with my disposable income! With that said, sometimes I pay cash (I'm not afraid to carry cash with me and it does fit in my josephine wallet just fine ;) ) sometimes Debit or lately I'm trying to earn those points so I use my Amex.
Pros on using your CC or DC, if you need to return something it's alot easier in terms of getting your money back. With CC/DC they will just credit it back to your account. With cash, I think they will mail you a check??? I could be wrong though :smile:

Last edited:
I don't like carrying large amounts of cash, I'm always scared that I'll lose it. Debit card for me! I did pay with cash once at LV and they looked at me kind of funny. I guess they weren't used to that!

I agree that you should never buy any item you have to finance via a credit card or loan. House is the only exception.

I think you SHOULD use a credit card though. Never pay an annual fee and get a card that gives you points or rewards. Also there are certain protections you get with a credit card you do not get with cash or a debit card.

Example: tried to return something to Best Buy I purchased for Christmas on my credit card. Best Buy said I could not return it. Mailed the item back to BB and disputed the charge on my credit card. Would have been stuck if I had paid cash.

I agree that you should never buy any item you have to finance via a credit card or loan. House is the only exception.

I think you SHOULD use a credit card though. Never pay an annual fee and get a card that gives you points or rewards. Also there are certain protections you get with a credit card you do not get with cash or a debit card.

Example: tried to return something to Best Buy I purchased for Christmas on my credit card. Best Buy said I could not return it. Mailed the item back to BB and disputed the charge on my credit card. Would have been stuck if I had paid cash.

Great point.

I'm surprised by all the cash and debit card responses. DH and I put everything on a CC to help us see how much we are spending. We always pay our CC bill as soon as it becomes due. Chase points have given us almost $1k cash back in less than a year!

Always use credit card. I usually don't know the amount I will spend when I go, if anything, so I do not want to carry cash for security and if I lose it. Then if there is are issues , you are protected by the cc. Plus, I do not have a store near me so many of my purchases via phone and if there is a problem it is easier to correct on a cc than a debit card. Plus I use the cc to earn points!

Assuming your purchase is an affordable one for you, and it's only a matter of which method is preferred, I'd always go credit card. Not only do you get the points/ cash back, but there are insurances on most good credit cards that you don't get paying cash or debit.

For example, my credit card offers protection should any item charged in full become lost, stolen or damaged within a certain time frame. So if your new handbag that you just paid cash for is stolen 15 minutes after you leave the store, too bad for you. Bought with a credit card? No big deal-- get the charge reversed and go buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.